1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

L.E.D. off-road lights...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Sack17, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Nov 18, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    Sack17

Sack17 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Sanibel, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DBL Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Bed lights Blacked out sport wheels blacked out emblems BHLM Spidertraxx 1.5" wheel spacers factory roof rack custom yakima wind fairing w/ PIAA off road lights up top snowboard/ski rack surf board pads fog light mod custom interior cup holder l.e.d. lights Bestop topper custom L.E.D. rear facing lights Maglite mod (2 front seats) 3.25" in the front 2.5" in the rear 6 Hella 500ff's (w/ Silverstar's) Silverstar Ultra's in headlights Silverstar Ultra in fogs (retro-fitted 65w 9005's) Hi-Lift (mounted on side of bestop) Shovel (mounted on side of bestop) custom 1.5" body lift
    I'm thinking about switching over to some L.E.D off-road lights. Any recomendations as to which brands to stay away from and which to look at and best place to purchase these pricey bastards. Thanks guys.

2. Nov 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I am familiar with this company... located near me... they build products for off road racing including great HID and LED off road lights: http://www.bajadesigns.com click on Truck and Buggy on the home page.

They have two styles of LED lights Ledgend and Stealth of different sizes.

3. Nov 18, 2010 at 11:51 PM
    TBK224

TBK224 ~THE LIGHT GUY~ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    6" Pro Comp Stage One Lift Kit and 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's riding on 18" XD Addict Wheels
    Check out Rigid Industries. www.rigidindustries.com These are, IMO, the best lights on the market today. These lights are built by hand in house with the highest levels of quality control. Also, Rigids customer service is second to none. Definitely check them out before you decide to buy anything.

PM me for more info/pricing, I am a dealer for Rigid.

4. Nov 18, 2010 at 11:57 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Of course shop and compare! Just because the company is in San Diego County, doesn't mean I would buy from them... look at my truck... I have a pair of Hella 4000s on it, not Soltek La Paz lamps. Price really does help the decision making... and I do want to klearn about Rigid Lights... Glad there is a factory distributor on Tacoma World!!

5. Nov 19, 2010 at 12:13 AM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    6" Pro Comp Stage One Lift Kit and 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's riding on 18" XD Addict Wheels
    These lights really are worth every last penny. They are the brightest, most durable and efficient lights I've ever seen. Just look at the off road racing industry, everyone is switching to these lights. I have nothing but good things to say about both Rigid Industries products AND their customer service. I'm not just saying this because I am a dealer for them. I could of just as easily been a dealer for any other light company. I went with RI because they are the best. Just FYI...all of the RI LED lights are warrantied for life against manufacturer defects.

6. Nov 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    Skipod

Skipod Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Daystar Spacer, PC AAL Westin Steps (for the kids) Softopper
    I was in a buddies truck last weekend coming back from a hunt and he lit up his new rigid bar. WOW! That thing was awesome. He had the 20 inch and it was brighter than I believed. I am buying myself one for christmas. Check them out. They seem to have the cred as TDK224 has described.

7. Nov 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM
    Sack17

Sack17 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Sanibel, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma DBL Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Bed lights Blacked out sport wheels blacked out emblems BHLM Spidertraxx 1.5" wheel spacers factory roof rack custom yakima wind fairing w/ PIAA off road lights up top snowboard/ski rack surf board pads fog light mod custom interior cup holder l.e.d. lights Bestop topper custom L.E.D. rear facing lights Maglite mod (2 front seats) 3.25" in the front 2.5" in the rear 6 Hella 500ff's (w/ Silverstar's) Silverstar Ultra's in headlights Silverstar Ultra in fogs (retro-fitted 65w 9005's) Hi-Lift (mounted on side of bestop) Shovel (mounted on side of bestop) custom 1.5" body lift
    Thanks guys I've been researching for the past week or so and have made a decision. I'll have pics up in a day or so. I'm stoked about the results. H.I.D.'s are def the way to go. They are so much brighter and makes you stand out even more. Thanks again guys.

8. Nov 29, 2010 at 1:34 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    If Price wasn't a factor I would get a LED bar. But since they cost SO much I went with hella 4000 converted to HID. For the price and value, those Kragen HID's are BRIGHT and SPREAD really well.

