1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Relay help!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Caduceus, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Oct 15, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Hey folks
    I'm trying to put on rear aux. lights. I've got a 4 pin relay, with absolutely NO markings on the plugs, or outside of the relay (besides name/model number and volt/amp ratings). Anyone know which numbers that the plugs are supposed to correspond to?

After about 30 minutes of google, this is the relay I have:
    http://suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=117&osCsid=0164ba7ac139a7d8ca7943242b38c00a

If someone can just tell me the labels, I'll be good to go.

Thanks!!!

2. Oct 15, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There's some good info in this thread. Not 100% sure what you're asking...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/114262-wiring-off-road-lights-relay-help.html#post2192607

3. Oct 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    If the info isn't printed on the case, sometimes the pins are marked by the molded plastic near where the posts enter the case. If there still isn't any markings, you can figure out the functions by trial and error using a battery (use a 9V, not the car battery).

Ground one of the posts (i.e. connect it to the negative battery terminal), then connect the positive terminal to any one of the other three terminals. If the relay doesn't click, try one of the other two remaining posts. If you hear a click, then you've found the coil posts. The other two posts are by process of elimination the high voltage input/output.

If you didn't hear it click, move the ground connection to one of the other posts and try the process again until you figure it out. Once you think you got it all figured out, give it an operational test with 2 batteries (one acts as the control and the other as the high input) and check that the voltage turns on and off when you excite the coil.

FYI: check out my electrical basics thread for reference/info (link in my signature)

4. Oct 15, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    I'll give it a try Larryde09. Thanks. BTW, that's a great write up. I checked it out before I posted.

Nothing at all is molded, written, stamped, etc. Frustrating.

5. Oct 15, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Understandable...give that little test a try, good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top