Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Slow down, MOVE OVER

Old 12-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNasti View Post
Motorists should move over for any vehicle on the shoulder, especially LEOs. My brother in law says he'd rather give the speeder a warning and go after the guy who didn't move over.
Absolutely... I slow down and move over or stop if there is another vehicle coming and if there are pedestrians or something/someone on the side of the road.

People are either distracted or not courteous enough.
Pisses me off...
Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #22
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not trying to be a dick or a smart ass, just genuinely curious here, is it slow down and move over, or slow down or move over?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I'm not trying to be a dick or a smart ass, just genuinely curious here, is it slow down and move over, or slow down or move over?
Slow down AND move over.

if possible and reasonable... Just common sense
If you can't move over you must slow down.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't think it has to be both in Texas

Edit: Found THIS
Old 12-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #25
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Slow down AND move over.

if possible and reasonable... Just common sense
If you can't move over you must slow down.
Common sense to someone who obviously knows the law isn't common sense to a regular civillian. They don't teach slow down / move over in driver's ed, they didn't in mine anyway nor did they in any of my friends calsses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
I don't think it has to be both in Texas

Edit: Found THIS
Thank you for this.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #26
2013TuRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Bruce
2013TuRD's Tacoma Gallery
I don't believe we have any such law here, but I've been doing this for the last 30 years at least, whether the stopped vehicle is an emergency vehicle or not.

If I see a vehicle on the shoulder of the highway, I change lanes away from it, someone may step out from behind it, open the door, or if they're really stupid, be lying under the vehicle with their feet out toward traffic. I've seen parents with their kids out going potty on the side of a multi lane, divided hwy for F**KS sake.

The stopped vehicle may also move back into the roadway.

It just makes sense to give yourself a bit more room if you can.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #27
Changeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Changeling's Tacoma Gallery
I was from Virginia, now in Maryland!! I'm on the road practically every day but haven’t seen a state cop in at least a week, hardly ever see them anymore!
Once in a while you might see a county cop, but that's fairly seldom also.

The people here think they are being screened for a part in a "To fast and furious Movie"!
They will ride within 2 or 3 feet constantly giving you the finger, like get out of my way!
Pass you on the right or left, they don't give a dam!
I just take my foot off the gas and let the vehicle slow down. most go absolutely berserk then!!!

Someone above said something about being on a side road with a 25 mph speed limit, so do I, I can sit you outside my house any day you choose and see them come by from 25 to 70 or more, that is a fact.

Then you say why not call the police, everyone has, they don't even bother to come.

I've written the governor, you don't even get a reply. Go sit in a Frederick Maryland court and watch them get a guilty verdict with a suspended sentence and warning.
Young girls/women will NOT get anything, if they ever make it to court!
The police might work where you are but not in Frederick Maryland or smaller towns like Monrovia!

Go to the police station and complain. Answer, well we didn't see it!

Then get the "WE AREN'T GODS SPEECH" , That will really make your freaking day!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
JLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Former NH LEO
JLee50's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNasti View Post
Motorists should move over for any vehicle on the shoulder, especially LEOs. My brother in law says he'd rather give the speeder a warning and go after the guy who didn't move over.
I worked this specifically with another guy one night - one of us who stop a car, then the second car would wait for someone to blow by without moving over. We leapfrogged down the road, grabbing one car after another. It's ridiculous how many people don't move over.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #29
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Common sense to someone who obviously knows the law isn't common sense to a regular civillian. They don't teach slow down / move over in driver's ed, they didn't in mine anyway nor did they in any of my friends calsses.

Thank you for this.
I'm not sure about your state sir, here there are signs posted on all multi lane highways stating its state law to slow down and move over for parked emergency vehicles.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #30
BuddyS is on a distinguished road
BuddyS's Tacoma Gallery
It's sad that they even need to make laws requiring people to do something so courteous/safety conscious as "slow down and move over" but the sad fact is so many drivers out there are clueless morons, and as noted above many of them are driving while talking or texting. I honestly think many are in that hypnotic driving state of mind and they never even THINK to give a trooper or disabled motorist a little safety room. Sad.

20 years ago I lived in Hawaii (Big Island) and it was AMAZING how attentive and disciplined people were about pulling off to the side of the road when an ambulance or officer came by with his/her lights on. I'd never seen such good response. Can anyone in Hawaii say if it's still that good?