hid help

Old 12-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
aka Tg
t33gee is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
t33gee's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to t33gee
hid help

i got an hid kit for my 03 prerunner. there are no wires from the relay that are supposed to go to the battery. is there something wrong or will this work. help please.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
What did brand and kit did you buy?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
aka Tg

t33gee's Tacoma Gallery
im not sure. i cant remember the website, my brother is the one that ordered them. we called and they said send us a pic wat was in the box. we did, they said everything is there it should work. but from what i been reading u need a wire going to battery + for power and u need to ground it, from the relay. there were no wires like that coming off of the relay. just went straight to the ballast. am i missing something here?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
aka Tg

t33gee's Tacoma Gallery
its on my bothers phone. ill get him to send it to me
Old 12-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
aka Tg

t33gee's Tacoma Gallery

picture. i dodnt work when i hooked it up. could i have done it wrong.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
SmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SmilingMark's Tacoma Gallery
I'm guessing those two harnesses on the left in the picture plug in directly to your existing Headlight connectors. No need to wire to a relay or battery, it must be powered off your existing headlight circuit.

Check your headlight fuse, it may be blown. It also may continue to blow if these new lights are pulling too much power.

edit: I'm not sure about 1st generations, but those look like the connectors for the 2nd generation. Hopefully someone else can comment on the type of connectors on your first gen.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingMark View Post
I'm guessing those to harnesses on the left in the picture plug in directly to your existing Headlight connectors. No need to wire to a relay or batter, it must be powered off your existing headlight circuit.

Check your headlight fuse, it may be blown. It also may continue to blow if these new lights are pulling too much power.
Yeah it looks like you have all you need for those to run without hooking them to the battery.

My HIDs are hooked to my battery with a wiring harness I got from ddm though.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
aka Tg

t33gee's Tacoma Gallery
i hooked em up just now. not working. fuses are not blown either. does this look right?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
SmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
it looks like you have inline fuses there as well. did you check these fuses and the main headlight fuse ?
Old 12-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
aka Tg

t33gee's Tacoma Gallery
all fuses are good. i put in my factory lights and they work fine
Old 12-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
Things to try:

1.) check all fuses. The inline ones on your kit and the main headlight fuse.
2.) Swap bulbs and ballasts and see if you can find a combination that works.
3.) Hook up your original headlights and insure they still work.

If the old headlights work and the new ones don't, you got a bad HID kit, send it back. That setup looks pretty idiot proof as far as connections, can't plug anything into the wrong place.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
aka Tg

t33gee's Tacoma Gallery
yea. it all can only plug in one way so theres not messing up there. im guessing i got a bad batch or something because i tryed this the other night and nothing. and pluged in my factory lights and they worked fine.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Here is an attempt a diagram explaination....
Item A: The cables with the box in middle, shown on the left side of your pictures
Item B: The ballasts, shown on the right of your picture
Item C: Wiring harness to HID bulbs. (top of your picture)
Item D: HID Blubs. (note that you already seem to have C and D connected)

<< connection to old headlights >> --> Item A --> Item B --> Item C --> Item D
Old 12-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by t33gee View Post
yea. it all can only plug in one way so theres not messing up there. im guessing i got a bad batch or something because i tryed this the other night and nothing. and pluged in my factory lights and they worked fine.
Bummer, ship them back and get a refund. Then get some projectors instead.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
aka Tg

t33gee's Tacoma Gallery
i got it. wires to the ballast were upside down. duh!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by t33gee View Post
i got it. wires to the ballast were upside down. duh!

Ha! Good catch, I guess idiot proof got us both.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
aka Tg

t33gee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingMark View Post

Ha! Good catch, I guess idiot proof got us both.
hahah i feel dumb. thanks for the help