1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PIAA 510 Fogs and Hella backup lights installed

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by RobZ71LM7, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Dec 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    RobZ71LM7

RobZ71LM7 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mount Washington, KY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Reg Cab, 2.7L 5-speed
    Just installed PIAA 510's in the factory location with the provided harness. They work great and the included harness is nice. I was concerned about mounting into the plastic bumper at first, but it ended up working nicely. I removed the plastic inserts and set the stock PIAA bracket in the center between the two bulges I cut the hole with a 90* air powered angle grinder and burr bit. I tossed the factory mounting nut and placed two large fender washers underneath along with a flanged M10 nut to spread the clamping force over a larger area. They're very secure.

I mounted the relays for both lights into two unused M8 threaded holes on the driver's side inner fender. I used "mini" fuse holders since they are the same type fuse as used elsewhere on the truck.

I ditched the factory 16 ga wiring for the Hella fogs/rear backup lights and upgraded to 14 ga and ran it down the driver's side frame rail. They are grounded on a stud behind the driver's side taillight.

I used an amber switch for the front lights and a red switch for the rear lights both from Oznium. They energize the relays with power from the under dash fuse block which is only hot when the key is in the "on" position.

PIAA 510 Plasma Ion Fog Lamp

http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-5161-Pla..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1293059267&sr=1-1

Hella Optilux 1200 Fog lights (used as backup lights)

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-H71010281-Optilux-Rectangular-Halogen/dp/B0002MA3NK

IMGP0017.jpg
    IMGP0018.jpg
    IMGP0027.jpg
    IMGP0015.jpg
    IMGP0030.jpg
    IMGP0031.jpg

2. Dec 22, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    nice to see a decent looking option for the factory fog location, I think you may have convinced me to look into those.

3. Dec 23, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    gone2baja

gone2baja Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab W/off road package
    The lights look great, I also like the fact they nicely in the factory location.

Did you notice a noticeable improvement over the stock units?

It really looks like a neat and clean install it looks like a nice upgrade.

4. Dec 23, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    RobZ71LM7

RobZ71LM7 [OP] Member

Member:
    Mount Washington, KY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Reg Cab, 2.7L 5-speed
    I didn't have factory fogs before the PIAA's. I had placed an order on eBay for the ~$100 Chinese knock-offs of the OEM fogs. But they were cancelled and I'm glad as these fogs fit nicely and are really well built. I think $100 is too much to pay for Chinese copies. Just be sure to leave an air gap around the housings and plastic. They get really hot even in 30* F weather.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top