Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Swapping Stock head unit LEDs

Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
CeRaTi
Rakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: OsKaR
Rakso's Tacoma Gallery
Swapping Stock head unit LEDs

Last night I decided to start changing the LEDs on my stock stereo.
I have no pics of how to take the HU off but you can check how to do it here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud....html#post3556

Ok, so once I took the HU out, I took off this screw as well as the other one on the opposite side.

Time to take the knobs out.

Sorry I have no pics of how to take the front of the HU apart, it's really simple, looking at the unit from behind there's 1 plastic tab on each side (left and rght), 2 tabs on the top and 3 on the bottom. What I did was pulling the ones on the side first, then the top ones and finally the ones on the bottom.

I ended up with this:

Then proceed to take all the screws on the board out, they are 9, 3 of them holding a plastic bracket (you can see it on the third pic above):

Once the screws are gone, I got the PCB free:

Then proceed to take the stock LED's out, this pic just point the stock LED

By the way, these are the LED's I used:
Bought from here: http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2

Left is stock, right is the new one:

Ok, time start taking LED's off the board:
I used a 40 Watt Weller, flux and wick.

And solder the new ones on:

The procedure of taking the LEDs off and soldering the new ones on is pretty much the same. I would really like to explain HOW to solder by showing you with pics, but the only way is doing it yourself.

So after swapping 40 LEDs, I put the PBC back in place. (I didn't do the display cause it was late and I had to work the next morning)

This is what I used:

OK... BEFORE:

AND AFTER:

Questions? Comments?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Nice job. No flux?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
greasemonk is on a distinguished road

greasemonk's Tacoma Gallery
Looks nice, I want to do the same to my truck one day. The white/blue combination looks real clean.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
No screen?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job ...switch my LEDs
Old 10-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
The screen is a PITA! Good job.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks great dude.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
CeRaTi
Rakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rakso's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaCoULuV2Hate View Post
Nice job ...switch my LEDs
Give me some money, buy the LEDs and ship me your HU along with the LEDs.
LOL
Old 10-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
CeRaTi

Rakso's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightcancled View Post
No screen?
No for now, I believe I have to take the display off to get to the LEDs underneath. But I'll do it for sure.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #12
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. I'd like to do mine at some point. How long did it take and how muck did it cost for the LED's?
Old 10-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakso View Post
No for now, I believe I have to take the display off to get to the LEDs underneath. But I'll do it for sure.
Do it- it's worth it! Here's mine:

Yeah you have to get the white support out by removing the silver frame and then snapping off the bottom corners on the white thing and sliding it upwards and out. Once you have gotten down to just the screen you need to bend it back and tape it in place. Now you have room to get to the LEDs. PreRunnerSeth does this without bending the screen, but he has fancier toys than I do.

I would also recommend covering the edges of the screen with tape so you don't burn it by accident.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #14
CeRaTi

Rakso's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I tried that, but the white thing is attached to the display, like glued together. I don't know maybe I was trying to do it wrong, I just didn't want to pull too hard and mess up the screen.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
CeRaTi

Rakso's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecloud View Post
Looks good. I'd like to do mine at some point. How long did it take and how muck did it cost for the LED's?
It was $30.33 total. It took me around 1.5 hours more or less, I didn't take time.