1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight keeps burning out

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Flip_Pallot, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Nov 12, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    Flip_Pallot

Flip_Pallot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty Shackleford
    East Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    None of that fancy electronic stuff
    Well, my left headlight has burned out twice in about a month in a half. Initially it was the stock bulb, then it burned out. Put in Silverstars, burned out in about a month and half. Both times it's only on the driver side. Any ideas? Possible grounding issues maybe or just bad luck?
    Thanks

BrittyT likes this.
  2. Nov 12, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Make sure you are not touching the bulbs (glass) with your fingers.

3. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    Flip_Pallot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty Shackleford
    East Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yea, thats not the issue. I'm super careful about that

4. Nov 15, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    bagster

bagster Well-Known Member

Member:
    I once had the same problem on an old GMC pickup. It turned out to be a bad plug-in where it hooks to the sealed beam and the resulting low voltage shortened the life of the headlight. Yours could be a similar problem, although I couldn't tell you how to check it on your pickup. I'll betcha someone on the forum can help, though.

5. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    Flip_Pallot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty Shackleford
    East Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man I'll look into it. I had a feeling it was something along the lines of it getting too much power or not enough

6. Nov 16, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    You may also have a loose connection somewhere that is causing intermittent transient voltage levels. (brighter/dimmer)....which can also shorten your bulb life...but also understand that the silverstars have a shorter life that standard bulbs...but....They should not be THAT short!

7. Feb 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    Speed Pig

Speed Pig Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    California City
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Pro Comp Lift, TRD Cold Air Intake, 40 series flowmaster Exaust, 33x1250R-17/C2 105Q GENERAL GRABbERS
    I have the same issue my left head light burns out about every 2 to three months even when i put hids in it still burned out the left side did you ever find out what was causing it.

8. May 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I am having the same issues with the driver side low beam. Any one know what the deal is yet?

9. May 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Just checked resistance. Again it is the driver side low beam that is burning out. Checked the pigtail on the driver side and resitance from ground to low beam is 0.7 ohms, hi beam is 0.5 ohms. When I check all three on the pig tail to the body ground, they all show a resistance of 670 ohms. So I went to the passenger side to check that pigtail, resistance from ground to low beam is 150 ohms. This is considerably higher than the rest, yet the low beam on that side still works. Resistance from ground to hi beam was the same as the driver side at 0.5 ohms. Did the same test from pig tail to body ground, the hi beam and ground to the body ground was 670 ohms, but the low beam was 850 ohms. I am not an electrical trouble shooting guy at all, but I do know that this isn't right. Any advice or just a finger in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks.

10. Nov 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    josh2002

josh2002 Active Member

Member:
    I have an 07 same problem on the drivers side. I put in like not kidding 15 sets of all kinds of bulbs hids different brands same thing drivers side.

11. Feb 11, 2014 at 5:22 AM
    nermalgod

nermalgod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    Old thread I know . . .

I've been replacing bulbs about every 6-10 months one at a time as they burn out; both sides. I've started keeping a two spare bulbs in the truck at all times. I've never had a vehicle go through as many headlight bulbs as my 2006 does. At $30 a set it's not crazy expensive, but I'm mad that it happens. I haven't been able to identify any pattern and the enclosures, seals, and wiring appear to be in good shape.

12. Feb 11, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    clia25

clia25 Active Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    I've just bought my fourth in 3 months. my originals lasted 4+ years. I've searched the forum but have not found a solution. Thoughts?:confused:

13. Jan 18, 2016 at 8:00 AM
    Missinglink26505

Missinglink26505 New Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    11 Sport
    Bug shield, Window Shields
    I have 2011 Tacoma and have replace both side bulbs about 6-7 times total. I use Sylvania bulbs at $12 each. Seems to usually be the low beams but not certain in every case. No other issues with this great pick up. I will try different bulb next time. I never touched the glass on the bulbs. There are some cracks in the lens but no moisture in the head lamp. Was going to try appropriate silicon to seal cracks but a buddy said since there was no moisture inside this wasn't the problem. Please help.

14. Jun 19, 2016 at 1:31 PM
    yamabiker

yamabiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab SR5 TRD
    Continue to have this problem. Low beam goes out on one side every 6-10 months. When I replace the bulbs I buy in pairs and replace both. Anyone ever find the cause?

15. Jun 19, 2016 at 8:37 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Expected life of the lamps. Basic ones have about 1000hrs. Then the fancy ones drop to about 200hrs.

16. Jun 26, 2016 at 7:26 AM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    That can't be right, my lights are always on, that means they would last less than 10 days of constant illumination...

That said I have gone through my share of lights too...

17. Jun 26, 2016 at 7:31 AM
    SWM

SWM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD DCSB
    This was happening to me as well, just the driver side. It always seemed to go during startup so I got in the habit of turning them off when parking and turning them back on only after the truck was started. It seemed to work but what a pain.
    I switched to LEDS months ago and it hasn't been a problem anymore.

18. Jan 3, 2018 at 8:03 PM
    VikingTrad3r

VikingTrad3r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    "contractor model" white with black fenders
    "switched to LED's"

could you point me to the bulbs or headlights that you went with? id like to do the same if it solves the blowing headlight issue

19. Jan 3, 2018 at 10:12 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
  20. May 5, 2018 at 6:07 PM
    WebberLander

WebberLander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    Overlanding Rig
    Bumping this for a friend. His halogen bulbs will burn out in about 2 weeks after replacement. He switched to LED’s a few months back and they are still going strong but there has got to be a reason for halogen bulbs to be burning out so quick.

Products Discussed in

To Top