Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DDM Tuning 5k 55w headlamps....melting reflectors???

Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Kritter is on a distinguished road
Kritter's Tacoma Gallery
DDM Tuning 5k 55w headlamps....melting reflectors???

I just installed my DDM Tuning kit. 55 watt, 5k color... It's a little late now, but are my reflectors gonna melt? I hear yes and no here. Can i just change the bulbs or do I have to change it all out? what kinda time frame are we talking for melting?

As I said, its too late now and they are my stock headlights, w/ BHLM, but if it's gonna trash em quick, I will replace them..

PS I had good service and results from DDM Tuning...

Thanks for the help guys..
Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
i put the same... and no..but im first gen so its idk
Old 08-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
YotaComa is on a distinguished road
YotaComa's Tacoma Gallery
The bulb is not the problem. The 55 watts is where the potential danger is

You would be better off at 35watt ballasts. That will keep the bulb closer to normal operating temperature (also still higher than normal)

Running them at 55watt will slowly kill the reflectiveness of your housings.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
arent stock like 65watts?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaComa View Post
The bulb is not the problem. The 55 watts is where the potential danger is

You would be better off at 35watt ballasts. That will keep the bulb closer to normal operating temperature (also still higher than normal)

Running them at 55watt will slowly kill the reflectiveness of your housings.
i had the opposite experience that this. i had a 55w kit with matching bulbs. the bulbs gave a crappy cutoff and caused cracks in the headlight lense. after switching headlights and bulbs, the problem never came back. the headlights were from the same source.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It won't melt the reflector. 55 is too bright anyway. 35 watt is already brighter than stock.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
ok. how about this. 35w is brighter than stock like mentioned above, but if you put 55w in... then you will be blinding that much more with an hid kit in a reflector housing. i would stop worrying about your reflectors and worry about anyone driving towards you. it will suck, i see that shit all the time here in az.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The problem is that people go on the website and see 55. 55 is more than 35 so it is better.