Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

BHLM success/failure

View Poll Results: Have you done the BHLM?
Yes, perfectly! 197 24.00%
Yes, and I screwed up 76 9.26%
I haven't got around to it yet 548 66.75%
Voters: 821. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #181
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Failure. I set out to do the BHLM and it ended up as a MGMHLM
Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #182
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Success!! I tackles it saturday hoping things will go as planned. And I love the way they turned out!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #183
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskie_78 View Post
Hey Eric, how did you restore the lens? I need o do mine soon.
I used a 3M headlight restoration kit. It comes with a drill attachment so you don't spend a shit-ton of time sanding by hand. That being said, it still took me a couple of hours to do (I'm a bit of a perfectionist).

Word of warning on that...if you don't "finish" it properly, it'll end up getting hazy again within a few months. The finishing polish they include in the kit isn't cuttin' it for me as my headlights are already getting fuzzy looking again. When I redo them, I'll look into getting them covered with some of those 3M clear sheets (usually used for body panel protection).
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #184
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
Completed the task but it took me over a day. I took my time though and let them sit overnight. Hardest part was getting the lens to separate from the housing, well and contorting the light out of the truck. Kind of bent the housing a little where the lens meets with my screw driver in a few spots but, I got it all back together and sealed with factory sealant and some silicon around the edge. More so I got a headache from baking the lights and the spray paint. In the end it all came out very well.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #185
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
I don't want to be part of that 9.76%... Maybe I'll grow a set someday soon and do it...
Old 06-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #186
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I did something alittle different then most and kept it chrome where the side marker lights are.. I think it looks alot better this way.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #187

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
And after going threw a car wash and its been raining the past few days.. Ive had no leaking or fogging.. I used the original sealant and then put silicone on the seam in the vulnerable area's.. No leaking for me! "Knock on wood"

Another good pic....

Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #188
Mr. Neon is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Avionics Electrical Technician
Name: Jeremy
Mr. Neon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacohound View Post
Did mine and my roommates and they both came out awesome, hers we did black and mine I did Coyote Tan... Ill post pics if you interested.
I would like to see how the tan turned out.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #189

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot to clean out the lense really good, and now I see some dust on the inside. But not much. You can barely see it. But it will be that little thing that bugs me forever! There's no way im taking them apart again! Im living with it.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #190

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I got some little spots all over the inside of my lense.. And was wondering what it could be from? Anyone know?
Im not going to take my headlights apart anytime soon to clean them out bc you can only notice it at night with lights on and at day time if your really close looking for imperfections.
I just was wondering if it could be because i didnt clean the lense out really good before putting them back together? Or what....
Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #191
Nemesis_5.0 is on a distinguished road

Nemesis_5.0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETaco23 View Post
I got some little spots all over the inside of my lense.. And was wondering what it could be from? Anyone know?
Im not going to take my headlights apart anytime soon to clean them out bc you can only notice it at night with lights on and at day time if your really close looking for imperfections.
I just was wondering if it could be because i didnt clean the lense out really good before putting them back together? Or what....

What type of silicone did you use? Im thinking about doing this to mine soon and I also plan on resusing the factory sealant.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #192

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis_5.0 View Post
What type of silicone did you use? Im thinking about doing this to mine soon and I also plan on resusing the factory sealant.
I used a clear rtv silicone you find at auto part stores.. But any good silicone will work.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #193
Gunmetal is on a distinguished road
Gunmetal's Tacoma Gallery
I retro fitted some revotec black headlights with fxr projectors, and I think the oven heat caused the clear coating to start to peel off from the outside of the revotec housing lens. With the film peeling the light output is staring to suck. I also have a leak, going to black out my originals and move the projectors over, and try sealing them up using the windshield roll stuff. I tried to reuse the old black glue by folding it back into the grove of the lights then rebaking and then adding silicon to the outside. Still leaked.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #194
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
I need a set of EXTRA lights before i got the guts to tear it apart lol
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #195
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
I need a set of EXTRA lights before i got the guts to tear it apart lol
Unless your doing a retrofit. I don't recommend taking your headlights apart. Buy the black ones from eBay and be done with it! If u do retrofit, retrofit your oe lights!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #196
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
I do really want to do a retrofit and BHLM. I just need another set of OEM lights, i dont want to risk my stock ones lol.
Even if i messed up my spare set, i can still drive my truck.

But the aiming of the headlights is kinda confusing..... with the projectors.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #197
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderpicks View Post
I do really want to do a retrofit and BHLM. I just need another set of OEM lights, i dont want to risk my stock ones lol.
Even if i messed up my spare set, i can still drive my truck.

But the aiming of the headlights is kinda confusing..... with the projectors.
You do need some lights in your truck while you're doing the retrofit. It will keep you from rushing. One thing I didn't do was hack my bolts off completely on the back of the reflector bowl and now my lights will only adjust so far before they bottom out on the rear housing of the light assembly. My elevation is good but my one light has a minor lazy eye lol. It's wasn't enough for me to unseal the lights and fix.

It's really not bad at all doing the alignment since its a cutoff. There are some good techniques and write ups on the site. I noticed me tweaking a bit after to get the cutoff perfect with traffic. You'll be surprised how much movement you get from the bowls holding that beam. There is room for error if you don't get the projectors perfectly centered in the bowl. Just make sure you cut your bolts off on the back of the bowl! Lol
Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #198
Captain Stabbin is a jewel in the roughCaptain Stabbin is a jewel in the roughCaptain Stabbin is a jewel in the roughCaptain Stabbin is a jewel in the rough
Navy: PO1
Name: Justin
Captain Stabbin's Tacoma Gallery
Did my headlights over the course of two days. Didn't have any real issues except small bits of paint chipped around the edges of the bezels when I put them back in the lenses. Other than that, it went pretty smooth. I reused the OEM sealant, so I baked the entire assembly again at the end then clamped it together and put the screws back in. Once it cooled I shot a bead of GE window silicon around the edge.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
You do need some lights in your truck while you're doing the retrofit. It will keep you from rushing. One thing I didn't do was hack my bolts off completely on the back of the reflector bowl and now my lights will only adjust so far before they bottom out on the rear housing of the light assembly. My elevation is good but my one light has a minor lazy eye lol. It's wasn't enough for me to unseal the lights and fix.

It's really not bad at all doing the alignment since its a cutoff. There are some good techniques and write ups on the site. I noticed me tweaking a bit after to get the cutoff perfect with traffic. You'll be surprised how much movement you get from the bowls holding that beam. There is room for error if you don't get the projectors perfectly centered in the bowl. Just make sure you cut your bolts off on the back of the bowl! Lol

If possible, can you provide me the link for the write ups on how to do the retrofit?

I plan on buying a set of extra lights to experiment on, just need to find a set that i can afford lol.
Also i know that the lights is super hard to put on and remove, without taking off the bumper....

Did you guys just yank it out with the bumper on or took off the bumper to do it?