Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Speeding ticket

Old 01-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Lordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
Speeding ticket

I got a speeding ticket in Houston County GA this weekend. I was wanting some advice to avoid the points on my license. I really was not in any hurry just didn't realize the speed limit had been changed. This was on Moody Rd near Tidwell Dr (see map below). The speed limit was 50 mph before the road was expanded to 4 lanes with a turning lane. I was going 60 in a 40. I have a clean driving record and want to keep it that way and I just turned 25 and do not want to counter the discount in insurance.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a Leo but is your question on how to fight it?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
SteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud ofSteveO86 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Ground Radar Systems Craftsman
Name: Steve
SteveO86's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not LEO either, but I don't know how you would fight that one. If you say, "the speed limit was 50, I didn't know it changed to 40" the judge is going to ask why you would be doing 60 in a 50 anyway. I grew up and learned to drive in/around Atlanta, so I know if you're not doing 20 over you're getting run over, but Georgia LE still has to do their jobs and the judges usually back them. I hope someone can give you some pointers to get the speed reduced by the judge though. That can happen.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about GA but in TX we can defer or take DD to keep it off the record, just pay the court fees.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Go to court and fight it. I have had luck with putting on my big boy pants and owning the fact that I was speeding to the magistrate. Let them know this is the first time you have been ticketed and it will be the last...At worst, they will probably lower the ticket to the minimum fine, and at best you may catch them on a good day and it will be dropped completely.

State the speed limit dropped and you may have missed the sign. I saw the guy before me go into the hearing room and try to say he wasn't speeding and that he has never done such a thing, blah blah blah. Those are always the folks that are told to hit the road. Maybe the officer won't even show up and you get a free dismiss.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
First offense, take a drivers education/safety class, I am pretty sure every state has one, when you get to court, more than likely that will be an option or ask for it, once you complete that, your ticket is forgiven...there are court fees you got to pay and there will be a hefty charge for the class....

The good, it is not reported to insurance so your insurance will not be affected...
Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
gliderpilot is on a distinguished road
Name: Tex (Mike)
gliderpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you were totally lacking in situational awareness. Were you on the phone or busy talking to a passenger? Wake up, smell the coffee, pay the fine, and call it a lesson learned.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Lordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shedLordaca is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
Wow fast responses. Yea I just did not want to have to take the day off from work and go down to court. I wish the officer would have given me a break. He did state he would have given me a break if he was not training another officer. I did talk to a lawyer and they want $450 to avoid having to go down there and take the day off but most likely I would pay the full fine so that makes it $650 total. The lawyer also stated that Houston county is the worst county to get a ticket and preferred any other in the area over that one.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
maykevin5's Tacoma Gallery
Court supervision. Will cost you more and last a year or 6 months but won't go on record.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderpilot View Post
Sounds like you were totally lacking in situational awareness. Were you on the phone or busy talking to a passenger? Wake up, smell the coffee, pay the fine, and call it a lesson learned.
No not really I was with my fiance and was driving down there as usual. Its a new road and the speed limit was 50 when it was just a 2 lane road. Like in a previous post driving in Atlanta, GA if you are not doing at least 10 over you are being run over.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
20 over they may not let you take the course. In TN 20 over is wreck less endangerment. Being first offense you may catch a break.

Just curious though. How did you act when the LEO stopped you? Sounds like either they cut you a break and you were going faster than 60. Or you may have shown your butt. Most officers (unless just jerks) will see you've never been pulled over and lower it down on the spot so you don't get in that much trouble and hopefully teach you a lesson that's of course if you don't give them attitude and show respect.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maykevin5 View Post
Court supervision. Will cost you more and last a year or 6 months but won't go on record.
I don't think this is an option in Georgia ( A quick Google of the term and Georgia I did not find anything). This is a really cool thing so you can at least avoid the points. Also nothing on your record.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Either way, lawyered up or you go in yourself and get the Drivers Ed/safety class, it will cost you probably about the same...I wasn't paying attention to the 20 over, that will be a problem, in many states that could have lead to an arrest on the spot...you want to avoid this getting reported to insurance at all costs...why? because they will extract so much extra for several years it will probably cost you well over a $1000, including fines, court costs, and the extra insurance, a big drain on your finances...
Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife View Post
20 over they may not let you take the course. In TN 20 over is wreck less endangerment. Being first offense you may catch a break.

Just curious though. How did you act when the LEO stopped you? Sounds like either they cut you a break and you were going faster than 60. Or you may have shown your butt. Most officers (unless just jerks) will see you've never been pulled over and lower it down on the spot so you don't get in that much trouble and hopefully teach you a lesson that's of course if you don't give them attitude and show respect.
I was not going faster than 60 I had just looked at the speedometer before going around the turn. I did slow down and get over because they were in the turn lane and it was dark. All I could see was someone outside the car. This is just a courtesy of mine. I probably would have stopped if their flasher had been on. The officer came up and asked for my license and ask if I was in a hurry. I said no and he said I was going 60 in a 40. I apologized and proceeded to state it used to be 50. He saw my rifle case in the back seat of the truck and asked if I had a fire arm in the vehicle. I told him yes and he asked if it was on me. My exact words were I do not own a pistol I only own a rifle and it is in the case. Then we talked about deer hunting and joked around. He then proceeded to tell me that unfortunately I have to give you a ticket since I am training a new officer.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
First offense, take a drivers education/safety class, I am pretty sure every state has one, when you get to court, more than likely that will be an option or ask for it, once you complete that, your ticket is forgiven...there are court fees you got to pay and there will be a hefty charge for the class....

The good, it is not reported to insurance so your insurance will not be affected...
This.

Go to court. Plead guilty. Pay fine. Take course. Dont get another one. No report to insurance.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #16
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
in Pa you can send it in not guilty, and show up to a hearing. judge will ask the cop if he cut you a break, if not they will reduce it to failure to obey traffic device or something non moving violation.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #17
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
The best thing I can do is just take a DD class and go to court pay the fine move on. Basically I was trying to avoid going to court and going to court. I mean I have no problem pleading guilty just don't want the points. Most people have said they will probably reduce the ticket when I go to court.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #18
Lordaca's Tacoma Gallery
The lawyer got me worried that if I go to court they are probably going to through the book at me and didn't want that.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #19
OldPhart

LOL, typical lawyer talk, he WANTS your cash, save it for the class and fines....
Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #20
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah you don't need a lawyer for this.