Notices

Adding a trailor- how to hook up lights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
rpmuise is on a distinguished road
Army: 7 years National Guard
rpmuise's Tacoma Gallery
Adding a trailor- how to hook up lights

My 2009 Tacoma came without a hitch. I ordered one but I need to wire up the truck to accept the light harness on the trailor. Can anyone recommend a kit? On my last truck, I had to cut wires and splice in a black box.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Kazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to all
Kazz's Tacoma Gallery
Its very easy to this. You first need to determine if you require 4 pin or 7 pin. Either way go to any local hitch shop or truck accessories shop and buy the wiring harness that is made for your truck. I have a 2010 SR5 without the tow package and I just bought a hitch ( install 1hr) and the 4 pin harness (30min). The kit requires you to remove both tail lights. Remove the connector, install the new T connector. Do the same with the other side. Mine was from reese and it came with a small black box that I'm assuming its some kind of protection circuit. I mounted this behind the drivers tail light as described in the instructions. If you need trailer brakes then a 7 pin harness is required.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmuise View Post
My 2009 Tacoma came without a hitch. I ordered one but I need to wire up the truck to accept the light harness on the trailor. Can anyone recommend a kit? On my last truck, I had to cut wires and splice in a black box.

Thanks,
Rick
What do you need, 4-pin or 7-pin? There are plenty of 4-pin adapters that are plug and play. You can find them at autoanything or JC Whitney or probably your local auto parts store. If you need a 7-pin, you need to wire up a brake controller and find power somewhere also.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Its very easy to this. You first need to determine if you require 4 pin or 7 pin. Either way go to any local hitch shop or truck accessories shop and buy the wiring harness that is made for your truck. I have a 2010 SR5 without the tow package and I just bought a hitch ( install 1hr) and the 4 pin harness (30min). If you require trailer brakes then you need the 7 pin harness ( install is more complicated).
damn man, beat me to it! but yeah, what he said
Old 08-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
rpmuise is on a distinguished road
Army: 7 years National Guard
rpmuise's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Its very easy to this. You first need to determine if you require 4 pin or 7 pin. Either way go to any local hitch shop or truck accessories shop and buy the wiring harness that is made for your truck. I have a 2010 SR5 without the tow package and I just bought a hitch ( install 1hr) and the 4 pin harness (30min). The kit requires you to remove both tail lights. Remove the connector, install the new T connector. Do the same with the other side. Mine was from reese and it came with a small black box that I'm assuming its some kind of protection circuit. I mounted this behind the drivers tail light as described in the instructions. If you need trailer brakes then a 7 pin harness is required.

My trailor is a 4 pin so that's what I need to get, right?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #6

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmuise View Post
My trailor is a 4 pin so that's what I need to get, right?
That's it, very quick, very easy. All you need is a screwdriver. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Any of the major auto part stores should be able to get you a harness no problem. They have the four pin setup down to a science, no wire cutting necessary.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
So this would be exactly what I would need to do the same thing, correct?
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-43315-...DateDescending
Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
So this would be exactly what I would need to do the same thing, correct?
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-43315-...DateDescending
Looks about right
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man.

Products Discussed in this Thread