Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Where to buy alternate fuse box?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
beef TACO no rice has a spectacular aura aboutbeef TACO no rice has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
beef TACO no rice's Tacoma Gallery
Where to buy alternate fuse box?

Hey guys,

just curious if any of you have put in alternate fuse boxes for aftermarket wiring, and where did you put it and where did you buy it from?

Thanks!

Also.. Feel free to post pics!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Here is one I found...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...k-install.html
Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
beef TACO no rice has a spectacular aura aboutbeef TACO no rice has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
beef TACO no rice's Tacoma Gallery
excellent, thank you man
Old 08-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
amazon. called blue sea fuse box
Old 08-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
If you want one that also holds relays (much cleaner), I've found some decent ones from www.waytekwire.com

The only good pics I could easily find is in their catalog http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/waytek/catalog223/#/124 on page 125

For this type of fuse box, you also need to purchase the wire terminators/ends, and plugs, and if you want the mounting base, that as well. (found this out the hard way)

I would probably suggest #46343 for the main box since it uses a fairly common type of relay (2nd gens use this same type of relay as well, so cant argue with compatibility if an important relay dies).

Then the connectors, plugs, and the mounting bracket are also on page 125.

Since I didn't order the plugs and ends until friday night, I haven't been able to install it myself, but the fuse box itself is water proof (as long as you use the plugs), and has a smaller footprint than the blue sea, although it is taller, and holds 10 fuses/5 relays.

I ordered the #46344 myself because I wanted to have some of the relays to be activated with the ignition and some to always have power. The 46344 uses a different type of relay as well, so if you go with this product, make sure you know which type of relay you need, and what you want to do for power (bussed or non-bussed), and dont forget to order the terminators for the size of wire you'll be using.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Killbuzzjrad will become famous soon enoughKillbuzzjrad will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
Name: Jared
Killbuzzjrad's Tacoma Gallery
Blue Sea is the way to go. Even though it was designed for marine use, it will work just fine with automotive components. Most of the other aftermarket automotive fuse blocks are either too expensive or not constructed very well so the majority of the people on TW have chosen Blue Sea. Amazon is a good place to buy it or you could get it from Western Marine. It looks like you have two Western Marine located near you. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...atalogId=10001. A Maxi fuse block is also good to have for backup in addition to your ST blade fuse block. Blue Sea also makes a good one of these as well.

As far was where I put mine, I kept it close to the battery under the hood. I used some 3M double sided tape for now until I can get a bracket made. I have seen some people put it under the dash but it doesn't look very easy to access.

Here are a couple of links to to help you out.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...k-install.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...-mounting.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ll-w-pics.html

Hope this helps. It definitely helped me.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
The Blue Sea are very popular, and I have no complaints about the one I bought. Just never got around to installing it due to waiting too long for a relay box I was going to install at the same time. If you want one thats been opened but never installed, I'll let it go pretty cheap. Its the 12 circuit, no negative bus, with a lid.

I would say that the one I got from Waytek is stronger than the Blue Sea, and will easily be able to hold up to more abuse. I know waterproof isn't a big deal, but it also doesn't hurt to keep your fuses nice and dry either.

The Blue Sea one is closer to a plug and play solution though, as the one from Waytek requires a bit more soldering and probably not as user friendly as the Blue Sea. It will require a little better cable management, but with all the wires under it, has the potential to be much cleaner cable management if someone puts in the time. The Blue Sea also looks prettier as well.