1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hella 500 Question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mwerner1, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Jul 10, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    mwerner1

mwerner1 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Fairfield, CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Mag. Grey TRD Sport
    Rebadged, 20% Tint all-around, Alpine 9886 head unit, Infinity Kappa Component Speakers, MTX Jackhammer Amp, Extang SolidFold Bedcover, In-Channel Vent Visors, Satoshi Grille, Aux Lamps Behind the Grille, Bed Lights, HID Fogs, Yellow Lamin-X on Fogs
    So I installed my hella 500 black magics today behind the satoshi and got it all wired up. I didnt slice into the high/low beams like they said to cause i wanted full control of the lights so i just put the two power connectors onto the battery. Once I got everything hooked up and turned them on it didnt seem like they were as bright as i thought they were going to be. Did I do something wrong???

2. Jul 10, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    there is no dim, its on or off, so no.

seeing as how they are black magics they prob are not as bright as regular 500's, and it is hard to convert these to HID. good luck.

3. Jul 10, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    mwerner1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Fairfield, CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Mag. Grey TRD Sport
    Rebadged, 20% Tint all-around, Alpine 9886 head unit, Infinity Kappa Component Speakers, MTX Jackhammer Amp, Extang SolidFold Bedcover, In-Channel Vent Visors, Satoshi Grille, Aux Lamps Behind the Grille, Bed Lights, HID Fogs, Yellow Lamin-X on Fogs
    alright, thanks just wanted to make sure that I wasnt doing anything wrong

4. Jul 10, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    I don't see why it would be any harder to convert these to HID. I would suggest investing in some higher power bulbs or HIDs. Mine were pretty dim at first too, but once upgraded they are really nice!

5. Jul 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    mwerner1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Fairfield, CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Mag. Grey TRD Sport
    What you upgrade to HID, or bulbs and if you did bulbs what kind???

6. Jul 10, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Look at the stickies in this forum.

7. Jul 10, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I had the regular 500s on my last truck. They definitely did not have the "WOW" factor by themselves, but they were fine to fill in the gaps in the high beam coverage. Make sure you take the time to aim them straight down the road. You might be okay with them after that.

Products Discussed in

To Top