Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

first gen hid install rubber boot

Old 01-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
first gen hid install rubber boot

So, I put my hid's in last night, from ddm.

I'm not happy that the rubber boot doesn't fit over them to keep the dust and dirt out of the light housing, any suggestions?

Also, there is that little metal shield on them, it seems to be giving me a cut-off on the bottom of my lights with the high beams on, can i take it off? has anyone ever taken one off? and it is supposed to be shield on the bottom right?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
I actually just installed mine today, You install the rubber boot by taking the shield off and then slidding the boot over the bulb. as for running without the shield on i really have no idea what that would do. I left mine on and they're super bright with it
Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
ok cool, I just didnt want to accidentally touch the bulb, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

maybe I'll try them with the shield off while I'm at it
Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just do it slowly and you should be good, I never touched the sides of the bulb when I did it. Worked awesome for me though
Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #5

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
oh, and you guys with 2nd gen's use the h4 bulbs too right?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

yup yup!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #7

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
cool. I've made a pot of coffee and heading out to the garage, be back in bit with answers!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #8

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if the 2nd gen boot is different than the first gen boot, but there's no way I can get it on there. I took off the shield, but still nothing.

as far as light output with the shield off, the cutoff on the top is pretty much gone with low beams, but no one was flashing me, if they do I'll have to fix it.
The high beams actually work now, and don't have a weird cutoff on the bottom, I'll leave it for now.
I really wanna get the boots on there somehow though.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Lets see Pics man!! And what intensity did you get??

I have got to order some!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #10

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
Lets see Pics man!! And what intensity did you get??

I have got to order some!
35 watt 5000k, I'm not overly impressed though, my silverstars were pretty good, but they are nice on the eyes on the highway.

pics, we'll see if I feel like it in a bit...
Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
just cut a slice to the middle opening of the boot, pull apart and wrap around the bulb. thats what i did and so far so good.

the shield on the bulb helps prevent blinding on comming traffic.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #12

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
just cut a slice to the middle opening of the boot, pull apart and wrap around the bulb. thats what i did and so far so good.

the shield on the bulb helps prevent blinding on comming traffic.
that should work!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
that should work!
its worked great for me so far!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #14

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
oh and as far as blinding other people, my buddy got hid's at the same time as me, for his f-150, and his don't have the shield, and neither do normal bulbs, thats what confuses me!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #15
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Are you saying you dont think they were worth it?

Or should i get 55 watt?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #16

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tacoprerunner View Post
Are you saying you dont think they were worth it?

Or should i get 55 watt?
If you have some cash to spend, sure go for it, but there are other thing's i'd do first!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
oh and as far as blinding other people, my buddy got hid's at the same time as me, for his f-150, and his don't have the shield, and neither do normal bulbs, thats what confuses me!
the bulbs with a shield are called "bi-xenon" which give you both hi/lo HID beams. the bulbs w/o the sheild uses HID for the low beams but halogen for the high beams.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #18

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
the bulbs with a shield are called "bi-xenon" which give you both hi/lo HID beams. the bulbs w/o the sheild uses HID for the low beams but halogen for the high beams.
nope, his are bi-xenon and don't have the shield...
Old 01-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #19

so his hi-beams use xenon light and not halogen?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #20
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
The 5000 k bulb from ddm are different then the rest. I had the 6k before, and now the 5k. The 5k are a bit bigger than the 6k.