Notices

DRL mod for the 2011 model

Old 11-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
bmet bob is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Bob
bmet bob's Tacoma Gallery
DRL mod for the 2011 model

Hey guys looking for some help with a nagging issue on my new truck. Just bought a 2011 Taco and noticed there is no way to turn off daytime running lights. My work truck is a 2010 Toyota Sienna and it has a switch on the light stock to turn them on/off. Noticed the threads on this site for earlier models of Taco's but not for the 2011. Anyone got a link or advice on how to accomplish this????
Old 11-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have read others say to do the DTRL mod but in reverse. Search around for the mod. Personally I like having DTRL.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
TRDSport10 is just really niceTRDSport10 is just really niceTRDSport10 is just really niceTRDSport10 is just really nice

Navy: AEDO-Retired
Name: John
TRDSport10's Tacoma Gallery
DRL mod for 2nd gen Tacos

Bob,

Lots of threads available regarding install of DTRLs on Tacos that donít have them stock., search GOOGLE and TacomaWorld, etc. Basically, you need to replace the turn signal flasher relay and add a jumper. The end result is that you will have the same as a factory install. Parts needed include

Toyota Part # 82241-04030 is a relay and Part # 81980-35020 is a jumper both available from your local dealer.

If you search DTRL, you'll get a bunch threads with good and sometimes useless info, perhaps too much. Several with photos, select:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...stall-oem.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=315828

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t164710.html

You may find these TacomaWorld threads of intrest also:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...free-mods.html

DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)

Beware there are a number of people who have complained about the DTRL bulbs causing damage to the lens inside the headlight housing - search this forum, youíll find them.

Good Luck with your new truck and these mods.

jfb
Old 02-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
On the second link from toyotanation do u have to do it to both lights
Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
like what kind of damage?!?! D:... i ordered some LEDs, will that be safe??
You will be fine.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
foreman is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
foreman's Tacoma Gallery
Bob did you figure out a fix? I want to disable mine on my 2011 and add a switch to turn them on. I'm sure it's as easy as cutting a wire!! Or Not
Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine a little different I used a switch to disable the DTRL but added a wire to both sockets and now have 4 lights on in the parking light mode. To go back to DTRL if I ever wanted to is to unplug the 2 wire connectors and throw the switch. Myself I like this look a lot better and I have gotten second looks from other owners. A few guys on here have done this mod also and like it as well.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #11
foreman's Tacoma Gallery
Hey all,
I did get my DRLs turned off on my 011 and it wasn't so bad just cut the green wire with red tracer and there you have it. I wired a switch in so I can turn them on if wanted. Thanks Mike for the parking light idea I like! Now I'm thinking about adding a remote start!! Any ideas on that Mod?? ( probably Artic Start)
Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman View Post
Hey all,
I did get my DRLs turned off on my 011 and it wasn't so bad just cut the green wire with red tracer and there you have it. I wired a switch in so I can turn them on if wanted. Thanks Mike for the parking light idea I like! Now I'm thinking about adding a remote start!! Any ideas on that Mod?? ( probably Artic Start)
Here is a pic of the "4-lamp" mod to see what it looks like.

As far as a remote FWIW, i don't believe in them. I've seen way to many issues with them. Take them out all the time. I'm sure plenty of Members will disagree but you asked. heheheheheh
Attached Thumbnails
DRL mod for the 2011 model-parkinglightmodupload.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #13
foreman's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck looks great with the parking light mod,i'm doing mine today. My wifes Toyota Vensa has factory remote and its a dandy you have to be within 25 feet to start it on a good day. Sooo what good is that for $500!! Big complaint but toyota isn't listening. And your right i'm a little hesitant to do this on my taco but if I can do it my self the kits is less than $100 so it wouldn't break the bank . Just figuring out the wiring is my main issue.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #14
PhD, DVM, MPH, MS, MMA, Esq, XYZ, 123, blahblah
DrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dr. (I just play one on TV)
DrFunker's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 with no DRLs. Means that:
1) they are not there.
2) the person that owned this truck before me disabled them.
I know that I need to poke around inside to really find out. But I am wondering,
Did this feature come "stock" on all 2011s?