1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Head Light Assembly

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MJonesTrumpet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Sep 14, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    I have a random question, I dont know if anyone even knows the answer to it either.

A little history of why I'm asking...for the past like 2 months I've been toying with running dual batteries in the stock location using two optima batteries, very similar to the maya hunter build thread.

I now have a working battery box/tray, i have the batteries, the cables, even the high 180 amp output alternator. I have everything removed from under the hood that needs to be removed to put in this tray.

I made a cardboard cut-out of the base of the tray, to make sure it fits correctly, and it does.

Here's my problem. I either need to cut off the front leg of the fuse box to fit the battery box tray, or, find a new head light thats slimmer and doesn't protrude back so far.

My question is this, are there any DECENT after market head lights out there, that dont recess as far into the engine bay? I dont even know if they exist. I wouldn't mind if they were those halo kind, or just a regular looking headlight. I just want them to be decent/reliable head lights that are slimmer and give me more room at the battery (talking about the left/driver side head lamp).

I'd really rather not have to cut off the leg of the fuse box, though, it'd be fine, the other two supports, plus the fact that it will be pushed right up to the side of the battery tray, will keep it in place. I'm more concerned about having to cut off the one stock battery hold down plate next to the fuse box...id rather not have to do that, but I will if I can't find a new set of head lights. So, any advice/suggestions/knowledge would be great, thanks for the help!:D

2. Sep 15, 2010 at 12:38 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    I've personally owned the Gen 1 eBay projector headlights. They are much more slim than stock headlights. However, I do not recommend them. Go for the Gen 2 or Gen 3.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Sep 15, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    gen 2 and gen 3?...i have a 2nd gen tacoma, does that make a difference? haha. thanks though! I'll look into them. Do you by chance have a picture of yours looking down on them with the hood up? thanks a ton!

4. Sep 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    hmmm ok, I now understand the gen 1 - 3 thing.

Does anyone have pictures, or can take pictures, or their head lights from a downward angle with the hood up so I can see how far the assembly sticks out? Or if anyone knows from the top of their head, whether its much slimmer than the stock head lights and doesn't jut so much into the under hood area. Thanks!

If someone is going to go take a pictures, thanks a ton! If you could take it of the driver side head light so that I can see the space between it and your battery, thanks everyone!

Products Discussed in

To Top