Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Cop shoots off duty firefighter

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 02:00 AM   #41
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mipawlus View Post
depending on your situation. in my experience in combat, yes. once the serious threat comes about, yes. getting your ass whooped on a city sidewalk IN MY OPINION... hardly grounds. but that's just me.
Under California Code:
"Serious bodily injury" means a serious impairment of physical
condition, including, but not limited to, the following: loss of
consciousness; concussion; bone fracture; protracted loss or
impairment of function of any bodily member or organ; a wound
requiring extensive suturing; and serious disfigurement.

Quote:
and yes, when you hold someone's head down and waylay them (ground and pound), it causes a shitload of damage, particularly to the ocular bones and nose. anyone that follows MMA/UFC will attest to that.
I think that just about perfectly fits into CA's definition of serious bodily injury, authorizing the use of deadly force.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #42
Broja OG and CEO
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mike
Location: Behind the windshield, watching the world pass on the right.
mipawlus's Tacoma Gallery
i like this back and forth, it shows that people actually can back up their thoughts. I like learning the different policies (i'm sure the USCG is different from the houston pd is different than the small town, usa - all according to the threat levels) and thoughts based on location and occupation/history.

i will start by saying, as i did in my previous post, that regardless of the situation, this is incredibly sad.

i accept that a police officer's job in inherently dangerous and that anyone going into it has to be very careful and vigilant - a decade in the USMC in various combat zones and other less publicized fronts. family in LEO and i hear the stories and see the reports. got it. dangerous life. inherent to the occupation. just like a firefighter. different job, same stress levels.

i accept that i, nor anyone in here, was at the scene and cannot say what happened should have happened or not.

i accept that every agency policy regarding escalation of force is different.

i accept that everyone has their own opinion.

i'm just saying that MY PERSONAL BELIEFS AND EXPERIENCES, based on the videos in the OP, say "shit, let's try something other than a gun because this dude has fists of lead". as an LEO, I (personally) assume and expect you to be in as good of shape and relatively competent at martial arts for just such an occasion. i (personally) have high standards for LEO officials because i do associate/hang out with/am related to quite a few.

mr. brown's 5 foot rule is first heard for me and i am currently researching it, as i research the number of LEOs killed by their own weapons (in 2011, according to the fbi, it was 3 http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...niously-killed) and am forgoing any sites that could be misconstrued as biased.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 AM   #43
Broja OG and CEO
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareds Toyota View Post
LEOs are killed often in gun grab incidents.. Don't think its about technique or finesse. I can't tell if you are playing devils advocate or if you actually believe what you are saying
i am playing devils advocate because i enjoy sparking conversation (note: not trolling). sometimes i have a narrow perspective on something and if other people can help broaden my horizons, i am open to learning. i just don't like to see people demonized without cause. as i used to tell my analysts - prove that they are who you say they are. guy celebrating his wedding and got a little handsy on a cabbie or drunk ff out looking for a fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
Under California Code:

I think that just about perfectly fits into CA's definition of serious bodily injury, authorizing the use of deadly force.
now that you put a definition to it, i am a little bit more inclined to see the justification. the most PC state and they line it out for even a dumbass like me. although i didn't see him ground an pound and am going off of what jared said about the reconstructive surgery.

that being said, there are a lot of variables that aren't shown as clearly as the video. was the ff provoked? was he out looking for a fight? in which case, barring any ground breaking footage/evidence, i stand by my original statement of none of us were there, none of us know the true, full, and unedited story, and this is just bad juju all around.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:35 AM   #44
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my thoughts. You would like to hear from a cop, you would like to know what this officer could have done differently, you would like to know why he didn't tazer this man or pepper spray or baton a seriously drunk man who just fought with a cab driver, you would like to know why this officer did what he did? Become a cop, get into this situation then feel free answer all the questions asked. Sorry I can't be more help.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 AM   #45
Broja OG and CEO

Marines:
like i said, i'm not leo. i only have my experiences overseas (and we were never one on one). i appreciate your input and can see where that mindset would come into play. now let me ask you this. is there any way that you would have broken contact, gotten distance, and drawn down on the ff before resorting to shooting?

as for mr browns policy that there is no policy:
https://go.mpdconline.com/GO/901_04re.pdf

an example of said policy citing 3 feet is the minimum distance (pg 4). good to know.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 AM   #46
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
I always try to gain distance. I have a dog, I can afford to do this.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #47
Broja OG and CEO

Marines:
very well. i've seen the k9 units in action, both here and in iraq/afg. talk about some mothertruckers who are scared of dogs.... and thank you, Domc, badphish, and mr brown for your service. my broke marine ass appreciates it! this here is and example of the primary reason i am not going to the police academy.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 AM   #48

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
very well. i've seen the k9 units in action, both here and in iraq/afg. talk about some mothertruckers who are scared of dogs.... and thank you, Domc, badphish, and mr brown for your service. my broke marine ass appreciates it! this here is and example of the primary reason i am not going to the police academy.
thank you for your service. It's a shame about not going too the police academy. We could always use great people. it truely is a great job. However, there is public scrutiny it's all just part of the job. I just do the best that i can and give 110% everyday.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:14 AM   #49
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Probably has been said. But a cop is always a cop. Off duty or not. A lot around here work security for places, and would respond to things like described.

