Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

LEO opinion

Old 10-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
LEO opinion

About 5 days ago, a 13year old kid was walking down the street carrying an airsoft gun that was a replica AK-47. The officers pulled over, got out and said they asked the kid to put the gun down. According to the officer, the kid turned around and aimed the gun at him and his partner. The officer, a 24year veteran shot 8 times at the kid and 7 shots hit him, and he died there at the scene. The sheriff was training a guy new to the dept. This account is based off of one eyewitness and the officer who shot him. The kid was mexican and walking through a predominately mexican neighborhood in SW Santa Rosa,CA. This neighborhood has gang members that frequently have shootouts. There are tons of speculation about what happened and what the officers should have done. I am curious what other LEO's have to say about what happened and what they would have done. I'm not anti-LEO or anything, im just curious about procedure when officers encounter this type of situation. This is not a thread to bash cops. I just want opinions of LEO's as to this incident. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
I have a feeling this thread will be locked by nightfall.

But if the facts reported are actually the facts, the kid just made a dumb decision. You do not walk around a Commiefornia neighborhood with any type of firearm in plain view. Period.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
About 5 days ago, a 13year old kid was walking down the street carrying an airsoft gun that was a replica AK-47. The officers pulled over, got out and said they asked the kid to put the gun down. According to the officer, the kid turned around and aimed the gun at him and his partner. The officer, a 24year veteran shot 8 times at the kid and 7 shots hit him, and he died there at the scene. The sheriff was training a guy new to the dept. This account is based off of one eyewitness and the officer who shot him. The kid was mexican and walking through a predominately mexican neighborhood in SW Santa Rosa,CA. This neighborhood has gang members that frequently have shootouts. There are tons of speculation about what happened and what the officers should have done. I am curious what other LEO's have to say about what happened and what they would have done. I'm not anti-LEO or anything, im just curious about procedure when officers encounter this type of situation. This is not a thread to bash cops. I just want opinions of LEO's as to this incident. Thanks.
What is there to discuss?
The kid pointed a weapon at a officers and the officers reacted appropriately.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Tough call, I would have felt threatened knowing the neighborhood. Not sure I would have needed 8 rounds.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
It's one of those "damed if you do, damed if you don't" things.

Last week a 12 year old walked into a school and shot up a bunch of kids. Someone probably thought that gun was a dummy.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ View Post
I have a feeling this thread will be locked by nightfall.
But if the facts reported are actually the facts, the kid just made a dumb decision. You do not walk around a Commiefornia neighborhood with any type of firearm in plain view. Period.
This is not a thread to bash cops, as I stated. I just want to hear from LEOs as to the procedure the sheriff followed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
What is there to discuss?
The kid pointed a weapon at a officers and the officers reacted appropriately.
No discussion wanted. I want to hear from LEOs and their opinion on how the sheriff reacted. That's why I put it into the LEO section.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICER BASHING THREAD!!!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
This is not a thread to bash cops, as I stated. I just want to hear from LEOs as to the procedure the sheriff followed.

No discussion wanted. I want to hear from LEOs and their opinion on how the sheriff reacted. That's why I put it into the LEO section.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICER BASHING THREAD!!!!!
I don;t think anybody bashed any officers but ok...
Old 10-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
XXXXL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ View Post
I don;t think anybody bashed any officers but ok...
Throwing it out there so it wont.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
So sad I'd say, that the officer could have been shot, so you'd think he'd be acting in self defense.. maybe?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely tragic. However, if you are carrying something that looks like a real gun, and ANYONE tells you to drop it, DROP IT! Don't turn and point it at them! If you look at the photos, there was no orange "safety tip", there were no bright color plastics, and reportedly the kid had another toy gun that looked real shoved in his waistband.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
TrooperJoe is a name known to allTrooperJoe is a name known to allTrooperJoe is a name known to allTrooperJoe is a name known to allTrooperJoe is a name known to allTrooperJoe is a name known to all
TrooperJoe's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a 9 year LEO vet....

based on the OP's post.... if it happened like he described.... it's a good shooting and justified.

