Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Interchangeable lenses OEM vs Aftermarket headlights.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
SmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SmilingMark's Tacoma Gallery
Interchangeable lenses OEM vs Aftermarket headlights.

I'm doing BHLM and HID retro this weekend. I'm not saying that I screwed up my passenger side clear acrylic outside lens or anything, but if I did need to get a new one, are the cheapo headlight lenses the same as OEM?

I just need the lens, thinking about buying a cheap set. After heating and removal, can I use window weld and put the aftermarket lens on my OEM housing?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
wrecklessfool is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Maintenance Officer
Name: Jason
wrecklessfool's Tacoma Gallery
Good question! I know this is an old thread, but I have taken the plunge and bought a set of aftermarket TYC headlight assemblies from Rockauto. I separated the lenses already and I will be attempting to install them on my factory housings in the near future. The LOOK like they will fit ok, just won't know for sure until I give it a shot. Anyone else out there tried this??
Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
Edpsx is on a distinguished road
Edpsx's Tacoma Gallery
Id imagine they are the same. I too did the TYC's and they look exactly like the stock lenses, but without actually trying to fit them I couldnt say for sure.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
TaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
TaylorU's Tacoma Gallery
Hm I'm interested as well as mine just are beginning to look like crap from being faded. If i a do a BHLM or retrofit, may as well replace with new, clear lenses.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
PMs = Not good for TRS Questions
AndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewTRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewTRS's Tacoma Gallery
They will be close enough that they should be swappable, however the quality and composition of the polycarbonate is not as good as OEM. Aftermarket will fade much faster.