Shooting seemed justified to me. Don't punch in a cops face, and you won't get shot. Regardless if he should if been able to subdue him. Guy is a firefighter, you have to assume he is in some sort of decent shape. Maybe he was a trained fighter. Who knows. Cops are people too, who have families. They just want to go home after work like the rest of us.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 AM   #50
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
Under California Code:

Although this happened in Kansas? Also Ca. has an " Equal Force" law that would come to play in this scenario, however fearing for ones life typically trumps it.

Tragic either way, Firefighter did not seem to be fighting back until the ODPO started wrestling with him.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:47 AM   #51
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
Tragic either way, Firefighter did not seem to be fighting back until the ODPO started wrestling with him.
I disagree with this. Looks like the officer was trying to get his arm back to cuff him, the guy pulled his arm away, then then the officer tried to use more force to subdue him by kneeling on his head. That's when the wrestling started.

It is sad. Either way. Life lost and a life forever changed.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #52
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Here's my thoughts. You would like to hear from a cop, you would like to know what this officer could have done differently, you would like to know why he didn't tazer this man or pepper spray or baton a seriously drunk man who just fought with a cab driver, you would like to know why this officer did what he did? Become a cop, get into this situation then feel free answer all the questions asked. Sorry I can't be more help.
Spot on answer.

We had a local columnist who is very critical of LEO come to one of our defensive tactics classes. He stated that the 21 foot rule was b.s. We gave him a holster and a training gun and had him try it out. Even with him knowing what was going to happen he was unable to fend off the attacker- numerous times.
Just that one class changed his view point on how dangerous our job can be.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #53
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
The only mistake, in my opinion, this police officer made was taking a security gig where you may have to defend yourself and others against inebriated people. If you lack the skill to physically defend yourself and others, don't take the job. The drunk firefighter could have been any one of us. I know, for myself, I've done some stupid things when I've been drunk. Things I would absolutely never do if sober. This is one of the reasons I don't drink.
I understand the fact that there's always someone bigger/badder/stronger than me...that's when I would call in the reinforcements.
Just a horrible situation for everyone involved...I hope the firefighters family can find some closure from this situation and the police officer can get over what he has endured.
I really do respect police and firefighters for risking their lives on a daily basis.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #54
gopens48 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
gopens48's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
The only mistake, in my opinion, this police officer made was taking a security gig where you may have to defend yourself and others against inebriated people. If you lack the skill to physically defend yourself and others, don't take the job. The drunk firefighter could have been any one of us. I know, for myself, I've done some stupid things when I've been drunk. Things I would absolutely never do if sober. This is one of the reasons I don't drink.
I understand the fact that there's always someone bigger/badder/stronger than me...that's when I would call in the reinforcements.
Just a horrible situation for everyone involved...I hope the firefighters family can find some closure from this situation and the police officer can get over what he has endured.
I really do respect police and firefighters for risking their lives on a daily basis.
So basically what your saying is that as a police officer, I should be able to take on anyone? You say you understand the bigger/badder/stronger thing, but I don't know if someone is a better ground fighter than me until we get to the ground. I can't tell just by looking at someone, if they were an all-state wrestler in high school, or if they are a martial arts expert. I don't know any of that until the fight starts.

Then you say that he should have just "called in the reinforcements". Even on duty, that's easier said than done. In the middle of a fight for your life, you'd be amazed how difficult it is to key up your radio or push your emergency button. It's even more difficult for the guy in the video, considering he was off duty and I'm not positive he even had a radio on him. How can he call for reinforcements? Tell the drunk guy that wants to fight to hang on for a minute while he calls his buddies?

Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #55
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens48 View Post
So basically what your saying is that as a police officer, I should be able to take on anyone? You say you understand the bigger/badder/stronger thing, but I don't know if someone is a better ground fighter than me until we get to the ground. I can't tell just by looking at someone, if they were an all-state wrestler in high school, or if they are a martial arts expert. I don't know any of that until the fight starts.

