Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

why is it so hard to take the lights out?!?!?!?!?

Old 08-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
The Philosophizer is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
The Philosophizer's Tacoma Gallery
why is it so hard to take the lights out?!?!?!?!?

so im putting new headlights in, and the bolt that you cant see keeping the headlights in is a pain in the arse to get to!!

just thought id share...
Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Dependent, pops was a Major
Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
hell ya it is!! i didnt have a ratchet and socket the first time i did my lights so i hard to effin take the bumper off cuz i couldnt reach it with my damn wrench haha. also when you put them back in just leave that bolt out its really not necessary
Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
yes indeed. i ended up sort of sitting on my tailbone doing half a crunch for longer than i wanted to reaching up from underneath the bumper with a stubby ratchet which kept coming off the nut. haha. good luck
Old 08-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Smackalicious!
Bz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 169th FW
Bz3r0's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bz3r0 Send a message via Yahoo to Bz3r0
Haha, It took me a good part of 3 hours to take mine off the first time. Once you've taken them off once and know their placement... Its much easier the second time. What are you taking them off for?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
you need a double ended swivel socket with long weiner fingers,and also have hyper mobile joints.and be a contortionist.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Taco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco505 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bz3r0 View Post
Haha, It took me a good part of 3 hours to take mine off the first time. Once you've taken them off once and know their placement... Its much easier the second time. What are you taking them off for?
X2 the first time i did it i was like ehh maybe 30min max, i was wrong and almost frozen to death i did it in the middle of winter at dusk haha it really sucked.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Smackalicious!
Bz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant futureBz3r0 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 169th FW
Bz3r0's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bz3r0 Send a message via Yahoo to Bz3r0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco505 View Post
X2 the first time i did it i was like ehh maybe 30min max, i was wrong and almost frozen to death i did it in the middle of winter at dusk haha it really sucked.
I feel you on the suckage part... it was one of the few weekends i had left before i got deployed, and i was stuck out doing it in the rain. The Grille, and headlights. People would walk out to their car with a look on their face "Man, that guy is nuts... why is he out here in the rain taking the front of his truck apart?" haha.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #8

Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
lmao yup by the time i was finally finishing up my neighbor was pullin into his parking space (i live in apartments) and almost ran over me cuz it was dark as hell and i was under the front end of the truck haha
Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
took me an hour for both lights. I found it way easier just to take the bumper off.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A 6" long 1/4" socket extension makes it alot easier. I didnt have an issue removeing it.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A 6" long 1/4" socket extension makes it alot easier. I didnt have an issue removeing it.

oh get off your high horse, we all know you probably made it look easy. I actually used a short 3/8 extension without the wrench to help unscrew it by hand once it was loose. that seemed to help a lot. only gotta use the wrench for a 1/4 turn or so.

And am i the only person who took the time to put it back in? call me old fashioned but i'm one of those it's probably there for a reason types.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i put mine back in.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan07sport View Post
oh get off your high horse, we all know you probably made it look easy. I actually used a short 3/8 extension without the wrench to help unscrew it by hand once it was loose. that seemed to help a lot. only gotta use the wrench for a 1/4 turn or so.

And am i the only person who took the time to put it back in? call me old fashioned but i'm one of those it's probably there for a reason types.
Soorry

I agree. It should be put back in.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Very easy for me.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 PM   #15

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
are we talking about the bolt blocked by the bumper? 7 pop clips, 2 twist clips, and 6 screws and the bumper is off. Really easy to get to everything
Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
I can have both headlights out in like 10-12mins now. R&R'n them the first time took about 30mins cause I mounted HID bulbs/ballasts too.
No need to remove the bumper. Remove the one 10mm bolt that holds the bumper to the fender along with the 2 clips for the splash shield and that allows you to pull the corner of the bumper down enough to get to the hidden 10mm for the headlight. Then, the rest is cheese cake.
Glad you got it done though.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
m3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3zy6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
m3zy6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
are we talking about the bolt blocked by the bumper? 7 pop clips, 2 twist clips, and 6 screws and the bumper is off. Really easy to get to everything
Exactly. Bumper 1/2 off is the way to go. The very first time it takes a sec to find all the fasteners, but
after that you can have the bumper down and the grill and headlights out in less than 10 minutes.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #18
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
its even harder to put them back in!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #19

Taco505's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan07sport View Post

well woulda put them back in but i lost them
Old 08-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #20
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco505 View Post
also when you put them back in just leave that bolt out its really not necessary
DUDE..you guys are all weak!! that bolt is so easy...and it IS needed....i've test fit several HID retros before sending them out, and trust me...it is needed....