9. Nov 30, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Hey Tim,
    Will 2 of the Rigid 4" amber led bars be a good setup (and is there a way to securely fit) in the thin, lower section of the front grille? Used for incliment weather and/or trails on occassion?

10. Nov 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    Two of the 4" amber lights will produce a lot of light. As far as mounting them in the grille, I'm not sure. If you would like to mount them in the lower valance of the front bumper (where mine is), I make a bracket that works very well for that spot.

11. Nov 30, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Yea, thats the area I was referring to. Wasnt sure how else to refer to it.

So do you think 2 of the 4"s is too much? I figured it'd be slightly less than running one single 10" bar. Or do you just not think amber is the right way to go and that a white led is a better option?
    I'm just trying to figure out the best lighting setup and my initial thoughts were amber for snow/rain and either do an hid or retro for better clear weather driving.....

12. Nov 30, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    Two 4" lights would be awesome, I definitely wouldn't say too much. Really, you can never have to much light. Lol If your going to be in rain, snow, fog a lot then I would definitely go with amber. They cut through amazing. If you won't be in that kind of weather often then I would just stick with white. I would honestly rather have two 4" pr 6" lights over a single 10" just because you can turn them separately and change the angles a bit to cover more area, not focusing everything straight ahead like you would with one solid bar.

As for your headlights, if you can afford a retro I would definitely recommend going that route. They are MUCH better than regular HID pnp kits.

13. Dec 1, 2010 at 1:53 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    So, all the Rigid bars don't have the wide angle patern on the outside edges... or just the longer ones do?

14. Dec 1, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    The 4", 6", and 10" come in either spot or flood. The 20", 30", 40", and 50" come in a combo spot/flood pattern. You can also order any of the lights in either all spot or all flood if you would like, but they will have to be custom made and may take a little longer to receive as they are not an original production item.

15. Dec 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Thanks... that is great to know! Now I need some work so I can buy one!!!

16. Dec 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    SR5

SR5 Member

Member:
    Hi guys I would just like to add if anybody is looking at LED light bars make sure you have a good look at the Vision X range of light bars that use the 10w LED's.
    I had two Rigid light bars until I seen the 20" Vision x reflex in action.
    I sold my big Rigid and now have a 20" reflex from Vision X the 10w LEDs get more distance than the 3w Rigid ones did. They even have the new EVO Prime range out now which is meant to be even better.
    I was going to put the little 10" Rigid I still have on the back for a reversing light but I think I will sell it. It's a little over kill on the rear.
    I use both HID and the LED and think they work so well together.
    They both take up each lights weak spots. The LED's instant light is great over the little delay of the HID lights. The longer distance of the HID's over the LED's is also a good thing. But with these 10w LED's its closing the gap a little more
    I am just having a bar made for the VX. I should have it by next week I will post a pic for you guys.

cheers

17. Dec 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    I have not seen the NEW Vision X lights in person yet, so I cannot say anything about them. I have tested their old products against RI's original line of lights and they blew VX out of the water. For those of you who do not know this yet, RI is also coming out with a new line of products that should dominate everything else on the market including Vision X. I just got done talking to RI about their new line up and also mentioned that Vision X came out with some new products and here is his response to that...

"Tim,

The new Vision X 10w lights are very inefficient and will run into heat issues. *Also, our lights will still project much further than the 10W platforms. *The other item to consider is 4 3w LED fits in about the same area as a single 10w.
    I will hopefully have new lights for you soon, will keep you posted.

Thank you
    Rigid Industries"

That is coming directly from Rigid Industries. The other thing to consider is the price. Not only are RI lights brighter, stronger, and more efficient...but they also cost less than Vision X.

This is just my two cents...

I have nothing against VX except the fact that I was very unhappy with their customer service when I dealt with them. I just want everyone to know as much as they can before making their decision on purchasing high dollar top of the line off road lighting. With Vision X you are paying a lot for the name also.

Hope this helps for anyone planning on buying LED lights anytime soon.

18. Dec 3, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    SR5

SR5 Member

Member:

"Also, our lights will still project much further than the 10W platforms" :rolleyes:

What a load of crap the reason I know this is because I have both RI E series & VX Reflex light. The vision X reflex bar with the 10W LED's very clearly has a further light projection. But then again what would you expect RI to say about their competition.

The other item to consider is 4 3w LED fits in about the same area as a single 10w.

