Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Speeding ticket

Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I know exactly where you mean and I agree it is kind of strange the limit is not higher since they widened the road. Was it the county or the GSP?

I ask because I have had luck before by calling the sherrif's office and politely asking them to give me a break and they did. I freely admitted to speeding but asked them to reconsider whether I had actually passed the sign changing 55 down to 45, because I kind of thought I might have been still in the 55 when he clocked me at 70. They were nice enough to change it for me, saving me some $$$.

I don't know if the situation is the same, but when they first opened the new 5 lane stretch of Houson Lake, it was 45 and they patrolled it like a hawk almost every day, still do. Then after about a year the signs changed to 55. Maybe just for the residents sake, to condition everyone they aren't going to tolerate higher speeds before they set the limit to the final number?

So bottom line is I think you might stand a chance of getting a break because I am pretty sure they are mostly in a "public education" mode for the benefit of the residents, who all lost half their yards due to the widening, as opposed to a real danger crackdown mode. Just trying to emphasize this new road is not a new speedway, although much improved. I drive that road at least once if not twice daily going to work and I see someone pulled over almost every day since it opened. So try giving them a call.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #22
Lordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I never answered this, but this was a county sheriff.

Ok so I have court on Thursday on the speeding ticket. No luck calling the DA and working out a deal. Something that really bothers me is the day I go into court the speed limit gets raised to 50 mph. Is there more of a chance they will cut me a deal? I figured I would bring the newspaper article in about speed limit being raised.

I don't have enough time to take a dd class. I just started a job and about to get married.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #23
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordaca View Post

Ok so I have court on Thursday on the speeding ticket. No luck calling the DA and working out a deal. Something that really bothers me is the day I go into court the speed limit gets raised to 50 mph. Is there more of a chance they will cut me a deal? I figured I would bring the newspaper article in about speed limit being raised.

I don't have enough time to take a dd class. I just started a job and about to get married.
Isnt the class on line?
Old 02-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #24
Lordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
I am pretty sure they law is that you have to go to a class in person. No online class are accepted. I will just keep everyone updated and see how it goes.

From what I gather small towns don't care about points just getting their money from the fine.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:47 AM   #25
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
I just looked it up, the drivers ed class is offered online in Georgia...

You should be able to find time in your busy schedule to complete the online class for about the same as the fine, or, pay the fine, and increased insurance premiums for several years....

I think I would opt for the online class no matter how busy I may be...
Old 02-26-2014, 05:26 AM   #26
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.dds.ga.gov/training/defen...ngschools.aspx

This is where I get that online defensive driving courses are not accepted. I am just going to go to court and hopefully catch a break. I don't have anything on my record. I have a defensive driving course already that I took at work and I thought about bringing that in. That was taken on 11/1/2012.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #27
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

I would guess probably yes, the new limit might help your case. When I called them it was the sherrif's office and it was a day or so after the ticket, before it got sent over to the courthouse. The guy said he would take a look and probably lower it for me and he did. But that was 5 years ago or more.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #28
frizzman is on a distinguished road

frizzman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake72 View Post
in Pa you can send it in not guilty, and show up to a hearing. judge will ask the cop if he cut you a break, if not they will reduce it to failure to obey traffic device or something non moving violation.
^ This in PA

I was given a ticket in the mail for "failure to stop at red light" or something to that nature. The cop basically said I ran a red light... on a highway... doing 50+... and he wrote down my plate #. I got the one superman with long distance eyesight in the whole state...

Anyway I went down to magistrate at lunch break, paid the "not guilty" fee to have my day/time in front of the judge. You have to pay something when pleading not guilty for a hold.

The cop showed up as most do now, they make a day of it with all their tickets so as not to lose time (they still get paid for it, but at least they are getting efficient). and the judge asked a few questions, saw i had a clean record. He then asked the officer if he would be OK with no points and paying the rest of the court fees/lowered fine and the officer said sure.

