Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Speed Enforcement Tactics

Old 12-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #41
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
Just maybe, they are running a speed test against the "radar" unit.
This is a policy approved radar testing method.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #42
Dave23487 has much to be proud ofDave23487 has much to be proud ofDave23487 has much to be proud ofDave23487 has much to be proud ofDave23487 has much to be proud ofDave23487 has much to be proud ofDave23487 has much to be proud ofDave23487 has much to be proud ofDave23487 has much to be proud of

Army: MP
Name: Dave
Dave23487's Tacoma Gallery
People start doing erratic things when lights and sirens are on. I know a couple departments that run code 2 without lights or sirens and are usually in a big hurry; they may turn them on to pass through an intersection and then turn them off again immediately after.
There are a lot of things that LEO may speed to get to, but will not run the risk of causing a more serious accident by turning on the lights and/or sirens.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #43
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave23487 View Post
People start doing erratic things when lights and sirens are on. I know a couple departments that run code 2 without lights or sirens and are usually in a big hurry; they may turn them on to pass through an intersection and then turn them off again immediately after.
There are a lot of things that LEO may speed to get to, but will not run the risk of causing a more serious accident by turning on the lights and/or sirens.

As a volunteer firefighter I mainly use my lights on my truck for when I pull on an accident scene to warn traffic or block a road off. Every now and again I will run my lights going to a call depending upon what it is. On main roads with lots of traffic most of the time I am better off leaving everything off and running with traffic. Generally I will arrive quicker as I don't have to worry about slowing down for people in front of me as I am meeting oncoming traffic and I still cannot pass. Sometimes there just is not enough shoulder for others to pull completely out of the way. Just my opinion here.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #44
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
This is the interwebz! Opinions are not tolerated here!
Old 12-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #45
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Or don't speed. I got 1 ticket and it was enough to get me to stop
Old 12-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #46
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
How about this one, is this entrapment??

Again, I have no complaints, I think it is funny as heck. Even some of the folks caught DUI or drugs had a good laugh with the officers over their own stupidity.

One night recently, on another Middle GA interstate, they conducted a large joint task force dragnet where they put up a big flashing marquee "DUI/LICENSE CHECKPOINT AHEAD" beside the interstate. It is way out in the sticks so you pass the sign then next you approach a little traveled, unlit exit ramp surrounded by woods mostly.

If some reason you panicked and jumped off there, you are screwed because the real check point was at the top of that ramp. They even had officers camo'd in the woods to spot flip-arounds or thrown out items.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #47
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt596 View Post
Idk, I don't see why people speed to begin with. And usually it's the same people that text, and drink n drive too
BECAUSE RACETRUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
Saying that usually the speeders are the same ones that text and drive and drink and drive is kinda ridiculous....everyone that drives a car has sped and has the tendency and ability to speed at any given time. Its not a certain group or groups of drivers that usually speed.
You're a cop, we cant be friends anymore
Old 12-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #48
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Not entrapment because you knew it was coming up. They don't have to tell where it is.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #49
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
Not entrapment because you knew it was coming up. They don't have to tell where it is.

Exactly. They said "AHEAD"

Who has ever seen roadblocks directly on the interstate? Unless they happen to be looking for someone in particular that is a major, major threat.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #50
ragin cajun
jboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: joseph
jboudreaux1965's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
This is not a complaint thread, just a question I have out of curiosity.

There is one particular county along I-75 through GA where the local deputies spend a LOT of time checking speed on the interstate. Nothing unfair, but it's common knowledge among frequent travelers that 9 times out of 10 passing through they will be out there checking. Again nothing out of the ordinary, the limit is 70 and they will ignore if you are not doing 80+.

But one odd thing I have noticed on several different trips is a deputy will fly past everyone doing near 100 in the left lane but with no blue lights on.

You assume he is after someone ahead, but then he disappears off the next exit ramp. Then half a mile or so past the exit, yep, there sits another officer shooting radar. I know it was not the same guy because it is a different vehicle (SUV). What piqued my curiosity is it was the exact same scenario each time. Flies past, disappears then the other guy is shooting up ahead.

I assume if he is responding to an emergency there would be lights and the second guy might be responding too. It caused me to wonder if it wasn't a decoy like there was an emergency elsewhere so the coast is clear now.

Anyone ever heard of this before?

they are flip-flopping, the write a ticket, then speed off to the next exit and either post up there or watch for speeders behind them and get off at the exit and then get back on the interstate once the speeder passes.

do note, although they never get held accountable, unless they are on an emergency call or see something giving them probable cause, they can not speed or endanger other drivers, at least in Louisiana. here they run red lights and speed through intersections with cameras through every day while just cruising around and do not have to pay the fines... not fair, just the way it is.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #51
ragin cajun
jboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Exactly. They said "AHEAD"

Who has ever seen roadblocks directly on the interstate? Unless they happen to be looking for someone in particular that is a major, major threat.
not on the interstate, but on federal highway 167 in louisiana one time the state police safety officers blocked the highway (completely and this is a major therefore) and inspected every vehicle for insurance, registration, equipment violations, current license, etc

they got me because my tires were 1 inch wider than my fenders.

