LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Show me your driving lights !

Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Show me your driving lights !

Show me what you got in terms of driving lights!

I've got the Aries pushbar and it needs some lights. I'm torn... I have a set of PIAA 520's on the Jeep that are pretty old but still look good and work very well. They've been cleaned up and painted many times. I've been talking about putting those on the truck - but my husband (the electrical guru) doesn't wanna mess with removing the wiring and installing them on the truck. Hell, they've been on & off about 3 different vehicles already.

So.... the husband has been talking about getting me some new lights. Don't need anything special or as expensive as the 520's. Round.... no cheapies either.

In terms of *lighting* - the Tacoma high beams are pretty damn good - bright and light up pretty far. I don't use them a whole lot. It'd be nice to have more ground cover where the taco lights aren't focused. I assume having driving lights on a bullbar (lower than headlights) - they can be directed more towards the ground? Thoughts? Or am I thinking in the wrong context?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery

can't....post....fast....enough....
Old 07-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Here ya go Janster. IPF driving lights from Costco. I have heard good things about this same set of lights from the FJ guys. And if you have a problem with 'em, all you gotta do is return 'em to Costco.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Hella 550's. They would look great on your 2nd gen too as you have enough round curves (ON YER TRUCK) to offset w/square lites
Old 07-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
mjp2, i was thinking about putting like 4 lights in front of my grille like your truck has. does it make your truck run any hotter (because of the lights blocking airflow) with them there?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
mjp2, i was thinking about putting like 4 lights in front of my grille like your truck has. does it make your truck run any hotter (because of the lights blocking airflow) with them there?
his probably runs hotter because of the ton of tubing he has to haul around.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
his probably runs hotter because of the ton of tubing he has to haul around.
Gas mileage is in the dumper due to extra weight but no problems with heat.

The shop made sure there was plenty of openings for airflow when the bumper was built. The base for each light has dimple dies and the front skidplate has an opening to allow air to reach the bottom part of the radiator.

Since the hole had to be cut anyway we used the race team logo as the template:

Scangauge shows the water temp running at a consistent 190-195 degrees.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post

HOLY CRAP!!! anyone mistake you for a UFO at night

do you need 1.21 gigawatts to power those
Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #9

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
HOLY CRAP!!! anyone mistake you for a UFO at night

do you need 1.21 gigawatts to power those
Dual Optima Red Tops, and I don't turn on the stereo amplifier when the lights are on.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm speechless.... Very nice..

At what point did you decide to stop at 6? If you had more room, would have more on there? (laugh)
Old 07-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Here ya go Janster. IPF driving lights from Costco. I have heard good things about this same set of lights from the FJ guys. And if you have a problem with 'em, all you gotta do is return 'em to Costco.
Nice and inexpensive - I like that. How's the beam?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
here ya go,janster.......hella 500's from pepboys.......good and bright, and not too expensive. i paid $70 for my set.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Photobucket
Old 07-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #15
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco

Thoses are wetin lights, I had on a bull bar before I got the all pro bumper
Old 07-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gas mileage is in the dumper due to extra weight but no problems with heat.

The shop made sure there was plenty of openings for airflow when the bumper was built. The base for each light has dimple dies and the front skidplate has an opening to allow air to reach the bottom part of the radiator.

Since the hole had to be cut anyway we used the race team logo as the template:

Scangauge shows the water temp running at a consistent 190-195 degrees.
hm thats good. I plan on doing a similar setup to Toy4Life's...ie no lightbar or anything, just right into the bumper cover (with a support under the cover.) Another thing I have to figure out is how I'm going to hook up all 4 lights to power so that they'll all be able to be on at the same time and not cause anything in the truck to work abnormally.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #17
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Heres mine lit up at night i have hella 500 they are nice and bright or as they say hella bright.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i just hold a maglight out the window

totally not kidding

i have these pieces of CRAP from walmart too...i needed something for a night run and didnt have $100 bucks to drop on a decent pair...so i spend like $35 total i think

they suck...they wont stay put...theyre bright though when i take the covers off
Old 07-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Here are my ProComp 6" offroad lights. They have a narrower beam that shines a very long ways. I got them from a local 4x4 shop for $70/pair. The blue ring around them matches the Speedway Blue.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #20
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Yes pencil beam lights are awesome when your traveling fast at night in the desert they come in handy.