Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

PIAA H3 intense white bulbs-a short review

Old 11-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
PIAA H3 intense white bulbs-a short review

Yep, I replaced my stock head light bulbs with PIAA H4 intense white replacement bulbs….thanks for a point to by a few TW posters.
The difference is staggering. The old bulbs (OEM) were 3 years old. The headlight beam color was yellow-whitish, and did not project well down the road.
The PIAA bulbs project a cleaner, stronger beam without a yellow cast.
I can really see the difference in bulb clarity when I have the headlights and the stock Taco fog lights on together. PIAA headlight bulbs-nice clean light, the fog lights look very yellow and don’t high light the sides of the road well.
Now it’s time to research a good quality H10 fog light bulb, PIAA doesn’t produce one.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorshooter View Post
Yep, I replaced my stock head light bulbs with PIAA H3 intense white replacement bulbsÖ.thanks for a point to by a few TW posters.
The difference is staggering. The old bulbs (OEM) were 3 years old. The headlight beam color was yellow-whitish, and did not project well down the road.
The PIAA bulbs project a cleaner, stronger beam without a yellow cast.
I can really see the difference in bulb clarity when I have the headlights and the stock Taco fog lights on together. PIAA headlight bulbs-nice clean light, the fog lights look very yellow and donít high light the sides of the road well.
Now itís time to research a good quality H10 fog light bulb, PIAA doesnít produce one.
I'm curious to hear how long they last. I've heard some comments on here about them having a short life. I ended up going with Philips X-Treme and Nokya yellow H10's for fogs (I don't have them yet, just ordered on Amazon, I'll let you know how they do).
Old 11-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm curious to hear how long they last. I've heard some comments on here about them having a short life. I ended up going with Philips X-Treme and Nokya yellow H10's for fogs (I don't have them yet, just ordered on Amazon, I'll let you know how they do).
I'll keep you posted. To me my old OEM bulbs started to fade around the 3 year mark. I'll be happy if I can get that out of my new bulbs.

Most of the folks I talked to siad they got about 3-4 years from their PIAA bulbs
Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll keep you posted. To me my old OEM bulbs started to fade around the 3 year mark. I'll be happy if I can get that out of my new bulbs.

Most of the folks I talked to siad they got about 3-4 years from their PIAA bulbs
Nice, hopefully they hold up, I've heard great things about the performance of their bulbs. I experienced the same thing with my headlights, I'm right at the 3 year mark and started noticing them dulling out. Do you want white fogs also, or are you looking at yellows? I've heard decent things about the nokya bulbs if you want yellow. Otherwise, i'm not sure if the Philips X-treme or Silverstars are available for the fogs but they're good options if you want white.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
GSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of lightGSRON is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Ron
GSRON's Tacoma Gallery
I too had the intense whites in my 06 Prerunner. I have switched to Hella bulbs as the PIAA's were TOO white to do any good in bad weather. Fog and rain = road side reflectors only and no visible light on the road surface. I might switch back to them in the spring as the dry road performance is hard to beat on low beam. High beam is too high to do much good due to the filament being moved inside the bulb (I compared the PIAA to the Hella and the stock Sylvania bulbs) throwing the reflector to bulb angle off......

I'll be interested to see how the Nokya H10 yellow fogs work as I'm leaning towards them in the future......

PS I had PIAA bulbs in my BMW Motorcycle for 5+ years and never had to replace them......
Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Motorshooter

Quote:
Nice, hopefully they hold up, I've heard great things about the performance of their bulbs. I experienced the same thing with my headlights, I'm right at the 3 year mark and started noticing them dulling out. Do you want white fogs also, or are you looking at yellows? I've heard decent things about the nokya bulbs if you want yellow. Otherwise, i'm not sure if the Philips X-treme or Silverstars are available for the fogs but they're good options if you want white.

I'd like to stay white, I noticed the Nokya white bulbs. The reviews are good on those also
Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Motorshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRON View Post
I too had the intense whites in my 06 Prerunner. I have switched to Hella bulbs as the PIAA's were TOO white to do any good in bad weather. Fog and rain = road side reflectors only and no visible light on the road surface. I might switch back to them in the spring as the dry road performance is hard to beat on low beam. High beam is too high to do much good due to the filament being moved inside the bulb (I compared the PIAA to the Hella and the stock Sylvania bulbs) throwing the reflector to bulb angle off......

