1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blacked Out Headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Dewman4, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Dec 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    Dewman4

Dewman4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Haymarket, VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    black badges, aFe intake
    So I wanted to blackout my headlights but I am a little scared to do it on my own cause I don't have the experience of doing something like this. But after reading some posts I found the two links that sell blacked out headlights. I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with them. I have heard someone mention that resealing might need to be done. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-0...ts=Year:2009|Model:Tacoma&hash=item5d2c1a9ff5

http://www.xtralights.com/05-08toyotatacomaheadlights-blackwamberreflectorspair.aspx

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Dec 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    Hugebergen

Hugebergen Crash and burn live and learn

Member:
    Saskatoon Sask
    3"Toytec ULK, box mat, angle brackets in box corners for tie downs, anytime fog lights, bhlm, black grill and lip, trimed front flaps, 7089 procomp rims with 285/75/16 Toyo M/T tires, black badges with trd badges added,anytime foglights, lamin-x yellow fogs, illuminated 4x4 switch, colour match satoshi, Camburg ball joint UCAS.
    I got mine from eBay. They are exactly like those but are from a different dealer. I like them but one did come with a small leaf inside it. Other then that there great.

3. Dec 21, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    bluetaco80

bluetaco80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    fullerton ca
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner dc sb longtravel
    Full engage longtravel front and rear
    I also got mine from ebay and a good trip in the mud and mine fog up completly too

4. Dec 21, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    I have the ones from Ebay Revotech is the seller. I have had mine over a year with no issue. if your unsure put a beed of silicone around it

5. Dec 21, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    757southpaw

757southpaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    07' DC LB TRD Sport 4x4
    BAK BakFlip Tonneau cover, 30% front tinted windows, AVS vent shades, Black Billet Grill,Pop& Lock, secondary air filter removed, Goodyear Duratrac's, Billies @ 2.5" on front, Billies on back w/ 1.5" AAL, Toytec Diff drop, NOKYA Hyper Yellow fog light bulbs, LaminX Weathertechs, Rear diff breather mod, BHLM

I too bought mine from Revotech. Haven't had a problem yet :)

The lights in the first link are made by Eagle Eyes...same as what Revotech is selling.

6. Dec 21, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Doing it yourself seems way more intimidating than it actually is. I understand not everyone wants to try and do it on their own, but man, it really is pretty easy. Just looks a bit overwhelming at first.

7. Dec 21, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    mine are eagle eyes(off ebay) and they are dry as a bone. i've had them at least 9 months.......(i didn't seal the edges either)

8. Dec 26, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    LeadFootCaliKid

LeadFootCaliKid It's a work in progress.

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos UCA's, Icon coil-overs, Icon gas reservoir rear shocks, Eagle Alloy 17", Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Flowmaster 40, Kenwood deck, and dual 10" Kicker subs, shorty antenna. There's more...
    It's kinda of a pain in the ass though. And if you don't do it just perfect, it shows. I'd suggest buying a set from ebay, then take your time doing the BLHM on the old set, and do whatever with the set you dont want.

Anybody know if "Spyder" brand lights are good quality? Im looking into getting a good deal on a set of the blacked out OEM style lights made by Spyder. Are they any better/worse than Revotech or Eagle Eyes?

9. Dec 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    im still debating if i should go with those black lights

10. Dec 30, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    Yugo2slo

Yugo2slo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Black Head Lights
    I am a new to all of this.. I have been on Tacoma World for a few months and have made a few mods and repairs based on the information I've read.

I got my Revotech lights yesterday and am FREAKED out on doing it myself. I am somewhat mechanically inclined so that isnt the scary part. I guess my biggest concern is all the plastic clips that look like they have to come off.

Any suggestions? It doesn't look like it but do you have to take off the grill too?

Thanks for any tips!