So what you still have the power of one 3w LED per reflector.
    Look at it this way you can add as many 35w HID spot beam lights in a row as you like and you will still only be able to achieve the same distance. You will have plenty of light but THE SAME DISTANCE NO INCREASE. Bring one single 55w HID spot beam light into the picture bingo you will have more distance. This also works with other beam patterns spread or spot you will end up with more light.
    Power per reflector it’s not rocket science.

The new Vision X 10w lights are very inefficient and will run into heat issues.

I cannot comment on this as I have not got the new EVO Prime range as yet but going by the rest of the coments they are proberly full of it as well. They came out in October so we should be hearing about problems soon if there is any. They are fitted with a ETM system its only job in life is to protect from overheating so I find it hard to believe that it will have over heating issues. ETM = Integrated Electronic Thermal Management. Maybe have a read about them on their website I did.
    I have just the spot for the 11" Evo Prime double stack all 10,320Lm of it with its 12 x 10w LED's 10,320lm in a 11' light that's crazy.

I just need to save some more coin first I hope to have it in the New Year. Seeing it will see a lot of time in 95F-104F temps I sure will test out the ETM system. I will let you guys know how it goes the last thing you want when handing over this amount of money is problems.

"I have tested their old products against RI's original line of lights and they blew VX out of the water"

You sure can excaudate blew them out of the water lol are you for real. This is when I purchased my first 30”RI light bar. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to see both the Rigid Industries E series up against the Vision X Xmitter range both 3w led light bars.
    It was so close between the two I ended up purchasing the Rigid Industries light bar. The reasons being it was made in USA and I liked the RI reflectors over the Xmitters. Not that one blew the other out of the water. There is some good reviews online RI vs the VX Xmitter there conclusion close but RI came out on top far from blown out of the water.
    [FONT=&quot]Maybe if somebody did a review on the VX Reflex lightbar (10w LED”S) vs The RI E series lightbar (3w LED’s) you would see one getting blown out of the water :p.[/FONT]

I have not seen the NEW Vision X lights in person yet, so I cannot say anything about them.

Then you said
    Not only are RI lights brighter, stronger, and more efficient
    :confused:

I just added the Vision X into this topic because I love mine and I thought the experience I have with owning both VX & RI lights would be helpful and unbiased seeing I do not have an interest in the sale of ether of them :rolleyes:.

I do have one question for you are the new RI lights going to use 10w LED's ?

cheers

19. Dec 3, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    06HAOLE

06HAOLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    ^^^^Very well said. There is something to say about unbiased information. You sound like a well informed customer. I am looking for LED info as well but the lack of information out there is what keeps me from pursuing it any further.

To the vendor a few posts above (TBK224):
    I would never buy anything from you based on the way you bashed Vision X. Im sure Rigid Industries would not like you directly quoting their email either. Most businesses have more class than to bash a competitor in a public forum like this. Sucessful companies let their products and their satisfied customers do the talking for them rather than their vendors. :rolleyes:

20. Dec 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    TBK224

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BADASS TACO
    First of all, I was not trying to argue your comment or call you out in any way. Like I said in the beginning, I was comparing VXs original lights against RIs original lights. Your comparing VXs new lights against RIs original lights, obviously they will be brighter. VX makes a good product, but in my opinion they are not built as well, they cost more, and I know from first hand experience their customer service does not even come close to RI. Also, VX lights are made in China where all of the RI products are made right here in the USA. Not only that, but they are built at their warehouse in Mesa which is only 30 minutes away. My opinion on both companies is unbiased as I compared both companies before I became a distributor for RI. The reason I became a distributor for RI instead of VX was because I felt they made a much better product, built local, better CS, etc... Please don't take it the wrong way, I am not trying to argue with you on lights. They both make good products and both companies are on the leading edge of the new LED technology. I just feel RI is better, but again, that is just my personal opinion. If you have VX and are happy with them then that is great and that's all that matters really.

As for your question, they will be going with a new 5w LED with a new patented reflector. The 10w LED creates to much heat, which is why he said they will be having over heating issues.

Once their new line up is out I will try to get my hands on both VX and RI products and do a side by side comparison for everyone to see.

Thanks for your write up, it's good for people to be able to get as much info as possible, especially when spending this kind of money for lights.

Thanks
    Tim

Products Discussed in

To Top