1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

paint for bhlm question...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by hawkman, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Nov 26, 2010 at 2:19 AM
    hawkman

hawkman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Prairieville La
    tinted windows,fog light mod,sock monkey decals
    I've looked at some of the write ups on the bhlm and haven't seen anything about primer or clear coat, am i just lookin over these steps are do u just use black paint alone?

2. Nov 26, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You can use whatever you'd like. I think the Krylon fusion is designed for plastic...so primer and/or adhesion promoter aren't needed I don't think. And clear coat isn't really needed cause it's inside the lens- so it doesn't need the extra wear resistance.

Edit- I didn't mention that you can use those things if you want tho. Clear coat can add more shine to the paint....Primer never really hurts anything I don't think...

3. Nov 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i think i used kyrlons clear plastic promoter first.the paint is meant for plastic but i took the extra step to make sure i didnt have to do it again.

4. Nov 26, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    brians05taco

brians05taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Lafayette,La.
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner white debadged 4.0
    lifted, bedcover,BHLM, grill, etc...
    i used krylon fusion satin black paint and has lasted two years with no primer etc... great paint and slight sheen to it

5. Nov 26, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I wet sanded the chrome off first to get to the plastic. It's a very thin coating and comes off quick.

Primed with Duplicolor adhesion promoter.

Painted with 3 coats of color matched paint.

No clear coat since it was being protected by the headlight lens.

6. Nov 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    Rustoleum falt black from Home Depot gives a good finish. Ive used Krylon fusion and did not like The finish. I never used primer and lights have turned out great.

Products Discussed in

To Top