Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Integrated reverse lights into stock bumper & painting black (how to)

Old 12-25-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
APTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
APTJ's Tacoma Gallery
Integrated reverse lights into stock bumper & painting black (how to)

alright..so backing up my driveway at night was getting kinda sketchy w/ tinted tails and tinted windows...

So I'm getting new lights for where I had these mounted in the bed so I moved them to the bumper.

To start this project you will need to remove the bumper..
then tape lines from bolt to top of bumper for a straight and even line on both sides of the bumper for symmetrical cuts for the lights..(sry no pics for now on these steps.)
measure holes, and cut
I used a die grinder to get a hole started and then cut with reciprocal saw the rest of the way. heres how it looks with the holes before painting
remove all plastic from bumper.(for the most part plastic tabs)

then when sanded the bumper until completely dull and applied 4 coats of grey primer.

half painted half primer (gloss black krylon)

all painted (4 coats again)

then applied 2 coats of gloss.

then mount..and prepare for wiring
To power these lights a relay will be needed as it is no where near enough power if connected to reverse lamps in stock tail lights (TL). Sooo..this means run a wire from your battery to a relay that can be installed inside the TL area..then w/ the truck off put it in reverse (flat ground and block it)..use a tester to find which connection is the reverse power and tap into that (pink w/ white stripe).
Then connect that to the S (switch) on the relay..connect the L (lights/load) to a wire that will run to the reverse lights. and finally the wire that is running from the battery to B...the relay I used grounds to the case as you can see here...

Then intstall and wire lights..to hold the lights in place I bent the housing so it would be tight when pushed in and added emblem glue around for an extra stick..then added silicone around the outside for a seal.
Finished product:

Old 12-25-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
APTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedAPTJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

APTJ's Tacoma Gallery
oh yea..Merry christmas TW..haha got my presents now I just have to wait for daylight to go play with my new tools! haha
Old 12-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
too many clowns, not enough circuses.
daftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: François Dillinger
daftcon's Tacoma Gallery
dude thats pretty badass. im gonna be repainting my bumper eventually, and this is something i will for sure consider. good work!
Old 12-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Gutsy mod but it looks pretty good!! Good job!! Hey how did you take that 2nd to last pic with the truck in reverse but no one stepping on the brakes!!
Old 12-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
Master Technician
1badhd is on a distinguished road
Name: 1badhd
1badhd's Tacoma Gallery
Key on engine OFF......gear selector in reverse!!!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #6

APTJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badhd View Post
Key on engine OFF......gear selector in reverse!!!
and w/ park brake ON..haha
Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #8

APTJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by articcs22 View Post
what kind of lights did you use? bright?
$20 dollars at auto zone...no seal or discoloring problems while I had them mounted in the bed so i figured they'd be good and easy to replace if I hit the light on something..they're pretty bright but im sure there's brighter. Pics tonight of truck in reverse
Old 12-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #10

APTJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Nice work. Almost makes me wanna cut up my bumper. But not quite....Gotta collect a few more tools first.
Same..i'd really like to build my own but Im short of some training and tools also..guess i can just perfect the sketchup for now and dream on
Old 12-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #11

APTJ's Tacoma Gallery
and the night pics i promised:

Old 12-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
TacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
TacoMal's Tacoma Gallery
They obviously don't work... You ran over the curb!! J/K

Nice work! Looks great!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work!

If i wasn't planning on a plate rear I would be doing this soon. But def a good reference for the wiring
Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #17

APTJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
Legit Mod!
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMal View Post
Nice work! Looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
awesome job. Not bad for a young fellow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
Nice work!
If i wasn't planning on a plate rear I would be doing this soon. But def a good reference for the wiring
Thanks guys
haha..I want to build my plate bumper
Old 12-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #18
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Nice work!! I'm really liking that! Our stock reverse lights definitely blow.
It looks like they're aimed a bit off though. Not that it really matters, but it'd probably bother me. Can you adjust up/down on them or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMal View Post

Nice work! Looks great!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #19

APTJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
Nice work!! I'm really liking that! Our stock reverse lights definitely blow.
It looks like they're aimed a bit off though. Not that it really matters, but it'd probably bother me. Can you adjust up/down on them or no?

I suppose you could but with the angle of the bumper that is the way they sit when flush and I'd prefer them flush over angled. In the pictures the main concentration of the light does seem to be aimed pretty low but overall light is still very bright and fills out the area behind and to the sides well.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #20

APTJ's Tacoma Gallery
thought i'd make a quick vid with the new gopro

that main pt. of light is about 10 ft from the bumper...it could stand to be aimed a bit higher.