Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

switching 35w and 55w ballasts?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
switching 35w and 55w ballasts?

i have an extra set of 55w hid ballasts laying around...my question is, can i swap out the 35w ballast i have in one set of my lights for the 55w?

to my understanding, the bulb only determines the color, and you can hook up either 35w or 55w to it and it will work?

or am i wrong and the bulbs are speciffically made for one wattage or the other?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bump
Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Tacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Tacorunner87's Tacoma Gallery
When I ordered new bulbs it actually said 35w on it. Im thinking thinking you will blow the bulb if you hook up a 55w ballast to it.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
you should have matching ballasts to bulbs. the thing that determines the color is the kelvin of the bulb. the higher you go on the kelvin scale the bluer the color and the lower you go the yellower the color. 5000k is a mirror white.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #5

cool guys, i gues i'll save the 55w ballasts for when i remount the lights i took them off of. i know how the coloring works, i was just curious about the power ratings. does anyone know what is phtsically different in the bulb that allows it to handle 55watts vs 35?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
i ran 35w bulbs with 55w ballasts with no issues. in fact, my last set up used a kit that came with 55w bulbs as well. not only did the bulbs(55w) give me a crappy cut off, they cracked my headlight lense. by ditching them and going back to 35w bulbs, the cut was perfect the lenses were fine(i had swapped lenses)
Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #7

you said cutoff, so are you running a projector? did it crack the actuall projector lense? or was it stock housing? doesn't matter as much as i'm not using these in the headlights, just curious. what HID setup (company) were you running?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
yes i had retrofitted projectors in my subaru. the overwattage/crappy bulb, cracked and damaged the headlight lense, not the projector. the kit was the 55w apexcone setup d2s setup. i'm guessing you are looking to do a pnp kit in your headlights? figured i try to convince you not too. you will blind others due to the wrong reflector setup. they can not correctly focus the light. but its your ride, do what you want. good luck, i'm out
Old 07-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #9

well, i actually already have hids in the heads, fogs, and 3 sets of off road lights (I always go first on night time trail runs ). but i just got an all pro bumper and had to loose one of the sets of off road lights, so i was considdering swapping out the 35w ballasts in the fogs with the 55w from the off road lights not in use at the moment. not really worried about overheating as the fog housing has about the same volume as the off road light (it's a slim OR light), and i didn't have any issues with those.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
yea you can swap them no problem. your color will shift a bit but as long as they're decent quality bulbs youll have no problem. lifespan will be decreased, but who has their bulbs for 10000hrs anyway
Old 07-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #11

^^^ thanks Matt

also, perks of a lifetime warranty if a bulb or ballast ever goes