Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

what size circuit breaker and wire

Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
austinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud of

Name: Austin
austinstaco's Tacoma Gallery
what size circuit breaker and wire

I wanting to instal a blue sea systems 12 circuit fuse block for all my accessories. I need to know what size wire to run to the fuse block and what size circuit breaker to use.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
i would say at least 0 gauge if not 1/0
100 amp

depending on what exact;y your using/ installing
Old 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
austinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud of

Does anyone have a set up like this? pics please
Old 12-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Not to direct traffic away from TW, but I started here back when I did my install: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=287644

I believe I used #10 conductor for the battery supply to my Blue Sea panel. I fused the positive at 50 A. I run a 12 circuit panel for back-up lights, fog lights, CB radio, and have plans for a couple of extra sets of lights and a 12 V fridge hookup and on board air. I will increase the supply conductors and main fuse size as my load increases.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
The distance between the battery and fuse block (assuming the fuse block is under the hood) is pretty small.

The summation of load supplied by the fuse block should NOT exceed the ampacity of the fuse block supply conductor.

The fuse connected between the battery and the fuse block should be sized to 1. protect that short length of supply conductor and 2. supply the total fuse panel load without blowing.

Remember also to consider the maximum current that the blue sea panel can supply (probably fairly high).
Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
i would say at least 0 gauge if not 1/0
100 amp

depending on what exact;y your using/ installing
only planing on : 4 hella 500ff, 2 hella matador, maglite rechargable, cb radio, ham radio , inverter and air compressor
Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
not to change the subject, are you a registered ham radio operator?
i didn't think anyone did that anymore
gona take the test next month my gpaw got me in to it
Old 12-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #10

found this
http://bluesea.com/files/resources/r...010_Rev002.pdf
thanks for the help
Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #11

can i use a battery isolator down stream of the circuit breaker, so that everything on the fuse panel is killed with the ignition so i do not have to worry about draning my battery
Old 01-26-2011, 02:33 AM   #12
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
Hey boss,

in your setup... you have a circuit breaker... what is your amps?
Some guys do a 30A, typical of fuse
Some guys do a 100A, covering the whole setup.

if you have a bunch of fuses for each compenent, do you need a 30A or 100A circuit breaker...

thanks boss....

Owen
Old 02-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
Average JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to behold

Army: 4ID
Name: Matt
Average JOE's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
Average JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to behold

Army: 4ID
Name: Matt
Average JOE's Tacoma Gallery

The wire on the right is from the AMP for my subs. It has a 100 AMP fuse. I used a 150 AMP breaker. The package from Blue Sea recomends a 125 AMP Breaker. I couldn't find one any where so I got the 150 AMP. I used 4 gage wire.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #15
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Will be wiring up all my stuff this weekend;

Blue sea (5026) 12 circuit with negative bus w/ cover
100 amp circuit breaker
4 gauge wire
Old 04-29-2011, 01:30 AM   #16
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
im so screwed when i try this, i just bought all the shit last night haha
Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 AM   #17
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody6047 View Post
im so screwed when i try this, i just bought all the shit last night haha

trust me this is going to be very interesting for me as well... I am about as far from an electrition as possible. I just hope I dont get juiced, fry anything or make a bunch of hideous wire nests everywhere.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #18
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
agreed...you should be ok with a 4G wire using ~100-125A breaker or fuse. Eventhough you don't plan to use the full 100A, I recommend wiring it up as such because you don't want to have to rewire it in the future if you decide to add more accessories. It's also safer if you sell your truck as-is, loan it, or let someone work on it....you don't want anyone else assuming it's wired for capacity when it actually isn't.