Cheap Grill-mounted Driving Lights

View Poll Results: Cheap grill-mounted driving lights
Harbor Freight 2 6.45%
Walmart, Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc 14 45.16%
Only light bars or quality lights are worth it 14 45.16%
Do nothing, driving lights suck 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap Grill-mounted Driving Lights

I have a 2nd Gen and I want to install some driving lights to improve the high beams. Although I'd love to do a light bar w/ PIAA's, my budget is non-existent so I'm thinking of buying some cheap lights and mounting them in the grill (it's the stock grill). I've read some similar threads, but I want to get everyone's opinion or experiences...

Are cheap lights worth it? Has anyone found lights that fit well and are bright enough to make a difference? Pics of your rig would be appreciated. Here's one option from harbor freight. I've read some walmart lights worked too. What's the deal with having to cover driving lights when on the street unless they have a mesh guard? Do I need to be take this into consideration?

Let me know your experiences...
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold#Murphy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nick
#Murphy's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Hella FF 500's and they work great. I use them in Virginia so i dont hit any deer. Has been succesful so far. Cost me 70 $. I have them mounted on a bull bar.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I have the hella 500's and i wasnt impressed with them at all. They are a very weak 55w light. If you get some get a 100w light.

are ou thinking of mounting them behind the stock grill?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
pyrate is on a distinguished road
pyrate's Tacoma Gallery
Interested

I would be interested in anything you find out. I am looking to do the same w/o adding a bar on the front. Mine isn't so much about the $$ as I don't have the room to make my truck any longer. It won't fit in the garage if I add a push bar on the front.

So I am looking at adding lights someway off the grill or bumper where it would not increase the overall length of the truck. I've even considered using some of the LED lights and mount them behind the grill if necessary.

I just started looking at options so am interested in anything anyone finds too. I will post if I sort out a solution.

Thanks,

pyrate
Old 07-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^I have the harbor freight light in the bed as well. I cut off the little black reflector covering the bulb and it made it twice as bright.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
If your going to put on lights put on Good ones. I like Piaa.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
look up the procomp 130 driving lights. love mine. bout 45 bucks each. and they are 130w bulb all metal no plastic and glass not plastic lens...high quality
Old 07-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate View Post
I would be interested in anything you find out. I am looking to do the same w/o adding a bar on the front. Mine isn't so much about the $$ as I don't have the room to make my truck any longer. It won't fit in the garage if I add a push bar on the front.

So I am looking at adding lights someway off the grill or bumper where it would not increase the overall length of the truck. I've even considered using some of the LED lights and mount them behind the grill if necessary.

I just started looking at options so am interested in anything anyone finds too. I will post if I sort out a solution.

Thanks,

pyrate
Yeah, I'll definetely post what I decide to do. I have my foglights and bed lights in my build if you're looking for any ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
If you buy Harbor Freight lites make sure you seal them with silicone or they will fog up - you get what you pay for.

Mine in the pic

Stock grill is going to be a bitch. How about mounting them in the lower grill?
This would leave you some room to play with and I'm sure there are a ton of rectangular lights that will fit down there.
I never thought of the lower grill until I saw a post here on TW. That's certainly an idea, as long as they light up the road ok at that height. A goal of this project is to dress up the boring stock front, since its the only place I haven't really modified yet, so i don't want to hide the lights down there.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
I bought driving lights from Walmart a few weeks prior to browsing around Harbor Freights and found similar ones for $6 less!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Interested to know how they would do behind the stock grill, seems like they would get about 50% blocked.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
I have the hella 500's and i wasnt impressed with them at all. They are a very weak 55w light. If you get some get a 100w light.

are ou thinking of mounting them behind the stock grill?
Ditto. I even bought some better H3 bulbs. I'm saving up for a LED bar.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
Interested to know how they would do behind the stock grill, seems like they would get about 50% blocked.
x2 there isnt a way to put normal driving lights back there...unless you do a grillcraft or satoshi
Old 07-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
Ditto. I even bought some better H3 bulbs. I'm saving up for a LED bar.
I did the HID mod to mine and they are brutal now. The led bars are cool but way over priced. You shoud try and do the HID mod. 40 bucks from DDMtuning
Old 07-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
Yeah, I'm assuming they'd have to be a square shape and fit in between the grill bars. If I did round off-road driving lights, I'd spend the money on a light bar. I'm just looking for something that will compliment/extend my high beams and be a fun project.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #15

light bar FTW
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...B01&c=EX&m=all
Old 07-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #16
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
look up the procomp 130 driving lights. love mine. bout 45 bucks each. and they are 130w bulb all metal no plastic and glass not plastic lens...high quality
X2

Had them on a previous truck. A good value. I would have them on my current truck, but I still need to decide what lightbar to buy.

When I bought my 130s they did not include wiring, so keep that in mind. It was not a big deal for me, I am comfortable with wiring.

If you need lights on the cheap, check the classifieds on here for a used lightbar, then pickup some pro comps!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #17
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Hella 500 from WallyWorld (or 500FF for off-road)...at $60 a pair, you won't feel bad if something happens to them.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
the rectangular lights like from HF. well they won't easily fit in the lower grill
the opening is not tall enough
only place i can see would be under the bumper and then they would be too close to the ground to give good light ( and easy for rocks to break the glass)

do you know anyone that could fab you something like a light bar?
nothing fancy, just come out from under the bumper and come up , across and back down to the other side ( if you look you can see where they mount the light bars ;-D ( just look online at the instructions for installing any bull bar
Thanks for the info.

My friend that helped build my step bars is willing to do it, but now he lives 7 hours away, so that's not in the near future. I'll send you info if I ever get it done.