Basically they either expect you to pay it out as guilty or at least show up to take responsibility. Unless they are complete asses most are cool with you paying up some fine and walking away a little wiser.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #29

Quote:

Definitely take the paper but "at the time of the ticket" is going to be more important since that was the posted limit when you got the ticket.

Just like any fine print "subject to change without notice" goes for the state as well.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #30
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
Just so I make it clear that I don't mind paying the ticket. I was speeding its that simple. I just don't like that it will increase my insurance for the next so many years. Like all of you have said if you show up take responsibility for it and hopefully catch a break. I mean court is tomorrow I am going to just post on how it all went. I guess what I am more upset about I just feel like it was a speed trap and I got caught by it. Also being out of town I think it was an immediate ticket since normally people will just pay it and move on.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #31
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
Name: Erik
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Last time I got ticketed I found a lawyer that fixed it - it has been several years, I think I had to pay an equipment fine and lawyer - Like $100 all together.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #32
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
if the cop didnt cut you a brake on the ticket, I bet the judge will offer reduced ticket for disobeying traffic device= no points just a fine.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #33
Middle Age Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake72 View Post
if the cop didnt cut you a brake on the ticket, I bet the judge will offer reduced ticket for disobeying traffic device= no points just a fine.
I would probably bet money they will at least reduce it in court, so that no points go on the record. (That is unless you get this one "Judge Judy" magistrate lady but I think she was Warner Robins city court. She made me pay the full fine plus court fee just for an inadvertantly expired tag. I thought I could go in, show I paid the tags + late penalty and they would dismiss it. This was many years back)

I am familiar with the road the OP is talking about. They just recently widened it from 2 lane to five and then put up the the 40 signs. I am not 100% sure but I think it was 50 or so before the widening. It was planned to start with 40 for a couple months then relax to 50, because they have done other new construction the same way in the county.

They could have even issued the change when the OP got flagged, just hadn't gotten around to the signs. 10 or less over is usally not going to get you stopped around here, unless other road conditions dictate.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #34
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know because that is what I am hoping for. Some people have said that they can be hard a$$e$ and stick it to you. I have a clean record and just want to keep it that way. I made a mistake and if you are familiar with that road its easy to go faster than posted unless you are riding your brakes. Too be honest its one of the best roads I have been on.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #35
Middle Age Member
Quote:
Good to know because that is what I am hoping for. Some people have said that they can be hard a$$e$ and stick it to you. I have a clean record and just want to keep it that way. I made a mistake and if you are familiar with that road its easy to go faster than posted unless you are riding your brakes. Too be honest its one of the best roads I have been on.

I definitely agree, I find myself absent-mindedly pushing 55+ at some point every day on it and I didn't even realize they had changed it to 50 already. Many are usually passing me too. I think one reason they've been monitoring it pretty heavy is the nearby high shool and teenage traffic as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #36
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to update everyone on the end results. I was amazed at how many people were there when I went up to the court. Anyways they did what everyone said. You go there in person they reduced it down to no points and I paid the fine and leave. This was 4 hours of being at the courthouse but no points. They also stated with it being reduced down so much it does not get reported to the state and I shouldn't have an increase in insurance. This is a big deal being only 25 and didnt want to pay a ton extra on insurance the rest of my life.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #37

yep, most of the time they only care about the money being paid. now don't get another one for a long time otherwise they will give you points

like I mentioned before they lump all of the tickets they give out into one day to make it easier on them to show up in court and cut down on time-waste
Old 06-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #38
ragin cajun
jboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjboudreaux1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: joseph
jboudreaux1965's Tacoma Gallery
just a tid bit from my similar story

i got a ticket that was reported as me doing 25mph over one time. in this state 20+ you do get arrested. i went to court and thought it would be a normal ticket, just pay the fine and lick your wounds. well when i was about to go in front of the judge the public defender pulled me aside and basically asked why i was not here with a lawyer, i told him i figured it was just a speeding ticket, no big deal. what another member mentioned is true, the public defender told me i would most likely be charged with endangerment! and to plead not guilty and he advised to get a lawyer.