11. Dec 30, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    0BlackTaco6

0BlackTaco6 Ive got tiger blood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DC SR5 4x4 6 speed
    Color matched and satoshi grille, hella 500ff behind, bhlm, sockmonkey bedsides, 17" sports 265/70 grabber at2's.
    Im not 100% sure if they are the same or not but I attempted to buy the set that was on neweggmall.com. The said they were from x3racing or something but when my order got cancelled because seller could not fulfill the order i tried contacting the manufacturer and the email address was spyder auto or something to that effect. like i said not sure if its the same but just be careful. i waited for 2 weeks for them to ship just to get a canceled order. i guess thats what ya get for $99. The ones on ebay from what I hear are alrite just give yourself some insurance by sealing them with silicone as said before.

12. Dec 30, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Here you go, my brief writeup on removing the headlights:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/128360-headlight-removal-pics.html?highlight=

13. Dec 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thomas, The little truck that could
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.
    i got mine from ebay too, i think i got them from that Madvanced one, either way they are he ebays one, only two problems,

one of the plugs that on headlight did match up to the plug on my truck, no biggie i just cut a lil slit on the headlight then the plug slipped in and clicked..

the other, about two weeks ago, it was raining in SoCal for like a week strait, then i noticed a lil fog build up in the bottom inner conner of my headlight, then the first sunny day it was all cleared up

plus its ebay, so what do u expect

other than that, they are great.....i kept my OEM ones so i can so i can attempt the retro-fit Mod, but that will happen later on in 2011, maybe.

14. Dec 30, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    Yugo2slo

Yugo2slo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Black Head Lights
    Thanks guys for all the help... I didn't see all of these responses... (I figured a lot out when I took out the grill... from another post.)

Went out and looked at the truck and figure it all out. Everything you said makes it way easy! Chris I totally get the whole half sit up deal... (I will for sure push the skirting aside.) Is that one screw that you are saying that you did not put back in?

Chris, I am originally from South Jersey (Vineland) hope youre not too snowed in.

Some of you are suggesting silcon... I am a little slow... where would you put the silicon?

Thanks again!

15. Dec 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    We're slowly recovering from the snowfall. It was definitely a big storm. Much different than my last winter, which I spent out by you, in Phoenix. I think I should've spent this winter out there again, lol.

As for the one screw, yes, that is the one that I left out. The headlight is definitely secure and will not rattle/shake, even with it missing.

As for the silicon. I'm not sure its really necessary, but I did use some on about 1/3 of the seam that gets resealed for peace of mind. After you reseal the headlight housing and lense together w/ the window weld, you may find some areas where the window weld didnt squeeze out or fill entirely. Although I'm sure its sealed below eye level, I decided to use Permatex Flowable Silicone (window & glass sealer). It comes in a white squeeze tube. It'll drip down and fill in any areas that may have been missed by the window weld. I havent had any condensation or anything build up in mine, so I know they're sealed up real well.

16. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    Dewman4

Dewman4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Haymarket, VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport
    black badges, aFe intake
    So I went ahead and ordered a set from Revotech off of ebay. They came in last weekend while I was out of town. I plan on hopefully installing them this weekend. I am not really familiar with doing modifications like this so is there any advice out there before I begin.

Also should I put some silcon around the lights to make sure they are sealed?

17. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah there is going to be one screw on both sides thats a pain the ass to get too! You have to reach from under the truck. Its going to be a the bottom corner nearest towards the fenders. But once you get those out, its pretty easy after that.

I'd reseal them if I were you just to play it safe. I got mine off of ebay and they were okay for a couple of years then the drivers side started collecting moisture so I resealed them.

18. Jan 4, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Well, follow the link I posted above to help you get the lights out. Otherwise, removal/install is straight forward.

Adding a line of silicon around the lights wouldnt hurt and probably recommended since you dont know how well they were sealed from the seller/mfg. I used the flowable window seal/silicon to cover the shallow areas on my bhlm.

Products Discussed in

To Top