Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Law Enforcement Officers (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/law-enforcement-officers/)
-   -   Concealed Handgun for service members (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/law-enforcement-officers/204526-concealed-handgun-service-members.html)

Airborne09 02-15-2012 06:08 AM

Concealed Handgun for service members

So I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if Active Duty service members are allowed to have concealed handgun permits?

I know, that where I'm stationed (Alaska) we are not allowed to conceal carry, due to a bunch of idiots doing stupid shit their not supposed to. But what about in your state of residence?

Airborne09 02-15-2012 06:09 AM

So I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if Active Duty service members are allowed to have concealed handgun permits?

I know, that where I'm stationed (Alaska) we are not allowed to conceal carry, due to a bunch of idiots doing stupid shit their not supposed to. But what about in your state of residence?

Airborne09 02-15-2012 06:12 AM

Oregon concealed handgun question

I am in the military and I am going to be going on leave here soon back home (Oregon.)
While I am there I want to get my concealed handgun permit. Now I have heard that certain states will wave the handgun safety class for active duty military. I was wondering if Oregon is one of these states.
If anyone knows, please let me know. Thank you.

Airborne09 02-15-2012 06:16 AM

Now I am not a member of Law Enforcement, but I have a couple questions for ya'll.

First question, does anyone know if Active Duty military are able to obtain concealed handgun permits. I know where I am stationed (Alaska) service members are not allowed to conceal carry. But what about in the lower 48?

Second question. I have heard that in some states, they will wave the handgun safety class for Active Duty military. Does Oregon abide by this, or no?

If anyone can answer either of these questions, it would be greatly appriciated.
Thank you.

macgyver 02-15-2012 06:40 AM

Why did you make 3 threads on this?

battleyota 02-15-2012 06:45 AM

It depends on the state you are stationed. Also you have to check with your command, ask around your unit. I'm sure they got tons of info for ya.

Airborne09 02-15-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battleyota (Post 4563571)
It depends on the state you are stationed. Also you have to check with your command, ask around your unit. I'm sure they got tons of info for ya.

I aint trying to get one in the state I'm stationed cause Alaska doesn't have permits for concealed carry so I'm good on that. And I have asked around my unit but no one really seems to know a definately answer on it.
Just curious is all.

Airborne09 02-15-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macgyver (Post 4563556)
Why did you make 3 threads on this?

You never know who's checking out what sections and someone in another may know a different answer that someone else. :D

98tacoma27 02-15-2012 07:50 AM

No need to make mutliple threads on the same topic.

*waves magic merge wand*

Warhorseforever 02-15-2012 07:50 AM

As far as I know you can only get a permit for carry in the state/county where you are stationed because you are considered a resident of that state where you are based. Ask you superiors or your local law enforcement office.
FWIW I've found a link on Alaska CC. http://dps.alaska.gov/statewide/perm...g/achpfaq.aspx

jhodge83 02-15-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhorseforever (Post 4563972)
As far as I know you can only get a permit for carry in the state/county where you are stationed because you are considered a resident of that state where you are based. Ask you superiors or your local law enforcement office.
FWIW I've found a link on Alaska CC. http://dps.alaska.gov/statewide/perm...g/achpfaq.aspx

can always get non-resident CWPs for states that allow it. In the process of getting my AZ non-resident.

skytower 02-15-2012 12:02 PM

You can get a permit anywhere you like, if you follow that states carry rules. You must comply with base policy regardless of having a permit. Base policy varies widely. Some have a place to lock up your firearm, some do not.
Tread carefully, and talk to someone you trust. Some people, even military, do not react well when you ask them about bringing weapons on base.

jhodge83 02-15-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skytower (Post 4565733)
You can get a permit anywhere you like, if you follow that states carry rules. You must comply with base policy regardless of having a permit. Base policy varies widely. Some have a place to lock up your firearm, some do not.
Tread carefully, and talk to someone you trust. Some people, even military, do not react well when you ask them about bringing weapons on base.

I still need to go by the local security office here and ask face to face about the local policy. I have not seen any signs coming on base about firearms. I know you cant have them in a federal building, but i'd still like to carry to/from work. Wouldnt mind registering it on base like for hunting and leave it locked in the car while at work.

k9cop 02-15-2012 12:20 PM

I am not sure but a while ago they passed a law pertaining to a nationwide concealed carry for active duty military and Law Enforcement personnel. not sure about the base though. However, I know that Law Enforcement can carry concealed nationwide. I think...Might be something to look into. I have my concealed permit just in case I get relieved of duty. But, better to be safe than sorry. I am not sure if your MP department has legal advice but you may wanna shoot them a call. They will know for sure.

jhodge83 02-15-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9cop (Post 4565879)
I am not sure but a while ago they passed a law pertaining to a nationwide concealed carry for active duty military and Law Enforcement personnel. not sure about the base though. However, I know that Law Enforcement can carry concealed nationwide. I think...Might be something to look into. I have my concealed permit just in case I get relieved of duty. But, better to be safe than sorry. I am not sure if your MP department has legal advice but you may wanna shoot them a call. They will know for sure.

base JAG

k9cop 02-15-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhodge83 (Post 4566296)
base JAG

If you find anything out please post. Curious myself when coming into contact w/ active duty military.

jhodge83 02-15-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9cop (Post 4566916)
If you find anything out please post. Curious myself when coming into contact w/ active duty military.

called the LE desk tonight. no to carring on base except to/from hunting...even if just in the vehicle and not on the person. SC state law says anyone can have a loaded weapon in the vehicle as long as it is in a closed/locked compartment. the federal law trumps in this case. they said there is one gate on base (conveniently across the other side from where i come in) that you can declare a weapon and they will store it for your duration on post.

and back to the OP, active duty members in SC can get a resident CWP. they just have to submit a copy of their PCS orders with the application (from what i took away from the class last September...same goes for purchasing a firearm here).

k9cop 02-15-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhodge83 (Post 4567383)
called the LE desk tonight. no to carring on base except to/from hunting...even if just in the vehicle and not on the person. SC state law says anyone can have a loaded weapon in the vehicle as long as it is in a closed/locked compartment. the federal law trumps in this case. they said there is one gate on base (conveniently across the other side from where i come in) that you can declare a weapon and they will store it for your duration on post.

and back to the OP, active duty members in SC can get a resident CWP. they just have to submit a copy of their PCS orders with the application (from what i took away from the class last September...same goes for purchasing a firearm here).

Somewhat similar to Florida. Florida is very liberal w/ gun laws. Just wondering if anyone had clarification on the federal law.

Airborne09 02-16-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9cop (Post 4565879)

Do you have any information on this nationwide concealed carry? I'm deployed right now, so I don't have the best of resources to research stuff.

k9cop 02-16-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airborne09 (Post 4570327)
Do you have any information on this nationwide concealed carry? I'm deployed right now, so I don't have the best of resources to research stuff.

OK, might be easier for me to give our legal advisors a call today. Probably should have done that in the first place..lol:D