Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

PIAA bulbs?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
What are you looking for? More light output? Blue tint?

Keep in mind, and coloring on teh lens, is essentially a filter, and blocking some of the light. Therefore, reducing its total output. ALso....When PIAA claims "60/55W=135/125W" There is NO WAY you can make a 60 watt bulb put out 135 watts. It would have to be a magic bulb that can ignore physics (Power in = power out, if 100% efficient).
Old 09-12-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok...I just read you want more light....Consider these bulbs.

http://store.candlepower.com/64206.html

http://store.candlepower.com/48nahiwamola.html

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-HLA-H831...=pd_sbs_auto_4
Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
I've run Piaa bulbs and had no problems. I've also run Sylvania Super Star Bulbs They work well
Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

Nice looking bulbs Chris, but all of them would require him to upgrade his wires and install relays. At least that's what it says. What would you recommend for simple plug n play?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
Nice looking bulbs Chris, but all of them would require him to upgrade his wires and install relays. At least that's what it says. What would you recommend for simple plug n play?
ANy bulb running less than 100 watts is fine with OEM wiring. I ran them for a few years with no issues. Going over 100 watts can cause the wires to run hot. IIRC, Painless makes a harness for higher wattage light bulbs.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
MJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
MJonesTrumpet's Tacoma Gallery
I use those PIAA bulbs in my taco now. They are great. I just wanted my head lights to match my fogs and all 6 of my PIAA aux. lights
Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
I know our stock headlights are huge, but 100W sounds like it would generate a lot of heat. Any known issues?
I never had issues. IIRC, I was running the 80/90 bulbs. They worked great! MUCH more light output than the OEM 55/60's
Old 09-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
I would be careful, the output wattage of the bulb is not the main issue, its the consequence of it being higher. If you increase power while keeping voltage constant, then you are increasing current. Passing more current trough a wire which is probably not rated for that = heat, heat + run time = melt, not to mention that resistance of wire goes up as it gets hotter. If the bulb says that its recommended to upgrade the wiring, I would definitely take that advice.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #12
tribalb is on a distinguished road

tribalb's Tacoma Gallery
ive ran both the piaa's and the sylvania high intensity. the piaa's were ok. lasted a good year. the sylvania on the other hand lasted only half a year. very disappointed. right now im running some cheaper sylvania's till i find a suitable replacement....thinking of getting these halo branded lights. not sure. otherwise im gonna wait it out when i get more funds for hids
Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I never had issues. IIRC, I was running the 80/90 bulbs. They worked great! MUCH more light output than the OEM 55/60's
picked up a 80/100 bulb at napa today, PN: BP1210/H4. it is packaged as "wagner" brand. i'll do some testing tonight and see how much more light it gives off. supposedly the OEM 55w bulbs give off 1000 lumens, whereas this 80w gives off 1700, so we'll see.

i'll be ordering some ceramic H4 connectors on egay and making my own upgraded wire harness w/ relays to ensure i dont melt any wiring...now hopefully i dont melt any lenses!!

i'll report back here when all is completed.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I ran PIAA's in my Impala SS before going to HID's and they were a decent upgrade, nothing special though. Equivalent to what a Silverstar would give you, but naturally they're just going to be just whiter and not really brighter since it's the same wattage.

And FWIW, I'd never run anything higher than a stock bulb on the stock wiring. Just a general rule of thumb I've always went by with my vehicles. What might not give one person problems could cause someone else headaches. That's just me though.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
GSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Ron
GSRON's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the "intense white" bulbs in my 06 TRD as we speak. When the roads are dry they work OK. Low beam is really good but the blue tint takes enuf away to make high beam worse than stock. The blue tinting offers NO advantage over a "clear" bulb other than bling appeal.

The biggest problem/concern I have is when it rains. The light output is so "white" that there is NO contrast and other than the reflectors on the lane markers you can't see shit, might as well turn the lights off as there's very little difference in visability. I know, I tried it.

After the rain we had here in Chico last week I'll NEVER run a blue tinted bulb again..... I'm also on the hunt for a quality set of yellow bulbs for the fogs.

Winter weather is almost here so I'm going to run some Hella Bulbs. They have more output than std bulbs, NO blue tint and are rated at the same amp draw as stock.

The Hella part # is H83140091 and you can get them from Amazon....
Old 09-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ check out phillips x-treme vision bulbs...$33 shipped. great clear bulbs, i really like them! i'll get pics comparing them and the BP1210's 80 watter i picked up today.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
And FWIW, I'd never run anything higher than a stock bulb on the stock wiring. Just a general rule of thumb I've always went by with my vehicles. What might not give one person problems could cause someone else headaches. That's just me though.
your right on the edge of the conservative limit of the wiring w/ the 100w bulbs, but i completely agree w/ you. this is why i am going to run the ceramic plug as well...better to spend a few extra bucks then have fried wiring!!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #19

^ sweet!!

i just picked up a set of these ceramic connectors to use for my custom 14 gauge wire harness w/ relays i will be making! i'll be doing a writeup in a few weeks when i get everything and have time to install.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #20
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
so I got the 100/80W Halogen Bulb Off Road Use today. They're the higher wattage bulbs. Honestly I'm not sure what I expected to see, but here are the before and after pics. I don't see a difference. Maybe it will be obvious when driving and looking at longer distances.

I'm closer to the garage door in the second picture, so the light spot is bigger because of that.

Products Discussed in this Thread