Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

My FX-R Projector Retro...

Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
~THE LIGHT GUY~
TBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
My FX-R Projector Retro...

Please read post 48 on page 3 for information on pricing!

Ok, so I finally decided to pull the trigger and start my projector retro.

First, I started by ordering brand new housings. Yes...I got the eGay housings. I figured projectors were going in them so any problems with aiming/sealing shouldn't be an issue after I got done with them.

Next, it was time to order all the projector parts. I called TRS (The Retrofit Source) and Nate helped with all the ordering. I got the FX-R Stage III kit with 4300k D2S bulbs, morimoto ballasts, gatling shrouds, and a wiring harness.

I dealt with both Nate and Matt during the process and they were both a great help. They answered all my questions and had everything shipped out right away. I have nothing but good things to say about TRS.

After getting all the parts it was time for the build to begin.

Pics:

Projectors temporarily mounted in reflector bowls.

After getting the cut offs close to where I wanted them it was time to pull everything apart so I could paint the shrouds and reflector bowls.

Once the paint dried it was time to put them back together and re-align everything.

After I got the cut offs right where I wanted them I epoxy glued the projectors and nuts so that nothing would come loose. At this point, everything was permanent.

While the epoxy resin was drying I mounted the morimoto ballasts to the housings.

Here are the rest of the pics of the finished lights...

Here are the pictures of the cut offs during alignment and after everything was said and done.

Low beams before adjustment...

High beams...

More cut off pics...

Still needed some adjustment.

Here is the final cut off after I was done with all adjustments. Dont mind the height, I was going up my drive way.

Pictures dont do these lights any justice. They are very bright and cover a LOT of area. The high beams are far brighter than any other stock headlights I have ever seen.

Well, now that I finally got around to doing the write-up on this retro...lets hear what everyone thinks.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
looks awesome man! do mine?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
They look so badass bro, the entire way to tucson I kept staring at them in my mirror haha we gotta do mine before you move
Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
looks awesome man. my retro kit has been sitting in the garage begging me to work on them

how'd you paint the reflector bowls, with krylon fusion?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
~THE LIGHT GUY~
TBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTBK224 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
looks awesome man! do mine?
PM sent.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
~THE LIGHT GUY~

TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
They look so badass bro, the entire way to tucson I kept staring at them in my mirror haha we gotta do mine before you move
Thanks man. Quit buyin random shit and order the parts already. lol You need these and the LED bars for the valance. Lets get the ball rollin. haha
Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks great man. I want to do this mod in the future I just have to decide if I want to attempt it myself or have someone do it.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
~THE LIGHT GUY~

TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8_BEAST View Post
looks awesome man. my retro kit has been sitting in the garage begging me to work on them

how'd you paint the reflector bowls, with krylon fusion?
Thanks. Pull the parts out and get those puppies mounted. They are night and day difference. I used high temp engine paint. I can post a pic of the exact stuff I used tomorrow. I wasnt sure if the fusion would hold up to the heat so I used the high temp paint instead. I have used it on other projects in the past and it holds up very well. I also scotch brighted the bowls before to give the paint a rough textured surface to adhere to. Good prep and plenty of coats is the key. Also, allow plenty of time in between to let the paint dry.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Sabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedSabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: FN
Name: Kyle
Sabre's Tacoma Gallery
sick i wanna do mine down the line
Old 11-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
~THE LIGHT GUY~

TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Looks great man. I want to do this mod in the future I just have to decide if I want to attempt it myself or have someone do it.
Thanks alot. Its not the easiest thing to do, but its also not to hard. It is very slow and time consuming though, so if you dont have much patience I would definitely consider letting someone else tackle it for you. If you decide to go that route, let me know. I will be doing this retro for members for a fee.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBK224 View Post
Thanks alot. Its not the easiest thing to do, but its also not to hard. It is very slow and time consuming though, so if you dont have much patience I would definitely consider letting someone else tackle it for you. If you decide to go that route, let me know. I will be doing this retro for members for a fee.
would you do a 1st gen?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
~THE LIGHT GUY~

TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
I have had a few people ask me about first gens. I wouldnt mind doing them, the only problem is I do not have a first gen available to work with. I would need the vehicle to mount the lights to get the cut offs just right. Without actually mounting them in the truck I dont see how I could get the cut offs perfectly level.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
TRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
TRDguyKC's Tacoma Gallery
It turned out great! good job
Old 11-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #14
~THE LIGHT GUY~

TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDguyKC View Post
It turned out great! good job
Thanks Kris. I really like the way they turned out. The ouput on them is incredible. We need to get another wheelin trip together. The last one was pretty fun.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:34 AM   #15
Blank
TucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TucsonMike's Tacoma Gallery
Looks nice. I want that along with hid fogs the light bar you have etc. lol
Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #16
~THE LIGHT GUY~

TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonMike View Post
Looks nice. I want that along with hid fogs the light bar you have etc. lol
Lets order it all!! Its kinda like a band-aid, if you do it all at once and do it fast it wont hurt as bad. lol
Old 11-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #17
Blank
TucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTucsonMike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TucsonMike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBK224 View Post
Lets order it all!! Its kinda like a band-aid, if you do it all at once and do it fast it wont hurt as bad. lol
Ok you tell the wife that and if she is ok with it then I will
Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #18
~THE LIGHT GUY~

TBK224's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonMike View Post
Ok you tell the wife that and if she is ok with it then I will
Thats the beauty of not being married...lol
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #20
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Looks really nice. One question. Which bulb did you go with, the Morimoto or Phillips 85122+? I can tell you from my experience that the Phillips bulb is a much better and brighter bulb than the Morimoto. I ran the Morimotos for a couple of months and made the switch to the Phillips bulbs a couple of weeks ago.