Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Silverstar Epic Fail

Old 08-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
Silverstar Epic Fail

Last night I was getting ready to leave my house, turned on my headlights, and the driver's side front headlight did its best impression of an old school camera flashbulb! It was so impressive that it even got some passerbys to stop and do a second take as if to say "why did your Tacoma just take my picture?" I had "upgraded" to Sylvania Silverstars about 7 months ago, and up until last night I was pretty much in lust with those headlights. Living in small town Illinois and commuting to work through the countryside pre-sunrise and post-sunset many days, I even felt justified to own them. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with Silverstars, if they should last longer than 7 months, or if I made another poor choice. (I now have one stock and one Silverstar headlight, that will be fixed soon!) If I did make a poor choice, can anyone recomend another better-than-stock headlight that won't break my wallet or need replacement semi-annually?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I know a lot of people have been less than impressed with the lifespan of the silverstars. I have had mine in for over two years in both my truck and the wifes car with no problems, so...
Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been pretty happy with the times I have used them. From what I have gathered, over time, it seems the ones made in Germany last, while the others dont. See if you can find some German made ones, and give them a shot...
Old 08-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and just to be sure you did not touch the bulb with your bare hand right?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
To indicate if they came from Germany is there a serial number, or written on there somewhere as to where they are made, or a picture of the Hoff that I should look for?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
doubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nicedoubletaco is just really nice

doubletaco's Tacoma Gallery
They don't last very long, but there nice lights. I just upgraded to HID's from DDM tuning very much worth the money. Get the 35W 5000K about $25 I got the high low beam for $20 more the kits are plug and play and come with all the wiring.

www.ddmtuning.com
Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine from another member and they are still working great
Old 08-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikkers View Post
To indicate if they came from Germany is there a serial number, or written on there somewhere as to where they are made, or a picture of the Hoff that I should look for?
The package will say "Made in Germany".
Old 08-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
I never had any that lasted much longer than 6 months or so. I had one go out when I hit a speedbump a little too fast.
Love the brightness, hate the cost and lack of longevity.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobias View Post
I never had any that lasted much longer than 6 months or so. I had one go out when I hit a speedbump a little too fast.
Love the brightness, hate the cost and lack of longevity.
Seems the only ones I have had fail, have been the ones made in Thailand....or something. I cant find may packaging....
Old 08-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
i had my ultras fror 2 years on my nismo and 6 months on my toyo and had no problems.......i did notice a diminshed light output after time....
but 6 months ago i switched to ddm fogs and hi/low kit and love them
cheap and worth every penny
g/l
Old 08-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Osram Silverstars are made in Europe while the crappy Sylvania Silverstars are made elsewhere. You can find the Osram ones here:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=91But

I would suggest getting the Osram Nightbreakers instead, puts out more light.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=111

Use coupon code ZXRCX111 for an extra 10% off.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
Idrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud ofIdrivetoys has much to be proud of
Marines: 1341/1343/6222
Name: Ryan
Idrivetoys's Tacoma Gallery
i have never had a silverstar blow on me
Old 08-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Hambone805 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Hambone805's Tacoma Gallery
I had my silverstars for probably a year and a half before one bulb finally died. After that I made the switch to HIDs from DDM
Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
as in Gobias some coffee

gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Osram Silverstars are made in Europe while the crappy Sylvania Silverstars are made elsewhere. You can find the Osram ones here:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=91But

I would suggest getting the Osram Nightbreakers instead, puts out more light.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=111

Use coupon code ZXRCX111 for an extra 10% off.

Just orded some nightbreakers to try them out. Worth a shot I suppose and way cheaper than buying PIAA or Sylvania stuff here.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #16
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
hmm, i thought osram bought sylanvia? they are the same now as far as the their website says
Old 08-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
Another good bulb to consider would be the Philips Xtreme Power. I think they're a +80 bulb. I run them on my Subaru and they've been good for 2 years now, as well as running like daytime running lights.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #18
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTacO View Post
hmm, i thought osram bought sylanvia? they are the same now as far as the their website says
You are correct, they are the same company, but the Osram branded bulbs are made in Germany or some other European country, but the Sylvania branded ones are made elsewhere... inferior quality compared to those of Osram.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #19
as in Gobias some coffee

gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Thought I'd update. Just got my Nightbreakers in from powerbulbs.com and got to test them out tonight. MASSIVE improvement over stock. We'll see how long they last.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 AM   #20
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
I used to use the Hella 100 watts. I would recommend those.