Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Mounted lights behind the grill questions

Old 07-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
06TacoGnar is a jewel in the rough06TacoGnar is a jewel in the rough06TacoGnar is a jewel in the rough06TacoGnar is a jewel in the rough

Marines:
Name: Kurt
06TacoGnar's Tacoma Gallery
Mounted lights behind the grill questions

1. Can anyone fill me in on the best kind of fog lights to mount behind me grill? Are there any issues with moisture build up or heat damage? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Where is the best place to mount them? Directly to the grill or re-locating the horn and mounting them to the frame?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
06TacoGnar is a jewel in the rough06TacoGnar is a jewel in the rough06TacoGnar is a jewel in the rough06TacoGnar is a jewel in the rough

Marines:
... Maybe I'm just retarded.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TacoGnar View Post
... Maybe I'm just retarded.
Nope, not retarded...I asked a similar question and am interested to see what people say about your question.

I'm interested in driving lights without doing a grill mod and/or buying a light bar. I want to get a smaller light, possibly rectangular, that fits in the main grill or the lower grill without blocking the lights. From what I've read so far, the best lights are so big that you'll need to do a grill mod. I assume that the lights will be just as hot as any heat off the engine, so probably no problem there. There's also plenty of mounting points too.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
no problems with heat. some people mount them to the radiator support. some make brakets and mount them a little lower. the hella 500's fit well behind the grill.

Ive never seen any mounted on the plastic grill itself. that would be a quick way to break it and have to buy a new one.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
i drilled em right into my grill, they bounce a bit but not enough to make me need to make a bracket for them. hella 500 for me too
Old 08-01-2010, 05:19 AM   #6

Marines:
I appreciate the info. I think lights mounted behind the grill looks bad ass! I'll post pics when mine is done.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
Its all mod on the inside
hoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud of

Navy: DCC(SW/AW)
hoeflich's Tacoma Gallery
I mounted Hella 700's originally through the frame above the radiator in factory holes. No problems...but then I wanted the lights to sit lower, so I made the bracket like the other guys on here. Now time to remove them, and hid them, and re-install.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #8

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoeflich View Post
I mounted Hella 700's originally through the frame above the radiator in factory holes. No problems...but then I wanted the lights to sit lower, so I made the bracket like the other guys on here. Now time to remove them, and hid them, and re-install.

Are the lights not vertically centered when mounted to the factory holes?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Its all mod on the inside
hoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud ofhoeflich has much to be proud of

Navy: DCC(SW/AW)
hoeflich's Tacoma Gallery
Yes there centered, but sit high in relation to my satoshi, so I was using dbl female couplings to lower. A pain in the ass, now that I have the bracket though...it's cool.