Then you say that he should have just "called in the reinforcements". Even on duty, that's easier said than done. In the middle of a fight for your life, you'd be amazed how difficult it is to key up your radio or push your emergency button. It's even more difficult for the guy in the video, considering he was off duty and I'm not positive he even had a radio on him. How can he call for reinforcements? Tell the drunk guy that wants to fight to hang on for a minute while he calls his buddies?
Nope...but since you ask, i would think since you're going to be arresting a guy for assault, you'd call in the reinforcements before even attempting to apprehend/arrest the guy...especially when you're off duty. im not LEO so im just commenting out of what would be common sense to me...not sure what protocol is.
i will comment, however, from an experience when i was falsely detained. completely cooperating with the officer until the situation got sorted out...but the guy decides its a good idea to damn near twist my shoulder out of socket when trying to handcuff me. my natural reaction was to pull my arm before it snapped. if he attempted to curb stomp my head into the ground like the officer in the video did (which it seems to me where things got out of hand) AND i was inebriated, i could see me attempting to defend myself.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #56
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Quote:
like i said, i'm not leo. i only have my experiences overseas (and we were never one on one). i appreciate your input and can see where that mindset would come into play. now let me ask you this. is there any way that you would have broken contact, gotten distance, and drawn down on the ff before resorting to shooting?

as for mr browns policy that there is no policy:
https://go.mpdconline.com/GO/901_04re.pdf

an example of said policy citing 3 feet is the minimum distance (pg 4). good to know.
Really? I'll let my department know. Just because you can't find it doesn't mean it isn't there, The guy was from Kansas not DC Metro, and you may want to look into the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for the OC. As far as I know everybody that works in a public service capacity are supposed to follow MSDS instructions.

Here is a well known story along the lines of this conversation:
http://www.examiner.com/article/uc-d...r-pepper-spray

I believe the off-duty officer was working as a security guard. You'd have better luck looking into the security company's policy for what they even carry. I couldn't see very much on his belt.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #57

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
Nope...but since you ask, i would think since you're going to be arresting a guy for assault, you'd call in the reinforcements before even attempting to apprehend/arrest the guy...especially when you're off duty. im not LEO so im just commenting out of what would be common sense to me...not sure what protocol is.
i will comment, however, from an experience when i was falsely detained. completely cooperating with the officer until the situation got sorted out...but the guy decides its a good idea to damn near twist my shoulder out of socket when trying to handcuff me. my natural reaction was to pull my arm before it snapped. if he attempted to curb stomp my head into the ground like the officer in the video did (which it seems to me where things got out of hand) AND i was inebriated, i could see me attempting to defend myself.
Hmmmm ok...Lets take this one step at a time. Sometimes In Law Enforcement there is no time to call for "back up" when responding to a crime in progress. Sometimes your there, you need to handle business before someone gets hurt then, you call your HQ requesting a back. Hopefully there is one available. Our county S.O. cant wait up to 30 minutes after requesting a back. So, none of us are really sure about radio transmissions here. And honestly dude Drunk people are so hard to deal with. I mean really hard. Usually the first thing a drunk person screams at me is "I have done nothing wrong." They always scream at the top of their lungs. I have said it before and I will say it again. There are two kinds of people I hate in this world, drunk people when I am sober and sober people when I am drunk..

Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #58

People keep bring up he was off duty and was working as security. That may be, but he's still a police officer. Around they call it working a "detail" they are still police officers with full arresting powers and all that goes along with it.

Places pay the officers as a deterrent more than anything, as that tends to steer the stupid away seeing a cop sitting at the door. But if something comes up, they are the police, and they react as such.

IMO any uniformed officer working anywhere should have a radio. Here, some do, some don't. Unfortunately the cost factor comes into play.

Also those same people recording the.video talking about his "menacing" stance, would be the same people asking where are the police as he beats the shit of the taxi driver over a couple dollars. The police showed up, albeit alone with no radio. But showed up nonetheless.

Another thing that always gets me is the I was drunk argument. I have been passed out knock down drunk, and have had run in's with police. NEVER once would I have swung on a cop. I've done some really stupid things in my younger years, but I find the I was drunk defense stupid. If you're an asshole, you're an asshole drunk or sober. Just my $0.02

Old 02-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #59

All good points Deevon. I watched in the video, but couldn't tell if he was wearing a security uniform or his police uniform.

It is funny that these conversations always revolve around what the cop could have done wrong. No one ever seems to notice, or care, that if the subject complied he would not have gotten shot. At least the officer was cleared quickly this time.

I feel bad for the family of the fire fighter. I can't imagine how hard that must be knowing that the death of someone you loved was brought on by something so dumb as getting too drunk.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #60
Penis Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Hmmmm ok...Lets take this one step at a time. Sometimes In Law Enforcement there is no time to call for "back up" when responding to a crime in progress. Sometimes your there, you need to handle business before someone gets hurt then, you call your HQ requesting a back. Hopefully there is one available. Our county S.O. cant wait up to 30 minutes after requesting a back. So, none of us are really sure about radio transmissions here. And honestly dude Drunk people are so hard to deal with. I mean really hard. Usually the first thing a drunk person screams at me is "I have done nothing wrong." They always scream at the top of their lungs. I have said it before and I will say it again. There are two kinds of people I hate in this world, drunk people when I am sober and sober people when I am drunk..
Agree, mostly. However, the firefighter ran away...officer chased. Seems like there would be ample time to call it in. And I hear you regarding drunk people...reason why I don't like to drink or be around belligerent drunks. I've had to come to the aid of drunk friends that were being douchbags...can't stand that shit.

Closed Thread