Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Help!! Problem with my Xenon HIDs

Old 07-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jen
jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jlvhrse
Help!! Problem with my Xenon HIDs

Sooo I just traded my old stock wheels for Xenon digital balast HIDs (headlights and fog lights) from a local tacoma owner (not on TW)...

So here is the issue. When driving home last night my driver side headlight did not come on! The two fogs and passanger side lights were working fine.. So just taking a shot in the dark I turned my headlights completely off and then back on.. When I did that it came on.. Any ideas on why it didnt come on the first time?

I hope I don't have to replace it already, I have only had them for a week but I got them used.

Thank you TW!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
bad ballast or weak wiring. did you get a wire harness with it? to test swap the ballasts and see if the other side does the same thing.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
That's a good suggestion but whats the ballast? Is that the metal box that came with it? LOL I have not really messed with them because he put them in for me and I have NO experience with things like this. Also, I have had them for about a week or two and this is my first time experiencing this issue, so there is no telling when it will and won't happen, if it ever happens again....
Old 07-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
bad ballast or weak wiring. did you get a wire harness with it? to test swap the ballasts and see if the other side does the same thing.
X2. Yeah jen, first make sure all your connections are nice and tight. Then try swapping ballasts and lastly, try to even swap the bulbs with each other and see if the problem continues. Other then that, I'm not sure what could be wrong with them. I'm 90% sure its the HID's issues and not the truck itself.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #5

jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
X2. Yeah jen, first make sure all your connections are nice and tight. Then try swapping ballasts and lastly, try to even swap the bulbs with each other and see if the problem continues. Other then that, I'm not sure what could be wrong with them. I'm 90% sure its the HID's issues and not the truck itself.
Yeah I sincerely doubt that it's the truck... I have never had the problem before. The only thing is it has only happened once out of the 40+ times I have turned them on.. Also I don't really know what I am looking at.. I am sure I can figure it out myself. From now on I will just have to make sure that both come on before I drive off..

This blows. I don't even have the guys number anymore becuause I broke my phone!!! I will have to see if it will turn on again..
Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yea swap the metal boxes lol. if you follow the wires do they go to a relay somewhere? harness should look like this:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...2852d66dbc613b

if you don't have a harness that's most likely the problem
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #7

jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have the high and low beam options though.. I don't think mine looks like that.. I will look at it when I get off work and maybe take some pictures to show you guys if I can't find anything loose or w/e.. (hopefully it will stop raining by the time I get off...)
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvhrse View Post
Yeah I sincerely doubt that it's the truck... I have never had the problem before. The only thing is it has only happened once out of the 40+ times I have turned them on.. Also I don't really know what I am looking at.. I am sure I can figure it out myself. From now on I will just have to make sure that both come on before I drive off..

This blows. I don't even have the guys number anymore becuause I broke my phone!!! I will have to see if it will turn on again..
Yeah its not hard, you will be able to figure it out. ANd yes, just make sure they both come on whenever you use them.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Were they turning on when you were starting the truck? Mine did that once and it was from an amperage drop when starting the truck. Has never done it again.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #10

Quote:
I don't have the high and low beam options though.. I don't think mine looks like that.. I will look at it when I get off work and maybe take some pictures to show you guys if I can't find anything loose or w/e.. (hopefully it will stop raining by the time I get off...)
you still want a harness, here's a low beam harness

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...cb692836c8c9dd
Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #11

jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah its not hard, you will be able to figure it out. ANd yes, just make sure they both come on whenever you use them.
Thanks danny... I wan't to go look at them now! Dern work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
Were they turning on when you were starting the truck? Mine did that once and it was from an amperage drop when starting the truck. Has never done it again.
Yeah they have turned on fine when starting the truck, the will be dim for a second (when cranking the engine) but then get bright once the truck is running.. I was not concerned with that.. They have also come on fine every time I turned them on seperately (with or without truck running).. Until last night, all of a sudden the driver side headlight decided not to work.. I am hoping something is just loose, it's strange that all I had to do was turn them off and back on to get it to work..
Old 07-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #12

jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you still want a harness, here's a low beam harness

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...cb692836c8c9dd

Thanks, I am not sure if he had one of those or not.. I should have paid more attention I will look and if not I will get one.. It just conncects the stock wires to the xenon wires? Sorry I am so clueless on this subject..
Old 07-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:
I am hoping something is just loose, it's strange that all I had to do was turn them off and back on to get it to work..
lol i'm going to sound like a broken record..harness!! it bypasses your stock wiring which in some cases isn't well off enough to handle HIDs. your stock wiring turns on the relay and the relay is what connects the battery to your HIDs

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness
Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #14

jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol i'm going to sound like a broken record..harness!! read the info

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness
look at previous post..

LOL I know I am difficult
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #15

yea sorry lol too many posts all at once!! let us know IMMEDIATELY upon testing
Old 07-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #16

jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea sorry lol too many posts all at once!! let us know IMMEDIATELY upon testing
Hahaha will do. For now Ill check for loose connections and see if I have one of those nifty "harness" thingys.. if not I will be ordering one (or two.. or four? whatever.. lol)

Thank you!!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #17

jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I didn't see anything loose.. Getting the harnesses ASAP.. and my truck just failed inspection for my HIDs.. what a headache!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 AM   #18
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Well, I didn't see anything loose.. Getting the harnesses ASAP.. and my truck just failed inspection for my HIDs.. what a headache!!!
Hmmmm? So it didnt have a wiring harness? And what did you have your truck inspected for?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #19
Menametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud of

Navy: ET1(SW/AW), Recruiter @ NRS TriBeCa (NYC)
Menametony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Menametony
huh? because it didnt come on it failed? or was it because you had HIDs? i passed with flying colors with my HIDs... hmmm i guess it didnt turn on
Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #20

jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmmmm? So it didnt have a wiring harness? And what did you have your truck inspected for?
State inspection

No, there was only what came with the plug and play kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menametony View Post
huh? because it didnt come on it failed? or was it because you had HIDs? i passed with flying colors with my HIDs... hmmm i guess it didnt turn on
It failed because the lights are not DOT approved / are not in the correct housing.. basically because of the HIDs not because they didn't work. I also took it to the stealership because I get free inspections I should have known better.