Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Has anyone taken apart an HID bulb?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone taken apart an HID bulb?

Well I have 4 HID lights up front and my issue is that the leads from the ballasts to the bulbs just aren't long enough. So I spliced them (dumb-ish) and extended the lines so that I didn't have the plugs/ballasts hanging out of my truck. I am now occasionally having firing inconsistencies because as I attempt to hide the wires, I am getting a pinch right at the solder and the ballast senses that and stops sending power. Does anyone know how the wire connects to the bulb as well as where someone may be able to obtain some longer leads that go to the bulb.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
what wire did you use to extend them?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have heard that extending the wires from the ballast to the bulb is a big no no. Even when spliced and sealed properly the high current can jump from the splice to other wires or ground and cause shorts.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I have heard that extending the wires from the ballast to the bulb is a big no no. Even when spliced and sealed properly the high current can jump from the splice to other wires or ground and cause shorts.
This...It is ok and it works if you use high voltage wire and connectors. But otherwise you are asking for trouble. You can actually buy extensions for the bulbs online.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachie View Post
what wire did you use to extend them?
The same size wire used on them in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yeah, I know that now... But I was young and dumb. Everything is spliced and sealed right but a) it doesn't look great and b) when I try to hide them, one of the bends is on a splice point and it pinches and yes... essentially shorts out.

I understand what I should and should not have been doing haha. I just want to know if I can go back and fix er!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #6

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
just buy new bulbs. They are $15/pr from ddm with a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
This...It is ok and it works if you use high voltage wire and connectors. But otherwise you are asking for trouble. You can actually buy extensions for the bulbs online.
Yup, These are actually high voltage. HIDs require 23,000 volts to fire. This kind of voltage requires specially insulated wiring. The best thing is to buy commercially made extensions.

http://www.carhidkits.com/wiring-ada...-pair-381.html
Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #8

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunnerSeth View Post
Yup, These are actually high voltage. HIDs require 23,000 volts to fire. This kind of voltage requires specially insulated wiring. The best thing is to buy commercially made extensions.

http://www.carhidkits.com/wiring-ada...-pair-381.html

Precisely. Hey seth wanna do my guages at mod day? haha
Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Only good if he spliced it on the bulb wiring and not the ballast wiring.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
Navy:
Quote:
Precisely. Hey seth wanna do my guages at mod day? haha
Sure
Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Haha I don't need new bulbs though. I will still have the exact same problem... I still need a bulb with longer leads in order to properly plug in as well as conceal the wires you know?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #12

Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
good point. new ballasts are what like 30?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
I did in fact splice the bulb wiring. That way I was able to move the connections further into the truck
Old 01-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I did in fact splice the bulb wiring. That way I was able to move the connections further into the truck
So buy new bulbs and the proper extensions.