It's sad that it was a child, but regardless.... it's a legal shoot.

as far as the amount of rounds used.... Law enforcement is trained to use as many rounds necessary to stop the threat. If he used 1 or 100... it is irrelevant. It's all about perception of threat.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperJoe View Post
I'm a 9 year LEO vet....

based on the OP's post.... if it happened like he described.... it's a good shooting and justified.

as far as the amount of rounds used.... Law enforcement is trained to use as many rounds necessary to stop the threat. If he used 1 or 100... it is irrelevant. It's all about perception of threat.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
very tragic but the officer acted the way he should. It really sucks. however as stated previously, a 13 year old kid could just as easy kill you as any other age person of any gender. with as many school shootings and other things you can't be sure of what's what and who's who. very unfortunate incident. I'm sure any officer that has shot and killed someone will tell you it's hard thing to do especially when it's a kid. must be worse.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
That's a tough situation for all parties involved. The parents lost a child. The officer will be scrutinized for a split second life or death decision he had to make.

Why does the article mention that he is Mexican in a predominately Mexican neighborhood. What difference does that make? I'm white and live in a predominately white - well not really lol- neighborhood. White males get no free pass to point AK47's at me. None.

Scary times we live in. Stay safe.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
XXXXL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post
That's a tough situation for all parties involved. The parents lost a child. The officer will be scrutinized for a split second life or death decision he had to make.

Why does the article mention that he is Mexican in a predominately Mexican neighborhood. What difference does that make? I'm white and live in a predominately white - well not really lol- neighborhood. White males get no free pass to point AK47's at me. None.

Scary times we live in. Stay safe.
The residents are organizing protests and marches saying the shooting was racially motivated. The identities of the sheriffs is being kept private due to the amount of death threats received by the sheriffs dept. The residents say they are unfairly targeted by the sheriffs dept. Deportations, impounding of cars, and traffic stops are claimed to be racially motivated by the residents of this neighborhood. That's why the article is bringing race into the incident. You know the media, they love to exacerbate things.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperJoe View Post
I'm a 9 year LEO vet....

+1
Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #17
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
1st not a LEO. But I work for many of them in my job.
I asked around a similar question because my daughter's BF has modified air soft guns (collection) and they look freakin real. He had one on his dashboard and I told him he was being stupid. You threaten a man with a gun with a gun, it's bound to happen. I'm sure the cop feels like shit, but he made the correct move I think.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
License2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shedLicense2Ill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
License2Ill's Tacoma Gallery
Not leo or hispanic. But lived in SR a number of years. And that neighbor is no bueno.

Quote:
During Thursday's autopsy, Dr. Arthur Josselson with the Forensic Medical Group determined one of the fatal bullets entered the right side of Lopez's chest and a second fatal wound was caused by a bullet that entered his right hip, Henry said.

Lopez was also wounded on his right wrist, left bicep, right forearm, right buttocks and right hip, all non-fatal injuries, Henry said. The doctor recovered three bullets from the body.

Doesn't seem from the bullet wounds he had the ability to raise the plastic gun at the officer by the time he was shot because he was at that moment turning around apon hearing their commands. Sometime a minute can take seconds. I'd like to imagine the ofcr felt justified. But then again who can know...

Hopefully police will soon be outfitted with tamperproof cameras so we no longer half to question these actions.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #19
XXXXL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by License2Ill View Post
Not leo or hispanic. But lived in SR a number of years. And that neighbor is no bueno.

Doesn't seem from the bullet wounds he had the ability to raise the plastic gun at the officer by the time he was shot because he was at that moment turning around apon hearing their commands. Sometime a minute can take seconds. I'd like to imagine the ofcr felt justified. But then again who can know...

Hopefully police will soon be outfitted with tamperproof cameras so we no longer half to question these actions.
The police released more info yesterday. A person was driving in front of the sheriffs and said he warned the boy the police were following him and to drop the gun. The boy had his back to the sheriffs and was carrying the airsoft in his left hand and upon hearing the squelch of the siren and the officer yell at him, lifted the gun and turned to his right towards the officers. Thats when the deputy sheriff(riding shotgun), shot at him.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by License2Ill View Post

I would kill for a camera!!! Dude They would need to build more prisons. There's no denying or lying in court when you got them dead to rights on video. Gees I would never have to go to court again wooo hoooo