(this was at about 2pm in the afternoon)

true story

louisiana state troopers do on a regular basis block the exit ramp on I-12 exit 63 A-B and highway 190 at the causeway, at all times of day, traffic there is horrible anyway, when they do it at rush hour it really does piss me off, backs up traffic for miles and miles and miles! guess its quota time as they say, lol! (i know they don't have quota's, its just a joke) they make everyone funnel through a little space so they can check inspection stickers!
Old 06-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #52
ragin cajun
Quote:
How about this one, is this entrapment??

Again, I have no complaints, I think it is funny as heck. Even some of the folks caught DUI or drugs had a good laugh with the officers over their own stupidity.

One night recently, on another Middle GA interstate, they conducted a large joint task force dragnet where they put up a big flashing marquee "DUI/LICENSE CHECKPOINT AHEAD" beside the interstate. It is way out in the sticks so you pass the sign then next you approach a little traveled, unlit exit ramp surrounded by woods mostly.

If some reason you panicked and jumped off there, you are screwed because the real check point was at the top of that ramp. They even had officers camo'd in the woods to spot flip-arounds or thrown out items.

if you think thats funny you will LOVE THIS!

i live off of amajor highway on side street, few times a year they put up those DUI checkpoints. back then i was working nights, got off around midnight. well there was a DUI checkpoint past my street, thought nothing of it, turned on my street, pulled into my driveway. 3 POLICE CARS right away pull up, i had not even got out of my truck yet. the first one to walk up said something to the effect that they noticed i turned off to avoid the check point and asked if i had been drinking?

right away i said "NOPE! just got off of work bout 20 minutes ago, just bought me a bottle of bourbon though" (and held it up, in the bag, unopened) "tell you what come back in about 2 hours i'll be 3 sheets to the wind, if you guys want to come on by when your done"

they all all laughed and left, lol
Old 06-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #53
Whitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud ofWhitster has much to be proud of

Name: Whit
Whitster's Tacoma Gallery
The LEO's in VA have a little game to apprehend drivers with 'illegal' radar detectors.

They hide in areas with a good view of oncoming traffic and hit their radar gun with a long blast. Another car positioned to see brake lights radios ahead to his partner/s the car description and lane of any car hitting brake lights at same time of transmission.

The partner then pulls you over with 'probable cause' and take their 'illegal' detector into custody as evidence and writes the summons.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #54
ragin cajun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitster View Post
The LEO's in VA have a little game to apprehend drivers with 'illegal' radar detectors.

They hide in areas with a good view of oncoming traffic and hit their radar gun with a long blast. Another car positioned to see brake lights radios ahead to his partner/s the car description and lane of any car hitting brake lights at same time of transmission.

The partner then pulls you over with 'probable cause' and take their 'illegal' detector into custody as evidence and writes the summons.
what makes a radar detector 'illegal'? certain brand? just curious
Old 06-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #55
o0o Flaming Skull Member o0o
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboudreaux1965 View Post
what makes a radar detector 'illegal'? certain brand? just curious
Just the fact that it detects RADAR makes it illegal in VA. If we were allowed to have them like many other states, the Commonwealth would lose too much revenue.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #56
ragin cajun
ah ok, you had me worried but i live in probably the furtherest place possible from VA in the US without being in Alaska or Hawaii lol! so guess i am ok
Old 06-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #57
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ah ok, you had me worried but i live in probably the furtherest place possible from VA in the US without being in Alaska or Hawaii lol! so guess i am ok
California? Abbeyville is still pretty close
Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #58
ragin cajun
lol, but i bet anyone here can find california, but give em $100 to drive down to abbeville and they would be scratchin' there head looking at a map for an hour and give up, LOL!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #59

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol, but i bet anyone here can find california, but give em $100 to drive down to abbeville and they would be scratchin' there head looking at a map for an hour and give up, LOL!
Ivan find it with my eyes closed
Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #60
ragin cajun
ya, but that cheating, your from here, if your not from here. its kinda like when i used to live in venice, no one who ever wanted to come visit could find it, i would just tell them to get on hwy 23, they would always say "well then what" well i would say if your truck seems to be in the gulf, you went about 500 yards to far, lol!

(ya i know thats not the gulf, you would end up at the end of coast guard road or cypress marina, or at the shrimp dock but ya get the idea )

abbeville the same way, i tellem get on hwy 167, they ask then what? well you will know when you went to far, if you pass a chevy dealership then see nothing for a while, you went a couple miles too far, lol

this is fun,didnt expect some cajun folks to be around here