1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Light Install

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Osiris117, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Aug 27, 2008 at 11:56 AM
    Osiris117

Osiris117 [OP] "Historicly, Historic"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Blazing Blue Metallic 2017 TRD Sport 4x4
    Totally "Stock"
    Hey everyone,
    I have recently purchases a set of LED Halo fog lights for my 2008 Taco and have run into a problem:confused:. I want to put them in the factory bumper pockets but since my truck didnt come with fog lights from the factory I need the adapter that would normally come with the factory lights to install my aftermarket set:mad::mad:. Of course my localm dealer was less than helpful and all 6 off road shops in twown all want me to but a $500 bull bar to put my lights on:eek::eek:, no one seems to know where I can get these adapters:(. I have even tried a few junk yards in my area and although they have some Tacos none had factory fog lights either.:mad: Can anyone steer me in the right direction on where to get the factory adpaters or give me a tip on installing these lights into my bumper pockets.
    Thanx,
    - Matt

2. Aug 27, 2008 at 12:21 PM
    Warped

Warped N4LJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Eastern Ky
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport AWD
    Not sure what "adapter" you are referring to.
    The factory fog lights snap directly into the bumper openings.
    No adapter required.

Jim

3. Aug 27, 2008 at 12:40 PM
    zombot

zombot Scavenger

Member:
    savannah
    Vehicle:
    08 white debadged panda
    bull bar and offroad lights, tool box and other minor storage mods
    the problem is he wants to put NON-factory lights in there.
    i'm having the same problem. i don't want to keep returning lights that won't fit in my stock openings, but don't want to pay toyota prices for ones that snap in perfectly.

i guess he's asking about any brackets or adapters to put non-toyota lights in.

4. Aug 27, 2008 at 12:44 PM
    Warped

Warped N4LJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Eastern Ky
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport AWD

I understand that he wants to install non-factory lights.
    But I believe that he has the impression that the factory lights have a bracket
    that will help him install the non-factory lights.
    He can't find the "factory adapters" because they don't exist.

Jim

5. Sep 1, 2008 at 3:04 PM
    IM4UH

IM4UH Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab
    This is from a prvious post but there are so many threads it is hard to read'em all. Anyway maybe this will persuade you to use factory lights.....I added OEM fog lights to my brand new 08 double cab Taco. It so easy, my Obama supporting neighbor coud have done it! :) My Taco was pre-wired and the harness is easily visible from underneath in the general proximity of the fog light holes. The first item to check is that your Taco is pre-wired. If so, all you need is around $350.00 and about 15 minutes.

Step 1 after removing the insert hole cover from the bumper is to simply line up the retainer clip on the fog light assemble with the retainer hole and push in from the front of the bumper. Both lights can be installed in 5 minutes easily. The plastic tape like material that holds the harness can be easily cut with clippers/small scissors and the wire harness plug clips on to the light bulb plug. It is easy to remove the light bulb from the fog light assembly, so if you have difficulty seeing, or have huge hands, then simply remove the bulb from the fog light assembly, plug it into the harness and re-insert the bulb in the fog light assembly. Both driver and passenger sides are identical.

Second step is to insert the relay for the fog light. The relay box is located on the inside of the engine compartment on the drivers side, right above the front wheel. The box is a plastic black box with a latch on one side and two clips on the other. Remove the cover and on the inside of the cover there is a template showing exactly where the fog light relay goes.Align the blades and plug in the relay. Another 5 minutes if you are not concentrating.

The third step is the most senitive since, if you slip you could scar the plastic around the dashboard where the new switch will be installed. The fog light switch goes in the slot closest to the driver side door. If you are not sure where it is, the owners manual shows you. The existing blank cover can be easily worked out of the hole with a very small screw driver or sharp pointed object. Simply work the blank out a little at a time by using the sharp object to gently pry the cover out from the top and bottom of the blank. In other words, stick the sharp object into the switch cover blank that slightly protrudes from the dashboard and pry it out a little at a time. Repeat from the top and bottom and be careful not to poke your self or scar the dash board. It may sound more difficult than it really is. Once you have the blank cover removed, the wiring plug that connects to the switch is attached to the blank and is removed and plugged directly on the OEM switch.

I thought about taking pictures, but that would have taken longer than installing the lights, relay, and switch.

The parts that you will need are:
    Qty (2) 81210-AA030 Fog Light Assemblies $143.00 each
    Qty (1) 90080-87010 Relay $16.81
    Qty (1) 84160-04010 Fog Lamp Switch $34.75

I bought the parts from 1sttoyotaparts.com, paid a little extra and received them 2nd day.

I like the OEM solution since it is easy to install, looks great, and the lights are adjustable up or down so you do not inadvertantly blind someone with a mis-aligned light beam.

