Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Help! This is the 7th headlight bulb Ive replaced

Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Help! This is the 7th headlight bulb Ive replaced

So Ive searched to see if anyone else is having to replace the light bulbs in their headlights often. From what I've seen...the answer in no. So besides thinking the obvious (a short somewhere), why would I be replacing this bulb every 5k miles. It started at 37k miles. Ever since, the left will go out then the right the then left and so on. The filament has never been broken. It looks like it was hot at a point that is crumbles up but doesnt break. Keep in mind that when one light bulb goes out, I usually replace both. But lately I havent. I will have to this time, because my spare bulb is one of the regular light bulbs versus the silver star ones I currently have. I wouldnt know where to start if it was a short somewhere. Someone here with many modifications Im sure has experienced something similar. I have no modifications to mine! Besides changing the color of the light bulb. Help!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
I bet when you put in the regular light bulb it won't blow after 5k miles.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I havent had a problem like that at all i have an 06 as well i changed my bulbs to the piaa intense white had them on for a while and from what it sounds like maybe electrical im not positive,
Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I bet when you put in the regular light bulb it won't blow after 5k miles.
------------------------------------------------------------------

In agreement................

EDIT: you answered your own question, and didn't even realize it.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
Any idea what voltage your alternator is putting out??

(mine is 13.8 to 14.5 and running PIAA Xtreme Whites, no problem)

EDIT: Are you real careful not to touch the bulbs when changing them??
Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely Positive Im not touching the glass. The one I changed tonight actually had a broken filament. I put on one of the originals...so right now by truck is winking at people with a Silver Star on one side (white) and the yellowish regular halogen on the other. This sucks. I'll look into the PIAA ones. Any place you would suggest with a great price? Im seriously looking to spend as little as possible. With most of my money going to gas ($900-between both of our cars), I need to be cheap. That includes the value meal at McDonalds.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Look on ebay, i got my fogs there, i got my piaa intense whites @ 4wheelparts in el cajon for $46
Old 06-11-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
Johnny_knox69 is on a distinguished road
Johnny_knox69's Tacoma Gallery
05 lights out

My Sulvana Ultras, one out at 13,000 miles. Not good to me:-) But I do run them all the time
Old 06-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
hondabuster is on a distinguished road
Air Force: F4 mechanic
hondabuster's Tacoma Gallery
A short wont cause this. If the short is downstream of the bulb(ground leg) youd never know it.
If it was on the power side, youd blow a fuse.
My thoughts were the same, about making sure theres no substance on the bulb...finger grease or whatever.
I just bought a 2 pack of bulbs at Wallys world, for about the same price as the auto stores charge for one bulb.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
I'll look into the PIAA ones. Any place you would suggest with a great price? Im seriously looking to spend as little as possible. With most of my money going to gas ($900-between both of our cars), I need to be cheap. That includes the value meal at McDonalds.
Uh oh. You ain't gonna like the price for PIAA's. They are awfully proud of them bulbs.

Oddly enough I got mine at a Yoda dealer. I was planning to order bulbs online but went by to pick up oil filters and saw a nice set of Xtreme Whites just sitting out on a display shelf. They were dusty and looked out of place. I asked the price and the clerk quoted about half what they retail for. SOLD! Installed them in the parking lot and no problems (13k miles so far).

I also have PIAA driving lights on my taco and 2 sets on my old chebby. Been very happy with the quality on all of them.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
What you can change the bulbs?
66000 miles on my 05 and not a single bulb change yet

I left all the stock bulbs in as well. I'm sure the blowing out problem is related to the bulbs and not something wrong with the truck.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #12
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Electronicsmaven.com has the PIAA Intense White for $35. Its the PIAA-10904 model. A twin Pack! What do you guys think? I really want to avoid the Sylvania Brand. In my opinion they suck! I'd get the GE brand they sell at Walmart, however they have nothing to make them brighter (bright white).
Old 06-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #13

And $48 for the Xtreme Whites. Decent prices if the shipping is reasonable.

I do not like SilverStars but didn't want to offend. Had lousy luck in years past.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #14
c hoov is on a distinguished road
Air Force: MSgt Ret
c hoov's Tacoma Gallery
07 w/95K miles. Have to replace head lamps at least once a year, sometimes more often than that. The corner marker lamps have been replaced 3 times as well. Any clues? My 01 Chev Tahoe still has the OEM's with 95K miles. Haven't checked, but maybe a voltage issue? Anyone else have an over voltage/early burn out issue?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
c hoov is on a distinguished road
Air Force: MSgt Ret
c hoov's Tacoma Gallery
Checked my "engine running" voltage and is about 13.8. Not sure how much is too much, anyone have an idea?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #16
Yooooo will become famous soon enough
Yooooo's Tacoma Gallery
Get HIDs
Old 06-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
The silver stars (or similarly "hotter" bulbs) naturally don't last as long. If you're positive you aren't touching them, try cleaning the contacts and using some dielectric grease. A corroded connection can cause them to burn out faster. Vibration can also be a killer.