Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Black Head Light mod HELP PLEASE!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
eltacoloco is on a distinguished road

eltacoloco's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Black Head Light mod HELP PLEASE!

well i am really pissed because I didnt even get a chance to do my headlight mod because i had my headlights tinted 20% and i was messing to much with my nighttiime vision soo I decided that i finally grew the balls to bake my headlights soo i proceeded to remove the film and the damn glue it left behind is pretty much baked onto the headlights and wont come off for nothing i tried every thing and fiinally i tried to remove with goo gone and come to find out i can ruin plastic and i think it started to do it to mine cause now where the glue was it is turning white....does anybody know of anything that can remove all this glue and haze on my headlights to make them look crystal clear again??? I am like completly freakking out at this point because I dont want to buy those stupid ebay fake JDM's I want my factory black head lights. any body with any suggestions please help!

or if anybody has any failed black headlight mod headlights where the lens's are still good i will buy them off you.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
NOMAD
ANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the rough

ANDYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
GOO GONE and maybe some serious sanding/buff/polishing other than i recommend you buy new un touched headlights off ebay and start over again
Old 06-13-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
WD-40 always worked well for me.

You could also try heating them up a tad with a hair dryer or heat gun. Don't go too crazy though, you could melt the headlights.

also try nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, cooking oil, mineral oil, baby oil. Try soaking the headlights for a few hours and then using a very fine steel wool.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
There are plastic polishes out there that work really well.
Once all the goo is gone, you will have to sand the surface, 2000 grit min until they are "smooth as glass" then polish.
http://www.autogeek.net/motplaspol.html

Just be patient and take your time.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
try some meguiars plastx. stuff works good
Old 06-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #6
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for WD40 also. I got some of the factory gray glue/adhesive on one of mine and WD40 and a little light rubbing and it came off. Also as has been stated you can use very fine grit sandpaper. This gets off the specks too from road wear. I got the Permatex kit that has 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500 grit SP in it. I sanded one of them and it ended up white looking and opaque instead of clear. An hour later using a mini power ball and Flitz metal polish the lens was clear again and looked like this.

WARNING: if you sand one of these use more strokes NOT more pressure. It takes time to do it right and NOT leave sandpaper gouges in them. I spent 2 hours sanding alone and removed 95% of 18K miles of road wear on them.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
Wave rider
BlueSilver will become famous soon enough
BlueSilver's Tacoma Gallery
DO NOT use a sandblaster.
Also, if your like me you will try everything and end up throwing it on the ground until it breaks into 50 pieces and end up buying a new one.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
eltacoloco is on a distinguished road

eltacoloco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks for all the help i ended up buying one of those headlight restoration kits for advance and it did a pretty good job on them made them look brand new again except for one of them that had really bad damage from applying goof off the one that is not for plastic which i was not aware there was one for specifically for plastic and what i did was start to eat through the lens a bit soo it took a more coars grit of sandpaper and now i have sandpaper groves in the driverside soo now need to re do it then it will be perfect! So finally I will be doing my BHLM this week end and will post before and after pics for you guys....again thanks a bunch
Old 06-17-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
08 TRD Off-Road 4x4
only_one is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Crew Chief
only_one's Tacoma Gallery
i have a pair i pulled off my tacoma at around 2000 miles. they are just sittin in the garage.

Products Discussed in this Thread