NOW THE ABSOLUTE MOST STAND-UP AND BALLSY THING I HAVE EVER SEEN A LEO DO WHEN HE REALLY DID NOT HAVE TO....

when i went in front the judge he read the offense and asked why i would be going 25MPH over the speed limit and out of the blue a LEO in the court room stood up and said, 'judge could you repeat the location again?' the judge did, the LEO said 'sir at that location the speed limit is 70mph not 65mph' and sat down

so now i only have to deal with a 20mph over.

i did get a lawyer, i went overboard, i admit, i have a frat brother who represents serious criminals, like cases over murder etc and paid him $1,500 to see it through.

I have a friend that works in the judges office, come to find out, some politician had an agenda to stop street racing (i was not racing, i was on an open 8 lane interstate stretch, at 3am with not a car in view ahead or behind) the judge had ear-market my case to be used as an example and did in fact plan to give me the max penalty, 30 days in jail! i had nothing else on my record besides an accident where i was hit from behind a few years before and a ticket for speeding in my neighborhood for doing 37mph in a 35mph zone so my lawyer worked it out with the DA and the judge in chambers before court, all said and done I paid $360 for the ticket, about $250 in various court fees, $1500 to my lawyer, 6 months with hardship license (work and home only) and was issued 60 hours of community service cutting grass on the road i was on.

o, the judge did give me 1 more final kick in the butt, he said i had 14 days to complete the community service, so no work for me for 2 weeks!

lesson is, before you just go to court be fully aware of what your facing, a chain of good luck events, like when the public defender pulled me aside and when the stand-up LEO said the reported speed limit was wrong, etc kept me out of jail.

it makes me happy and proud to be an American when situations end like the OP's did, but it does not always go that way guys. i know i did wrong, but 30 days in jail for speeding on an empty road?

don't speed in the first place guys, but again I stress, before you go to court over something like this don't assume its just a normal, pay the fine ticket.

hopefully my screw up will help some other guys, thanks for taking the time to read all the way through and again to the OP, so glad your turned out so great, wish i had your judge !
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #39

honestly I hope someone catches that assclown judge speeding and throws the book at him, what a douche.

secondly you should move the hell out of that backwater cesspool of a town with those laws

thirdly I apologize for those previous remarks but lets get real here..

a ticket for 2mph over the limit???? W T F

also a judge cannot tell you to not go to your normal job in order to complete community service, unless that was your choice. it works out to about 4 hours a day or you could squeeze a lot of it on the weekends

I've never willingly gone over 80 on an Interstate (usually stay within 10 over) and I've gotten passed by LEO so eh. and ya thanks to the LEO for at least owning up to the speed.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #40
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
being 1st ticket go to court(ya it will coast you a day of work) but you should be able to take a DD class(probably about 8hrs long, in TN they are usually on saturdays) and canít get a ticket of any kind for 6 months and it wonít go on your record and insurance wont know about it so your rates wont go back up. in the long run itís probably worth the day off work for court and a DD class to keep your insurance rates from going up for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife View Post
20 over they may not let you take the course. In TN 20 over is wreck less endangerment. Being first offense you may catch a break.

Just curious though. How did you act when the LEO stopped you? Sounds like either they cut you a break and you were going faster than 60. Or you may have shown your butt. Most officers (unless just jerks) will see you've never been pulled over and lower it down on the spot so you don't get in that much trouble and hopefully teach you a lesson that's of course if you don't give them attitude and show respect.
even doing 20+ over you can take a driving class and get it off your record in TN. i have a few friends that have done way more than 20 over and went to court and just had to take the 8hr class and do 15hrs of community service and no tickets of any kind for 6 months.