Notices

Sylvania Silver Star Ultra's

Old 12-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member
S-Runner '01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
S-Runner '01's Tacoma Gallery
Sylvania Silver Star Ultra's

I've currently got a pair of Xenon Quartz CyberWhite bulbs in my truck now and I think they are brighter than my original H3's but I'm thinking about replacing them with a pair of Sylvania Silver Star Ultra's.
Anyone out there used the Silver Star Ultra's and can give me their opinion about them. Are they noticeably brighter than any others? Are they worth the extra money?
jj
Old 12-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Not really brighter much. Mainly just whiter. I have Silverstars in my heads and fogs. Probably not worth the money but decent upgrade since I'm not doing an HID projector retro right now.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
i replaced my stocks for the Silverstar Ultras and i think they're noticeably brighter and whiter. not looking to do an HID upgrade anytime soon so these are a good easy upgrade... not to mention that i got them for $35 at Pep boys because of the mail-in rebate
Old 12-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Silver Star Ultras are a waste of money. They do indeed put out more light from the filament, but the blue coating destroys the extra output. They do appear more white, but at the cost of total light emitted. I would suggest instead (shipped to your door for the same price or less) the Osram 70/65w bulbs available from Candlepower.com (and other sources). They work just fine on factory wiring. Edited to add: I just replaced Silverstar Ultras with the Osrams I mention above, and just completed a 4300 mile road trip with them. They are far superior to the Silver Stars.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
i heard good reviews on those Osrams. im bout to look those up...
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta_taco View Post
FYI Osram Sylvania is the full name of the company..... same company.
Yes, but with every manufacturer, there are major differences in product lines. Cadillac and Chevrolet are owned by GM, but make very different products. Some of the bulbs are made in different locales as well--i.e. China vs Germany. Silver Stars are mostly marketing gimmick.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:06 AM   #7
bgbdwlf is on a distinguished road
bgbdwlf's Tacoma Gallery
i just put some in they are a little better than stock going to order some osrams. i might do the sliverstars in the driving lights since osram doesn't have an h10 bulb for them.

i would look for a better option for the headlights before you buy the sliverstars.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:14 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Recently scored 2 pack of H4 ultras off ebay for 29.00 shipped.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
im happy with silverstars....
Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
im happy with silverstars....
X2. just recently changed out my stock 4+ year old bulbs...big difference.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
X2. just recently changed out my stock 4+ year old bulbs...big difference.
x3 i just replaced last set of silverstar ultras after 2 years. I have them in both healights and fogs and I have been very happy with them.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
jeff618 is on a distinguished road

jeff618's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow hate ss ultras. love new solux.

I came here to soley complain about the ultras...

If you are disappointed in Sylvania Silverstar Ultras like I was because they only last under a year, get the SOLUX bulbs. They're a noticable improvement in brightness and a fair amount whiter than OEM (similar to the ultras), but they don't burn out real fast. Their claim is they last as long as standard OEM bulbs. At $50 a set for ultras, I wish I would have realized that the ultras burn out so fast. The solux are about the same price, but (according to solux) they last up to 4x longer than ultras. Oh, and they're not illegal and they're not obnoxious/blinding...just better lighting.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I run the regular Silverstars. They have a notible difference in output compared to stock bulbs.

The only thing that sucks about them is that I have to replace them every 6-9 months when one burns out.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
I've got Silver Star Ultras in both my Tacoma and Escape and they work great. I'm happy with them
Old 06-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
Dbl.agent is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
Dbl.agent's Tacoma Gallery
I just swapped out my Silverstar Ultra's for a set of Piaa Intense whites. Although the Silverstars were an improvement over OEM bulbs, the Piaa's are even better. They are 4100K on the Kelvin scale. HID's are about 4300k on the same scale so they are pretty close.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
jjohnson37 is on a distinguished road
Name: john
jjohnson37's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced oem headlights in my car with SSU's. Would like to have my money back.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Eltacos is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Officer
Eltacos's Tacoma Gallery
I have been using SilverStar's in my past 4 vehicles. I enjoy the higher output compared to the stock bulbs, but I can't stand how they don't last as long. I want to go with HID H4 high/low style. I know there is a lot of glare but everyone in my area seems to be running plug and play HID's it seems. I will just be part of the crowd.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Huh... why would you want to contribute to the problem? Get a set of Osram 65w/70w halogens from Candlepowerinc.com or Daniel Stern Lighting. They are pretty nice, far better than Silver Stars, and probably have similar longevity. When they were new, my Osrams made my Lightforce 240's nearly invisible at all but extreme distances.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #19
jeff618 is on a distinguished road

jeff618's Tacoma Gallery
Man - I HATE that glare...its very dangerous. As a side note, I'm still really enjoying the solux bulbs I mentioned previously. The lines on the road really pop out YET I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic once. I think I found a set-up that works great without tearing the vehicle apart.