Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

PIAA 510 Burnt out...what the heck??

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
PIAA 510 Burnt out...what the heck??

Anyone else have this issue?

Passenger side went out last month now the driver side?

They've only been in my bumper for about 8 months, is this normal?

I know I have the H3 size, but I'm not sure about all the different variation on that bulb.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, mine burned out fairly quickly. Not sure if it was 8 months, but it wasn't long. Mine are also on all the time, so that doesn't help longevity. Also, both bulbs typically burn out within days of each other.

Any bulb that is "extreme white" or similar don't last as long as a standard halogen bulb. I still use them though because they match the color of my headlight bulbs.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It mostly depends on how much you use them and what type of bulb you use. My foglights are on whenever the headlights are on, sometimes more, and I probably change them at least once a year. I'm using those Sylvania white bulbs which cost a little more but don't last as long. However, the standard halogens will last longer and are only like $7.

Furthermore, my PIAAs are mounted in the stock hole. Since they're mounted on plastic, I suppose its possible that they receive more vibration than a stock light that's meant to fit in that hole would, or if it were fitted on a solid light bar/bull bar.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
I have them mounted in my All Pro bumper, so I don't know if that hurts my situation. I see replacement bulbs from PIAA on Amazon.com for like 5 or 6 bucks, but I don't know if their the right ones.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
I have them mounted in my All Pro bumper, so I don't know if that hurts my situation. I see replacement bulbs from PIAA on Amazon.com for like 5 or 6 bucks, but I don't know if their the right ones.
1. Your bumper probably provides more support and therefore reduces vibration, so that's probably not a cause.

2. If it's a reputable dealer, they're probably ok. I think the PIAA website indicates the best bulb...they do offer different kinds and colors. Don't buy them directly from PIAA because they are hugely expensive.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
We do offer a 1 year warranty on all of our bulbs. a lot of times on aftermarket bumpers, if you put a nylon washer in between the lamp mounting base and the bumper light tab it will take care of the surging issue that is blowing the lights. give PIAA a call at 1800-525-7422 and if it within a year they will take care of it.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.
eight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
eight3one_offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eight3one_offroad
I have 510s in my stock fog location as well, I'm kind of bummed now that they don't last a long time. I paid $200 for them... ugh will see when one burns out!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmac View Post
We do offer a 1 year warranty on all of our bulbs. a lot of times on aftermarket bumpers, if you put a nylon washer in between the lamp mounting base and the bumper light tab it will take care of the surging issue that is blowing the lights. give PIAA a call at 1800-525-7422 and if it within a year they will take care of it.
Thanks for that info, I'll try the nylon washer. So I did call PIAA and they told me to call the place I bought them from wich is Got Chrome. Called Got Chrome and they said they would warranty them. I just need to pull them out, I'm being lazzy.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
mandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud of

mandzach's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
Thanks for that info, I'll try the nylon washer. So I did call PIAA and they told me to call the place I bought them from wich is Got Chrome. Called Got Chrome and they said they would warranty them. I just need to pull them out, I'm being lazzy.
They asked you to pull out the bulbs or the light housing?

Also, can someone explain the nylon washer / surge fix? How does that work exactly?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryde09 View Post
It mostly depends on how much you use them and what type of bulb you use. My foglights are on whenever the headlights are on, sometimes more, and I probably change them at least once a year. I'm using those Sylvania white bulbs which cost a little more but don't last as long. However, the standard halogens will last longer and are only like $7.

Furthermore, my PIAAs are mounted in the stock hole. Since they're mounted on plastic, I suppose its possible that they receive more vibration than a stock light that's meant to fit in that hole would, or if it were fitted on a solid light bar/bull bar.
heads up!
Having your 510's mounted in the stock location, heat is also a factor. I washed my truck a hundred times with the 510's out on the light bar but the first time I ran it through with the lights on and in the stock location, I cracked the lens. 2 days later the bulb went.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
jusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nicejusmac is just really nice
jusmac's Tacoma Gallery
alot of times with lights mounting metal to metal it will create a electrical surge that will blow bulbs. all auto bulbs need to be running at around 13.2amps along with the vehicle. a surge is when you get spikes either up or down in the amperage and is the most common problem is blowing bulbs. lights will tend to ground themselves when mounted to metal bumpers, so if you break that electrical harmony with a nylon washer or something it usually takes care of the surging problem
Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #13
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandzach View Post
They asked you to pull out the bulbs or the light housing?

Also, can someone explain the nylon washer / surge fix? How does that work exactly?

Thanks
the light housing...
Old 06-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
I think my driver side bulb just blew after 3 months. The wiring seems fine anyway to tell if its the bulb?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Mine burned out also. Just ordered a replacement set of bulbs from Amazon. Like $35 for 2 bulbs i think.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #16
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
When you got your replacement bulbs the PIAA site says the model is 15455 H3 does it matter if you use an H3 bulb thats different than that? I having trouble finding the H# bulb with that matches 15455.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
This is what i got.
http://www.amazon.com/13556-Plasma-C...8676621&sr=8-1
Old 06-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #18
My bulb finally arrives today, I am going to change it when I get home. Anyone have any tips or tricks or is pretty plug and play?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb_crew View Post
I also swapped mine out with the PIAA plasma ION yellow bulbs to match my figs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
My bulb finally arrives today, I am going to change it when I get home. Anyone have any tips or tricks or is pretty plug and play?
No, its pretty easy to do, pretty much plug n play.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
The old bulb doesn't just pull out where the plastic connection is. Should I just be a limitless rough with it? The buld doesn't even look burned out

Products Discussed in this Thread