Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Stumped - 12V LEDs install

Old 12-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Stumped - 12V LEDs install

Alright, I've installed bed lights on a switch successfully so I figured I'd try my luck with a set of LED's to put inside the cab. I bought a set of blue LEDs very similar to the picture above at Advance Auto. I got home and opened up the package and checked out the wires.

I'm no electrician, but there is a small black wire coming from the module. At the end of it, it is cut with even smaller black wire and red wire inside. I stripped the two ends of these 2 wires and revealed the actual wire itself, which was 3 or 4 strands of "hair" like wire. STUMPED. How do I power these safely??? I figured somebody could help me out, I searched for a little bit but couldn't come up w/ anything similar to this. Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta_taco View Post
your in luck - i am an electrician lol i have installed those type of l.e.d's I have always soldered a new piece of wire to the small ends because there is not way you can use a crimp connector on that small gauge wire.
Man you've been helpin me out a lot lately...haha. What gauge of wire should I use? And do I need a resistor for these?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #3

alright thanks man, and again i appreciate the help....i'll give it a try!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #4

Out of curiosity, Why are the wires so small?!? It's alright to solder these tiny wires to 18 Ga wire? Idk, I tried to wire these up the other night, and it blew the 10A inline fuse up close to the battery...Im trying to figure out why, and I figured it was because I was connecting large wires to tiny wires. What would cause the inline fuse to blow? Maybe I wired it up wrong on the switch? Wrong size of inline fuse (10A)? Maybe a combination of mistakes?

Here is a diagram of how I wired them up.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:34 AM   #5

Its an oznium illuminated switch, and I may have had it wired up wrong because i just guessed when i did it (dumb) cuz I didn't have a diagram. I found the switch diagram on the oznium website so I should be good to go there. I don't have a meter to check it. Is a 10A fuse alright to use as the inline fuse?? Or should I go higher or lower? Thanks for bearing with me and my poor knowledge on electrical stuff.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #6

anybody? Trying to wire up 2 - 6 LED glow pads (12V). Using 18 Ga wire....What size inline fuze?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Looks correct to me. Although I am no electrician lol. My guess is maybe one of the wires inside where you stripped could possibly be touching, causing it to short. I had a problem similiar with a trailer I built. It kept blowing the fuse for my trucks running lights.

pissed me off...

If not then maybe the power wire could be touching a grounded piece of metal somewhere. I don't know much about diodes and resistors and all the mumbo jumbo.