I'll be interested to see how the Nokya H10 yellow fogs work as I'm leaning towards them in the future......

PS I had PIAA bulbs in my BMW Motorcycle for 5+ years and never had to replace them......
I'v had good luck with my PIAA bulbs since I dropped them in. Fog and rain, they really seem to light up the road to where I can see it very well.
In the fog they put out a good quaility shaft of light

After my bulb upgrade I'll be shopping for a good deal on the Hella 500FF fog light kit.
Nice beam braodcast out front and a good upclose pattern as well
Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Motorshooter

Update-just over a year and both PIAA H4 intense white replacement bulbs burned out in Dec 11. I put my old OEM bulbs back in...they still do a good job

I won't be spending $$ on PIAA again
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Update-just over a year and both PIAA H4 intense white replacement bulbs burned out in Dec 11. I put my old OEM bulbs back in...they still do a good job

I won't be spending $$ on PIAA again
Crap... I just went to PIAA Xtreme White bulbs a few months ago. One of my Philips bulbs blew when I got hit and thought PIAAs would be a good replacement, apparently not
Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
PIA makes crap products.

See my review of PIA 510's for reference.

If you want good bright light get some Narva Rangepower 50 bulbs from here http://www.candlepowerinc.com/products.pib.html

Same price, but good lights....and stay away from "filtered" bulbs with that blue tint shit on it. It blocks light - that's what tint does. It only makes you think it's brighter cause it looks whiter. Take the tint off and the same bulb will shine more lumens farther distances.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
Its hit or miss with the bulbs had one burn out 3 months after I put them in brand new. The other bullb is still going strong 10 months later. I just picked up 2 extra bulbs the other month So when the burn out I am ready to swap them. Not a big deal just buy the extra bulbs keep em in the truck. Found them on amazon or 4wheel parts for 30 bucks.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
Its hit or miss with the bulbs had one burn out 3 months after I put them in brand new. The other bullb is still going strong 10 months later. I just picked up 2 extra bulbs the other month So when the burn out I am ready to swap them. Not a big deal just buy the extra bulbs keep em in the truck. Found them on amazon or 4wheel parts for 30 bucks.
Except for the fact that swapping the bulbs is a royal PITA unless you have some tiny hands. I'd love to meet the bozo responsible for putting the battery right behind one headlight and the windshield washer fluid reservior right behind the other one
Old 01-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Hey sorry I was referring to the bulbs for the fog lights. I thought i mentioned that sorry I put in the ATP 510 for the fogs
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey sorry I was referring to the bulbs for the fog lights. I thought i mentioned that sorry I put in the ATP 510 for the fogs
Oh... I've had great luck with the PIAA bulbs in their lamps. I'm going on 3 years for my 520 driving lights and no issues.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
I remember Pugga your the one that talked into it I am thinking about getting the bulbs for the headlamps now. Till I have the money for HID, Trying to save up for a lift and wheels now.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Except for the fact that swapping the bulbs is a royal PITA unless you have some tiny hands. I'd love to meet the bozo responsible for putting the battery right behind one headlight and the windshield washer fluid reservior right behind the other one
Just finished putting these in my 4Runner. Got my 13yr old son to help get the ones by the reservoir and battery out for me!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I remember Pugga your the one that talked into it I am thinking about getting the bulbs for the headlamps now. Till I have the money for HID, Trying to save up for a lift and wheels now.

I love the light output from them, but I'll be pissed if they don't even last a year!

If you go HID, make sure you get projectors! I really like these headlights as an alternative to projectors because I didn't want to go through the project of retrofitting.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
I thought the narva lights weren't legal in the us? I thought they were european lights?

Your right. They are not DOT approved and are from Germany and meet EU standards which are superior to US standards IMO.

With that said as long as you don't get a higher wattage bulb then OE you won't be blinding anyone.