Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

LED Gauge change, PRNDL still lighting up amber

Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
LED Gauge change, PRNDL still lighting up amber

I changed out the LEDs on my gauge cluster on the PRNDL432L to blue, except for the Reverse. When shifting the selector lights up blue but when not selected they are still amber. I know it is possible to get the amber to go way, just how. My thoughts are there is another LED that is back lighting them up or I have to color the overlay, like with the MPH on the speedo.

My gauge:

What I was trying to get on the PRNDL
Old 12-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, there is one more LED that many people fail to swap when they do the change. Take it all apart and just hook the circuit board up to the truck. Turn it on, you'll see which one turns on orange.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
fixed

Thanks memario1214.

I took the little plastic cover off before taking the white plastic piece off this time and saw how it was working.

here was my culprit.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

When it is all apart, that one just looks too far away to be an issue, but once that white plastic piece is back on there, you can see it easy.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get the LED's and what size were they? Also how did you get needles to change color?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #6

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Where did you get the LED's and what size were they? Also how did you get needles to change color?

Thanks in advance
PLCC2 surface mount LEDs
from
http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2
This post lists pretty much all of it http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ml#post1602008

LEDs on the board for the needle color when lights are on. When the lights are off, scraping the paint off the backside and repainting where the orange paint was at. This link helps explain it the basics http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110694
Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post

Thanks in advance
Weird thread to put this question in, but I shall answer it for you anyway! The LEDs are surface mount LEDs (the part is called a PLCC-2). They can be ordered off of Oznium.com for $.49 a piece. As for the needles, their color is determined by what color the light is underneath them. When you take the needles off, you have two options as how to proceed. The backs of the needles are red so some people sand the red off and are good to go. I didn't want my needles to look cloudy so I used rubbing alcohol and rubbed the red off with some cotton swabs. I then painted them silver. The light underneath my needles is blue.

Hope that is what you were looking for

Here's how mine turned out