LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hi Beam Problems

Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Geaux Tigers
BradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to beholdBradleyJ33 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Brad
BradleyJ33's Tacoma Gallery
Question Hi Beam Problems

Ok, I had a thread previously and now am expounding on the original question. So I had a kit from DDM Tuning, 35W slim ballast kit, in my headlights. Had a ballast problem, got it swapped out, no big deal. Then one night, my headlights stopped working altogether. Tracked the problem to the relay, they sent me a new one, low beams worked, but highs would not. So I said screw it, I'm gonna do a retro-fit. Got the FX-R stage 3 kit from TRS with the morimoto ballasts and bulbs, H4 wiring harness, and FX-R projectors. Got them installed without issue, until while testing, the driver side high beam stopped working. Swapped the whole assembly to the passenger side, worked great, but not on driver side. Checked all my connections and fuses and everything. No dice. Matt sent me a new relay for the wiring harness, which caused my drivers low-beam fuse to blow in my under-hood fuse box. Never would work. Original relay that came with the kit still working both side low beams, passenger high beam. When I plug the stock headlights back in, both highs and lows work fine.

My question is: Is there something in the wiring that could be causing these relays to go bad on my highs? I've grounded my driver side to the main ground where the battery is grounded, and I know the ground is good. The only fuse that should matter in the whole set-up is the driver side ones, b/c that's where the H4 harness is plugged in. All my fuses are good though. Anybody got any suggestions?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
I would suspect its the wiring harness on the drivers side that connects to the drivers side shield actuator.

Check:

1. Are the two wires that connect to the actuator for the HB shield connected? Polarity doesnt matter.

2. Do you have voltage at the actuator wires? hook up a multimeter or test light to those leads.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Multimeter should be in DC mode. Your battery provides direct current. (DC). The numbers on the DC section just move thr decimal point. Yu should have something like dc 20 which is what you want. This gives you two places on either side ofthe decimal.

In any case, you need to connect your multimeter leads to each of those wires and I believe with headlights on it registers 0v. Throw the highbeam switch to on, and you should see something around 12v +/- If you don't see voltage there that is your problem.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Dude just return the item and buy some Xenon. I can get you an 8k kit for $90 delivered, with a 12 month warranty.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTaco View Post
Dude just return the item and buy some Xenon. I can get you an 8k kit for $90 delivered, with a 12 month warranty.
^ Dude...do you even know what youre talking about?!! what are "Xenon"?! he already has HID, how is "Xenon" better?!! also, he has a projector retrofit, he just cannot throw in your cheap, crap, PNP bulbs that use a stupid bulb actuator for the highs!! and 8k will not give the best light...4.3k will! if your going to try to pimp your stuff, at least have some sort of clue what youre talking about!!

now to the OP...just to clear up...the exact same projector works perfectly (highs and lows) when plugged into the pass side, but the high will not work when installed on the driver side, correct?

find the voltage being supplied to the high beam solenoid on the projectors on each side to ensure youre getting enough to actuate them. im guessing that your not getting enough or even no voltage at all to the driver side.

or you could just scrap the whole retro and get some wicked Xenon lights from the guy above........
Old 07-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Retrofit Club!

Yosh, I told him to check that with a mm ealier and he said he got voltage. Was it you that mentioned you actuated them with A 9v in another thread?

If the high beams work when he switches then it has to be the wiring harness
Old 07-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yea, i test all my retros w/ a 9 volt before i install them. dont want to find out i have faulty solenoid once everything is locked down!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
If the high beams work when he switches then it has to be the wiring harness
as matt only sent him another relay, NOT a wiring harness...but it supposedly worked in the beginning?!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #10

^ that has to fix it...if the light works perfectly on the other side. some wire had to have gotten messed up somehow?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know much about hids, is your stock headlight wiring still there? Could you put your stock headlight bulbs back in for testing purposes? Maybe there is a short in your stock wiring?

Edit: Oops, you already answered that!