Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Turn signal mod for 1st gens with tube bumpers.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Turn signal mod for 1st gens with tube bumpers.

Some of you may have found that the only way to install turn signals after you have mounted your tube bumper is to either weld tabs onto the bumper and use the stock turn signals or mount an aftermarket pair somewhere else.
Here is my mod for using the stock turn signal "socket" modded into an aftermarket pair of $10 fog lites.

Turn signal just zip tied in place. It's held up pretty good for the last few months but now it's time to find a permanent spot.

Here is a set of $10 fog lites that I bought from the local 4x4 shop in the clearance bin.

The stock turn signal which we will be cutting the "socket" and some of the reflector out of.

The $10 fog lites dissambled to remove the metal reflector. We will be using a dremel and carbide bit to open the hole both in the metal reflector and plastic housing to accomodate the bulb and socket.

Dremel goodness

Carbide bit will pretty much eat thru anything.

Here we are cutting just enough from the metal in order to let the bulb pass thru. The stock socket will be mounted in the plastic outer housing and not in this metal reflector.

Dremeled and sanded to remove any burrs.

Checking for clearance, clarence.

We have marked where we want to cut and remove. I left myself some extra just incase. Basically we need just enough of the socket and about a 2 inch square of reflector from the inside. The reason for this is that the square reflector that we cut will somewhat act like a "locking" mechanism on the inside of the housing and wont let the "socket" turn once installed.

perfect

Ok. So here we have put the metal reflector from the fog lites back into the housing and centered it. We drilled a small hole in the plastic housing as our center point for routing out the "socket" hole for placement.

With the dremel we were able to cut the rear hole so precise that I had to force it into the hole in the housing. Very tight and the square reflector helps hold it into position.

Hole is cut, socket is in. Bulb and metal reflector checked for clearance.

Glass housing on.

Add a bit of silicone to keep the weather out.

I cracked one of the glass covers when trying to pry it away from the housing so I had to run over to the 4x4 shop and get another pair. All in all I have $20 and about 4 hrs of labor involved aside from mounting them.

There is a hole on either side of the flat metal brace just to the left of the radiator mounts on either side. They will require minor dremelling but should work perfect.

Caught in mid flash. The mounting bracket/bolt on the bottom of the housings rotate 75% so the bolts are actually directed back into the flat metal brace.

I will try and get them mounted up tonight or tommorow and finish up with a few more pics. Hope this helps anyone who would like to mount some aftermarket signals without welding new tabs on there bumper. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
dam brother that looks good as hell
Old 11-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
GETTN IT
th3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
th3bigk0's Tacoma Gallery
nice job man
Old 11-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up man +rep!