1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"FOG LIGHTS ON W/PARKING...LOW BEAM...HIGH BEAM..."

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by "OLYMPIC VIEW", Jan 9, 2011.

1. Dec 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    j.smitty17

j.smitty17 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Midland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off Road Dbl Cab Magnetic Grey
    Tailgate anti-theft, weathertech floor mats, console divider, console pistol holster, K&N Air Intake, color match grille, Toyota bed liner, rear view mirror riser...
    So I let my truck sit for about 10 minutes and then restarted it, the check engine and TRAC OFF light are now off, guess my truck didn't like what I did

Has anyone else tried this mod with a 2013 and gotten it to work?

2. Dec 30, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    abbacoa

abbacoa Member

Member:
    Cumming Ga
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    A/T fog lights,rear sway bar
    I missed a part of the conversation as to whether you followed the pics that show you how to wire it. I did just what the pics showed & mine work fine. Now they have come on & off by them selves a few times but haven't noticed that lately.
    As far as the dash warning lights go, not sure there, only thing I can think of is you wired it wrong.

3. Dec 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    j.smitty17

j.smitty17 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Midland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off Road Dbl Cab Magnetic Grey
    Tailgate anti-theft, weathertech floor mats, console divider, console pistol holster, K&N Air Intake, color match grille, Toyota bed liner, rear view mirror riser...
    I did everything exactly like the OP said and showed but nothing worked, my fog lights would not even come on after I added the wire

I even tried other slots within the fuse and that changed nothing

I will admit I'm no electrician when it comes to truck wiring but I can read haha

4. Jan 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    abbacoa

abbacoa Member

Member:
    Cumming Ga
    Vehicle:
    Too bad you didn't take a pic of what you did, could of helped in solving the issue. You might able to find someone close by on here that's done this w/ success to help you if you're still interested.

5. Jan 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Keep in mind, if you live in a state that has annual inspections, you will have to reverse this mod.

6. Jan 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    abbacoa

abbacoa Member

Member:
    Cumming Ga
    Vehicle:

I don't have that issue here but what are they looking for? If things are wired right then you can turn them off. The lights won't come on if the switch is off. Are they opening up the relay box for this inspection? And if they're that anal would darkened brake lens,after market HID lights & yellow fog lights be an offensive too?
    Seems thay have nothing better to do.

7. Jan 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    They are looking for the fogs to be disabled with anything other than low beams.
    Off, parking lights only, or high beams the fogs must be disabled.

And yes, tinted brake lights and aftermarket HID would be a problem if they can not be properly aimed without glare.
    Amber fogs are legal.

California doesn't have annual safety inspections (sometimes I wish it would), but the old law is still on the books and CHP could set up a safety checkpoint at any time.

8. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    SCConstable

SCConstable Member

Member:
    Carolinas
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB 4x4 SR5 TRD

I tried it last night on my 2010 and had the same results. Killed the fogs entirely.

9. Jan 4, 2013 at 4:24 AM
    abbacoa

abbacoa Member

Member:
    Cumming Ga
    Vehicle:
    It confuses me as it worked fine when I had my 05 Tacoma & now my 2013. Fuse box is separate now but the same sequence. If anyone on here is close by you may be able to get them to help if you really want to pursue it.

10. Jan 4, 2013 at 5:41 AM
    Redtaco12

Redtaco12 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 taco 4x4 dc longbed
    Sorry to beat a dead horse... I have a 2012.

After re-reading the thread I'm still not sure if the method in post 154 pictured below is what I want? Does it require an extra fuse? I don't want the fogs to come on with only ignition, but instead with headlights markers etc...

Is there a way to do the OP method without leaving the smaller box or is that the trade off- extra fuse and ignition on in order to stay in the smaller box only?

Anyone have trouble with having wired between the two boxes with moisture etc?

11. Jan 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    SCConstable

SCConstable Member

Member:
    Carolinas
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Could not make mine work using the towing relay, but I did tie to terminal 3 on the battery charge relay, and it worked fine.

12. Jan 4, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    Corndawg

Corndawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab TRD off road Radiant Red
    2.5 inch pro comp lift Cobra XRS 9745 Detector 15 band scanner Pioneer DEH-P6900UB Python 991 remote start/ security. Tinted license plate covers Fog Light Mod PIAA Extreme White 4000K Replacement bulbs Red LED Dome and Map lights LED replacement tail light bulbs Black Weather Tech Floor Liners front and rear
    worked flawless for me, but for some reason yesterday i left my lights on ya know.. i turned my truck off and key out of ignition and my headlights were still on to my surprise. i thought it was rigged so if the key was out the lights automatically go off regardless of the switch on or off

13. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    All bets are off when you start modding wiring.

