Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Opinions On Buying Used Police Cars

Old 05-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
NorCarolina Member
TacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the roughTacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the roughTacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the roughTacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the rough

Name: A.J.
TacoTacoma96's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions On Buying Used Police Cars

The other day I was at a used car lot and saw a '05 Crown Vic Police Intercepter for a decent price. I personally like the look of the '98 and newer Vic. I know from the factory they've got a heavy-duty suspension and cooling system on them but the motors are basically untouched. There's also come in 2 different gear ratios for highway and city driving. You also gotta factor in how long the car idled and what it was used for. I've done a little research. I would like to hear the pros and cons on buying used police cars (Chargers,CVPI's,etc) from Police Officers and others before considering getting one used. Any and all feedback appreciated.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
05 crown vic was a good reliable vehicle with a solid performing drivetrain and heavy duty brake package . One of the last cars using rear wheel drive . Services were , for the most part always done on time using the taxpayers dime ofcourse so you can expect a well maintained car .Cant speak for the Chargers but I imagine they are all treated the same way
Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
NorCarolina Member
TacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the roughTacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the roughTacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the roughTacoTacoma96 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
05 crown vic was a good reliable vehicle with a solid performing drivetrain and heavy duty brake package . One of the last cars using rear wheel drive . Services were , for the most part always done on time using the taxpayers dime ofcourse so you can expect a well maintained car .Cant speak for the Chargers but I imagine they are all treated the same way
I've also heard they take them out of service when they hit 75,000 miles or somewhere through there. The rear wheel drive is my favorite part
Old 05-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
Our vics were always maintained. Ive only ever had one transmission die and had one overheat. We beat the shit out of those cars, they take a beating and keep going. They are slowly getting phased out, our vics are all now well over 100k miles and just wont die. There is a place near Washington DC that sells old reconditioned vics for $1500 , 30 day warranty and a fresh coat of paint, i know of several people who use them as daily beater cars with just afew minor issues.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
My 2 cents is: it's a gamble. Yes they are serviced well, but some cars have a hard life. My 2013 Impala has only 15k on it and the "new" is gone. It needs brakes and I'm on my second set of tires.. I have been "snatched" out of the mud twice. Slowing down for speed bumps doesn't always happen. Granted the Crown Vic is a better car 10x over, it's still a crap shoot. But if you do find one in good shape, snatch it up, they are great cars.
Good luck.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
jsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jsi's Tacoma Gallery
Ya get what you pay for, there's a reason for the price. My work just got rid of a bunch of old ford Tauruses. People were paying top dollar for them, but OMG what a pile of crap! No, I wouldn't touch any used car that was driven by dozens of people that didn't own it. Ever hear "drive it like it's a rental?"
Old 05-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #7
NorCarolina Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsi View Post
Ya get what you pay for, there's a reason for the price. My work just got rid of a bunch of old ford Tauruses. People were paying top dollar for them, but OMG what a pile of crap! No, I wouldn't touch any used car that was driven by dozens of people that didn't own it. Ever hear "drive it like it's a rental?"
This is what's got me on the fence. I've heard the best kind to get is either a Private Investigator or a Captain's car. Those are far and few between though.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:16 AM   #8
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Me personally I would never buy a used police car. We keep our cars for 5 years or more just depending on how they look and if gets too expensive to keep fixing the thing. Dude WE BEAT THE CRAP OUTTA OUR CARS. The faster we beat the crap outta them the faster we get a new one. We do keep up with the maintenance and crown vics do last forever but dam dude we beat them up. Plus some cops are slobs dude and some of our pool cars are full of roaches and shit. Dude I would never buy one. But do what you think is best for you.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on never buying one

Too much of a crap shoot. ..my last vic got a new transmission at 45k

It had been jumped several times...slammed into curbs and speed bumps and god knows what else...I know how we drive them...no way I'd pay for one after that
Old 05-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #10
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Me personally I would never buy a used police car. We keep our cars for 5 years or more just depending on how they look and if gets too expensive to keep fixing the thing. Dude WE BEAT THE CRAP OUTTA OUR CARS. The faster we beat the crap outta them the faster we get a new one. We do keep up with the maintenance and crown vics do last forever but dam dude we beat them up. Plus some cops are slobs dude and some of our pool cars are full of roaches and shit. Dude I would never buy one. But do what you think is best for you.

appreciate your honesty
Old 05-07-2014, 02:50 AM   #11
NorCarolina Member

I appreciate all the input everybody. I'm gonna stay away from the used cop car market. For me it's not worth the risk.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I would buy a used P71 if I knew what agency it came from. I wouldn't touch a thing being sold by my department, especially since management has switched from replacing at a certain mileage to replacing once repairs exceed the value of the vehicle.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
NorCarolina Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
I would buy a used P71 if I knew what agency it came from. I wouldn't touch a thing being sold by my department, especially since management has switched from replacing at a certain mileage to replacing once repairs exceed the value of the vehicle.
What does your department consider the value at?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #14
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KBB. For instance, when my Colorado was finally written off, it needed $7,200 worth of work, which was right about where KBB put its value. So, that is now going to auction...needing $7,200 worth of work.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #15
Taco turned Burrito
DelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Supervisor
DelRioTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Buying one at auction is just rolling the dice. You have no idea how it was treated. Was it shared by 8 officers in a cash-strapped department, all of whom couldn't care less about how it was treated?

Was it driven for its full service life by an officer in a specialized unit who took it home every night and treated like a personal vehicle? Its just too much of a gamble to risk it IMO. If my department allowed me to bid on my own vehicle when it came up for replacement, I'd be all over it! I treat it like my own truck, but then again, I'm a supervisor with a specialized (marine patrol) division who has the luxury of a take home ride.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Were you considering buying one at auction or buying one from a dealer? At auction you can probably get it cheap enough and do the work yourself to save $, if any work is needed. I've bought cop cars before and they go CHEAP at auction, like $1500 for a 2005 with under 100k cheap. But the reason they go so cheap... Because they are beat to crap. But sometimes you find a good one that wasn't too far gone.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #17
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Knowing what cops do to those cars, not to mention what I've done myself, there's no way I'd buy a used cop car. My 2013 Ford Explorer Interceptor (which I hate) already has 13k miles. I have a feeling we won't get more than two years out of it, at the most. I want my crown vic back.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #18
NorCarolina Member

Here's a pic of the car I was considering:

$4,000 with 165,xxx miles. This is from a dealer, not an auction. A plus is that it never had a lightbar installed up top and the interior is clean with the exception of where they cut the rubber matting to take the electronics out.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #19
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
They're fun to abuse, and I've always wanted to purchase one, just for the orgasmic sound it makes when u get on it....then again, unless it's a Captains car, or another high ranking person in authority, I'm not sure I would want it as I'm positive it's been beat to death and then some....but that sound
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
Weapon Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTacoma96 View Post
Here's a pic of the car I was considering:

$4,000 with 165,xxx miles. This is from a dealer, not an auction. A plus is that it never had a lightbar installed up top and the interior is clean with the exception of where they cut the rubber matting to take the electronics out.
I'd pick that up in a heartbeat, maybe talk them down to $3,500.