Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Law Enforcement Officers (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/law-enforcement-officers/)
-   -   Need the opinion from TW and their police officers! (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/law-enforcement-officers/243196-need-opinion-tw-their-police-officers.html)

THXEY 10-09-2012 02:29 PM

Need the opinion from TW and their police officers!

Okay, so, in march i got my first speeding ticket ever after 6 years of driving, going like 26mph over or something. i was late for work so naturally i was driving a little faster than normal. it ended up being like $480, so i paid it and did the traffic school so its off my record.

In July i got my second speeding ticket going 13mph over in a 50mph zone. Again I was on my way to work. (i wasnt late though, its a huge downhill and i had my truck in neutral).

So my question is, i have a court date tomorrow, and i have to be there at 730am and the ticket is $260. So obviously im not eligible in the state of California to do traffic school again. My question is, what is the likelyhood of the judge letting me do traffic school again, and what is the likelyhood of the judge reducing the fine for me?

Essentially im trying to figure out if i should go down to the courthouse now and pay my ticket and not have to go tomorrow, (and save me from waking up at 6am) and not be able to do traffic school and not have my fine reduced. And basically just get it over with. So i can be lazy and sleep in.

OR

Should i go tomorrow and wait however many hours it takes to be seen, and try to get traffic school and a reduced fine. I just dont want to waste my time if it's not going to happen.

I have been driving for 6 years and never been pulled over and the two times i have been pulled over it was within months of eachother and i got tickets for both of them.

And ill ask you now to refrain from the "maybe you should slow down" comments and the "maybe set your alarm a little earlier so you wont be late for work" comments. Just asking for your opinion.

Specalt 10-09-2012 02:36 PM

Not a cop or a lawyer,

But I would say since this is your second one in a few months the judge will not let you take traffic school again.

But you can go to court, explain your laps a judgment and ask for leniency. Also explain how this ticket will be a financial burden for you and ask for a reduced fine.
Only the judge can "make it happen"

The question is the time you will waste there worth more than the fine?

THXEY 10-09-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specalt (Post 5809768)
Not a cop or a lawyer,

But I would say since this is your second one in a few months the judge will not let you take traffic school again.

But you can go to court, explain your laps a judgment and ask for leniency. Also explain how this ticket will be a financial burden for you and ask for a reduced fine.
Only the judge can "make it happen"

The only question is the time you will waste there worth more than the fine?

Possibly because i have work tomorrow too and couldnt get it off.

EDIT: the fine isnt a big deal because i sold my iphone 4 and thats paying for it.

Flynn Diesel 10-09-2012 02:39 PM

Save the time and pay the ticket. 99.9% chance the judge will not let you go to school again.

Specalt 10-09-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THXEY (Post 5809777)
Possibly because i have work tomorrow too and couldnt get it off.

EDIT: the fine isnt a big deal because i sold my iphone 4 and thats paying for it.

I can tell you for 100% sure the judge wont buy that. for one you have had 3 months or so to get the day off, and I doubt he will care about your Iphone. There are people at the court that have much bigger problems than you do.

KenLyns 10-09-2012 02:42 PM

You got to be there at 7:30? Don't courts work on the ol' 9-to-5 schedule?

THXEY 10-09-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specalt (Post 5809807)
I can tell you for 100% sure the judge wont buy that. for one you have had 3 months or so to get the day off, and I doubt he will care about your Iphone. There are people at the court that have much bigger problems than you do.

:rolleyes: OBVIOUSLY i won't tell that to the judge. I cant get work off because i work in retail and we're entering holiday season so the date was "blacked out" and i couldnt ask it off.

And the iphone has nothing to do with this. thats just how i got my money lol

THXEY 10-09-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenLyns (Post 5809821)
You got to be there at 7:30? Don't courts work on the ol' 9-to-5 schedule?

no clue, but i will say, my sig is giving your sig a run for its money.

Specalt 10-09-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THXEY (Post 5809831)
:rolleyes: OBVIOUSLY i won't tell that to the judge. I cant get work off because i work in retail and we're entering holiday season so the date was "blacked out" and i couldnt ask it off.

And the iphone has nothing to do with this. thats just how i got my money lol

I'm just saying there is not much that will get you out of a court date. It needs to be on the scale of death in the family.

If CA is any thing like AZ, this court date is just your plea. The judge will ask you how you plea... If you plea guilty you pay the fine. If you plea innocent you get another court date to prove your innocence. Or you can plea No contest and ask for a reduced fine.

But for 13 over it should just be a mail in fine. We don't get sent to court here unless we are 20+ the posted. Were you in a school zone or a construction zone, or run over a Nun. Going to court for 13 over is harsh.

THXEY 10-09-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specalt (Post 5809872)
Were you in a school zone or a construction zone, or run over a Nun. Going to court for 13 over is harsh.

no, no, and no.

Kylsix 10-09-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THXEY (Post 5809834)
no clue, but i will say, my sig is giving your sig a run for its money.

That is 100% the only thing I cared about in this thread.

Pay the fine today, don't even waste your time at the court house, it's rarely worth it, especially so soon after getting another ticket.

THXEY 10-09-2012 03:02 PM

Just called in and paid over the phone. it was actually only $239