If the mod applies power to the fogs through an alternate path, it could feed back through the relay and power other things that were not intended to be powered with the key off.

14. Jan 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM
    Corndawg

Corndawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab TRD off road Radiant Red
    2.5 inch pro comp lift Cobra XRS 9745 Detector 15 band scanner Pioneer DEH-P6900UB Python 991 remote start/ security. Tinted license plate covers Fog Light Mod PIAA Extreme White 4000K Replacement bulbs Red LED Dome and Map lights LED replacement tail light bulbs Black Weather Tech Floor Liners front and rear
    good to know, it just started happening suddenly though. it never used to do that

15. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    waheed

waheed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Waheed
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD
    Banks power Exhaust, 4x4 LED mod, Duratracs, SNUGTOP, LED insideNout
    [QUOTE="OLYMPIC VIEW";2583562]Well...

I know this was/is a sticky, but wanted to pass on my results of this mod as well as changing factory white bulbs to the Nokya Arctic Hyper Yellow 45W fogs...

The mod I used was previously posted by lextech...pull the fog relay and bend tab #1 flat...connect a 22g-18g female blade connector...take short length of 18g wire and splice and crimp/mate with the female blade connector connected to tab #1 on the fog relay, re-install the fog relay...then take the other end of the 18g wire, splice, and insert the spliced end of wire into socket #3 of the towing tail relay...re-install the towing tail relay...this mod took all of five minutes...I also swapped out my stock fogs for the Nokya Arctic Hyper Yellow fogs...I'll post some illuminated pics tommorrow...also, remember to swap out the rubber gaskets from the factory fog bulbs to the Nokya's so that they fit properly!!

The fog light mod is great...

fogs come on with parking lights...
    fogs come on with headlights...
    fogs come on with high beams...
    the mod this way is "fuse protected"...
    I did notice that the green fog on illumination on the dash does not illuminate when the fogs/parking lights are on, but when you switch to headlights it illuminates...

great mod...fool-proof...no splicing...or having to remember if you turned off your fogs as with the other fog light on anytime mods...this way the fogs turn off with the factory timer off light switch...[/QUOTE]

That sounds complicated for the rest of us NON-electricians..:homer:....some pictures of what to bend and splice and tape would have been nice :tumbleweed:

16. Jan 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    waheed

waheed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Waheed
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD
    [QUOTE="OLYMPIC VIEW";2674953]Here are some pics...not the greatest quality and taken in the garage because it was still light out...when I have a chance I'll re-post some night-time pics--:cheers:[/QUOTE]

I am gonna try this with my 2010, ohhh boy, hope all goes well :headbang::cheers::canada:

17. Jan 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    waheed

waheed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Waheed
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD
    [QUOTE="OLYMPIC VIEW";2583562]Well...

I know this was/is a sticky, but wanted to pass on my results of this mod as well as changing factory white bulbs to the Nokya Arctic Hyper Yellow 45W fogs...

The mod I used was previously posted by lextech...pull the fog relay and bend tab #1 flat...connect a 22g-18g female blade connector...take short length of 18g wire and splice and crimp/mate with the female blade connector connected to tab #1 on the fog relay, re-install the fog relay...then take the other end of the 18g wire, splice, and insert the spliced end of wire into socket #3 of the towing tail relay...re-install the towing tail relay...this mod took all of five minutes...I also swapped out my stock fogs for the Nokya Arctic Hyper Yellow fogs...I'll post some illuminated pics tommorrow...also, remember to swap out the rubber gaskets from the factory fog bulbs to the Nokya's so that they fit properly!!

The fog light mod is great...

fogs come on with parking lights...
    fogs come on with headlights...
    fogs come on with high beams...
    the mod this way is "fuse protected"...
    I did notice that the green fog on illumination on the dash does not illuminate when the fogs/parking lights are on, but when you switch to headlights it illuminates...

great mod...fool-proof...no splicing...or having to remember if you turned off your fogs as with the other fog light on anytime mods...this way the fogs turn off with the factory timer off light switch...[/QUOTE]

Rookie electrician here, the splice part in tow relay #3, a diagram or pic, anybody?:smack:

18. Jan 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    I went to try this method today but there was nothing to plug the end into.

19. Jan 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    might help.

http://youtu.be/Yrh9Abjmwag

20. Jan 23, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    alegav

alegav TeamBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD T|X Baja
    Pelfreybilt IFS Skid, Mid Skid and Plate Bumper, Rigid Industries Dually's, ARB CKMA12 On Board Air, Kenwood TM-281A Radio, Rear view mirror relocation bracket, Wheelers SuperBumps, Toytec Baja Spacer
    Ya it's different for the 2012's

Products Discussed in

To Top