Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

My AC Controls Light Mod - How To

Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
m3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
m3zy6's Tacoma Gallery
My AC Controls Light Mod - How To

I figured I should edit in a preface with a shot of my completed blue and red dash, completely amber free -
(click on the pic below, and then click on the pic that opens to see the full size version)

I only want to change one thing. I am looking for a clearer/darker blue tint for the clock. I use the term "looking" loosely though, if I come across something better I'll change it, but I'm not actively searching. I am going to get my windows re-tinted this week, so maybe I'll find something there.

The mods are in this post, #1, and post #10.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

OK, so earlier I posted about a mod to the AC controls, but I wasn't sure what I was going to do. This is a walk through of what I ended up doing.

EDIT- For additional views of the AC control check this thread - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/106324-ac-controls-disassembly-pics.html

First thing, changing the LEDs.
Get two 3mm 3v LEDs in your chosen color for the AC and air recirculate buttons. I went with blue.

Completely open up the AC control until you are looking at the circuit board.

Remove the two amber LEDs.

Install your two new LEDs, maintaining correct polarity. The base on my LEDs had a flat side to help with this, the red backwards "D" indicates the correct way.

I swapped one out, and then checked it in the truck to make sure I was doing it right. I would suggest doing this. You don't have to reassemble the whole thing, just the fan control knob on the left.

-Now, if you just wanted to do the LED swap you're done. But if you want to change the color of the buttons keep going

Now, as I'm sure you've read, the AC control face is painted on, so there isn't a way (yet) to change that color to anything other than red.

The buttons are also painted, but....the amber paint is on the backside, which means you can strip it without touching the silver face.

I used a Dremel to carefully, CAREFULLY take off the amber paint.

EDIT - Aquilla1 found a safer/easier way to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquilla1 View Post
discovered that you can remove the amber/orange paint from the inside of the AC/Recirculate buttons using a Q-tip and fingernail polish remover (acetate)

Yep, that's a before and after.

Yes, it is completely clear. Yes, you can make the buttons any color you want (providing you have a way to tint them that color.) I kept the blue theme going.

I looked around the house and found an old binder divider with a blue tab.

I then cut it and glued it into the back side of the buttons.

All of this has led to this -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The blue LEDs are sweet, but the real star it the blue backlight. It is the exact same color as the blue on the temp dial. I love it.

I am only about half done. I still need to make the dial pointers blue, and the face backlight a deep red. The clock assembly is getting a blue makeover too. Once thats done it will be a perfect match to my cluster. I have a new radio HU on the way too so that will match as well.

I will continue to update as I finish up the things I listed.
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for sticky!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, added to my LED bookmarks to keep track of it for when I have a free weekend.

Rep!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
m3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
m3zy6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Bump for sticky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlurpeeBlueMetallic View Post
Sweet, added to my LED bookmarks to keep track of it for when I have a free weekend.

Rep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
bump...
props dude

Thanks guys!

Hopefully I can finish today, but Im not holding my breath. I still need to track down some red tint film and some blue plexi.
Will update once there is an update.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
props man!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I totally forget how I made mine blue, but nice work!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
CRfofiddyF is just really niceCRfofiddyF is just really niceCRfofiddyF is just really niceCRfofiddyF is just really niceCRfofiddyF is just really nice

CRfofiddyF's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! can you give the LED specs of the new ones and where you got them?
Thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #9

Navy:
m3zy6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRfofiddyF View Post
Great write up! can you give the LED specs of the new ones and where you got them?
Thanks!

flightcancled pointed me in the right direction, but I was unable to fine the 3mm, 3v LEDs he suggested in my area. I found these in a local electronics place called Practical Electronics. Just look in your yellow pages and find someplace that sells individual, small electronic components and they should have some.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #10

Navy:
m3zy6's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so I had more time today to figure out the red backlight for the AC controls, and the blue changes for the clock assembly.

I started the red backlight process first -
I got a red see-through from Staples and cut it to fit in the back of the bezel

This ended up not being red enough for me, so I pulled open a red sharpie and put a really thick coat of permanent red in the back of the bezel indicators.

I then glued the clear red plastic over the red sharpie. It is hard to capture it in the pics, but its as red as the red indicator on the temperature control knob.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started on the clock next.

Its kinda tricky to get out of the bracket. There are about six clips that you have to work to get it out, just be careful.

Once you slide it out you can open it up and you'll have this -

The face isn't held on by anything other than adhesive, just carefully pull it off. Grab some light plastic polish and a Dremel and start taking off the amber film on the back of the clock window.

Be very patient, don't bear down or work too fast. Use a lot of the plastic polish so you don't build up too much friction. It will take quite a while, but eventually you will start making progress. It is very easy to score the plastic by rushing, so don't. This is the easiest place to mess up. Since you cant just buy the face, and the whole assembly costs about $200, it is a very expensive mistake.

About halfway there -

And all done -

Now cut out a piece of your tenting material (a blue folder for me) and stick it to the back of the clock window.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now its time to swap out the amber passenger airbag LEDs for some blue ones.

Get some LEDs. I used some 5mm's from Radioshack-

I am swapping the "on" (LED2) and the "airbag" (LED4) LEDs with blue ones, and the red security (LED1) LED with a brighter red one.
EDIT
- The red LED in the picture ended up being dimmer than the stock one, so I switched back.

That gives us this -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put it all together and it looks like this. Please keep in mind that my camera skills suck, so the colors aren't right. The AC controls are really red, and the clock isn't washed out like it is in the pics.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
c.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to beholdc.coulby is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cameron
c.coulby's Tacoma Gallery
the guages.. are those stock colors or did you mod them?
Old 08-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
The MOST Badass Offroad Truck
BravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
BravesFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.coulby View Post
the guages.. are those stock colors or did you mod them?
He modded them
Old 08-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
Great mod. Reps to you
Old 08-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #15
lilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to behold

lilgerber's Tacoma Gallery
i need to do this . or you should start a service on here and do for members $$$
Old 08-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
Screw you guys, I'm going home.
06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold06aztaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cole
06aztaco's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of rotary bit did you use for the clock?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #17

Navy:
m3zy6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06aztaco View Post
what kind of rotary bit did you use for the clock?
Its the standard large polishing wheel. I went with it because it gives/flexes more than the smaller ones, so your less likely to apply to much pressure.
However, you can still mess up using this bit. I dug in slightly once, but thankfully its toward the border and not really noticeable.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
WHOOOAA...I gotta do this. Good job man!
Old 08-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #19
BCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
BCTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
nice. one of my next mods for sure.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #20
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
subbed