Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Headlight keeps burning out

Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Flip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: STA Ponce De Leon
Name: Rusty Shackleford
Flip_Pallot's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight keeps burning out

Well, my left headlight has burned out twice in about a month in a half. Initially it was the stock bulb, then it burned out. Put in Silverstars, burned out in about a month and half. Both times it's only on the driver side. Any ideas? Possible grounding issues maybe or just bad luck?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you are not touching the bulbs (glass) with your fingers.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Flip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud ofFlip_Pallot has much to be proud of
Yea, thats not the issue. I'm super careful about that
Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
bagster is on a distinguished road
Army: dog handler
bagster's Tacoma Gallery
I once had the same problem on an old GMC pickup. It turned out to be a bad plug-in where it hooks to the sealed beam and the resulting low voltage shortened the life of the headlight. Yours could be a similar problem, although I couldn't tell you how to check it on your pickup. I'll betcha someone on the forum can help, though.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
Thanks man I'll look into it. I had a feeling it was something along the lines of it getting too much power or not enough
Old 11-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
You may also have a loose connection somewhere that is causing intermittent transient voltage levels. (brighter/dimmer)....which can also shorten your bulb life...but also understand that the silverstars have a shorter life that standard bulbs...but....They should not be THAT short!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
Speed Pig is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Speed Pig's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same issue my left head light burns out about every 2 to three months even when i put hids in it still burned out the left side did you ever find out what was causing it.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just checked resistance. Again it is the driver side low beam that is burning out. Checked the pigtail on the driver side and resitance from ground to low beam is 0.7 ohms, hi beam is 0.5 ohms. When I check all three on the pig tail to the body ground, they all show a resistance of 670 ohms. So I went to the passenger side to check that pigtail, resistance from ground to low beam is 150 ohms. This is considerably higher than the rest, yet the low beam on that side still works. Resistance from ground to hi beam was the same as the driver side at 0.5 ohms. Did the same test from pig tail to body ground, the hi beam and ground to the body ground was 670 ohms, but the low beam was 850 ohms. I am not an electrical trouble shooting guy at all, but I do know that this isn't right. Any advice or just a finger in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
josh2002 is on a distinguished road

josh2002's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 07 same problem on the drivers side. I put in like not kidding 15 sets of all kinds of bulbs hids different brands same thing drivers side.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #11
nermalgod is a jewel in the roughnermalgod is a jewel in the roughnermalgod is a jewel in the rough
nermalgod's Tacoma Gallery
Old thread I know . . .

I've been replacing bulbs about every 6-10 months one at a time as they burn out; both sides. I've started keeping a two spare bulbs in the truck at all times. I've never had a vehicle go through as many headlight bulbs as my 2006 does. At $30 a set it's not crazy expensive, but I'm mad that it happens. I haven't been able to identify any pattern and the enclosures, seals, and wiring appear to be in good shape.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
clia25 is on a distinguished road
clia25's Tacoma Gallery
same thing

I've just bought my fourth in 3 months. my originals lasted 4+ years. I've searched the forum but have not found a solution. Thoughts?