6. Sep 1, 2008 at 3:42 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    If you still want to use aftermarket lights in the Fog Light location on the Tacoma, Home Depot sells these peices of flat steel with holes in them. You can bend them to make your own braket, and since the holes are already in it, not much drilling is required. :)

7. Nov 1, 2008 at 7:33 AM
    Roadking

Roadking New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    I also bought after market fog lights from blinglights, bought the switch from Toyota. The truck is pre-wired with end plugs to accept the OEM lights, but do not match the wire configuration of anything aftermarket. Toyota was slick to make sure that the only lights you can just "plug in" are theirs. The rest of the aftermarket product I have purchased, step-rails, towing hitch & wire harness, fog lamp switch were easy. The color coded wires for factory lights do not match the wires from blinglights. I have not installed them yet, do not want to burn up fuses, bulbs or damage my wiring harness. We have to wait until someone wants to take point, try different wire combinations to have them work properly and post the correct combinations. There is always the option of installing the wire harness that came with the blinglights, seems an excessive amount of work and the switch that is incuded does not fit the slot in the dash panel, thats wy I spent the extra money for the Toyota switch. Just waiting for someone else to start cutting in to the existing harness first.:eek:

8. Nov 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM
    Roadking

Roadking New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    I followed IM4UH and bought the Toyota set, got them the next day and took 25 minutes for everything to install. :rolleyes:
    Still have the Bling lights if somebody wants to buy them.:(

9. Jan 14, 2009 at 9:00 PM
    crgibson

crgibson Member

Member:
    Tustin, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Access Cab Silver Streak
    Camper shell, Tube steps, Mirror turn signals, PlasmaGlow FireStorm lightbar, HID fog lights, LED DRLs on front, Ultra brand Maverick rims.
    I'm In the process of installing yellow fog lights on my 07, 4-cyl. PreRunner regular cab. I bought them on eBay from Watomi Racing for $136.99 + SH & Tax (Calif.). Just search for "Tacoma OEM fog lights" at http://www.motors.ebay.com/ and you should find them. These appear to be factory equivalent. The lights fit right into the bumper. The kit comes with the switch, relay and pre-fabbed wiring harness in flex wire loom and fits 05-08 (and I'm guessing 09). From the look of the connectors, it appears that the fog light harness simply plugs in to connectors already in the under dash factory harness. Time will tell since I haven't gotten that far yet. The bummer is that they don't come with instructions or a wiring schematic so professional installation is recommended. Since there aren't many connections I figure I can work it out myself. It looks fairly idiot proof. I'll keep y'all posted.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Jun 14, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    scrinch

scrinch New Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Here is the wiring diagram for the 05-08 OEM fog lights.

Regards,
    BG

Attached Files:

11. Aug 19, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    rustyg61

rustyg61 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab, Speedway Blue
    Chrome front grille, cruise control, intermittent wipers, NASTA Nerf Bars. Fog Lights JVC Stereo Pioneer speakers
    These are direct OEM replacements for about $50 less per light!
    http://www.discountbodyparts.com/catalog/?N=4294963116+1725+11782+9209&Nr=OR(brand:Replacement,brand:Kool%20Vue,brand:perfect%20Fit,brand:US%20Auto%20Parts)&omPage=Part%20Name-Fog%20Light

12. Aug 26, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    bhawkeye700

bhawkeye700 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Stockbridge
    Vehicle:
    06 toyota x-runner
    blackend headlight housing, red turn signals, grill, AEM brute force intake, throttle body spacer, indash, red neons inside, blacked out tail lights
    did you ever install them?? pics??

13. Aug 26, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    bhawkeye700

bhawkeye700 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Stockbridge
    Vehicle:
    06 toyota x-runner
    blackend headlight housing, red turn signals, grill, AEM brute force intake, throttle body spacer, indash, red neons inside, blacked out tail lights
    you still have the blinglights??

14. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    tig1

tig1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Saint John,New Brunswick,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    n fabs,window visor tonneau ,bilstein 5100's all round.245/75R16Toyo A/T II
    Hi tig1 calling--have you tried Action Truck Cap,when I went to get a price for the set I wanted they told me that the set that they install wasn't an exact fit,but that they had no problems with them.I don't know if there in Fredericton,if not try here in Saint John N.B.

later tig1

15. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    bhawkeye700

bhawkeye700 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Stockbridge
    Vehicle:
    06 toyota x-runner
    yea i was told they wouldnt have an exact fit and then i saw some pics and they look way too small

16. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    BIGLuke

BIGLuke I'm a TW addict!

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 tacoma SR5 Double Cab Shortbed Speedwy
    Just a thought for you. I had very bad fogging in my oem fogs and wanted to replace them. I found these from ebay, they fit 100% perfect in place of the old ones use a diff bulb size but the stock plug for the bulb fits the new bulb perfect so no worries on having to run a new harness, relay, or switch. Also if you don't have the stock switch or harness the kit comes with everything you need to install it. The fogs look identical to the old ones and apear to be made out of the exact same material as my old ones. I have an HID kit installed in them also and have had them installed on my truck for 3 months so far and absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

EDIT: not that it's absolutely needed to say but I paid $80 plus shipping, you can see the price once you click on the link.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    bhawkeye700

bhawkeye700 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Stockbridge
    Vehicle:
    06 toyota x-runner
    thanks for the info, but i really want the halo fogs, those are the ones that are hard to find. what hid kit did you use?? how much was it??

18. Aug 26, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    BIGLuke

BIGLuke I'm a TW addict!

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    I know what you mean about the halo fog lamp I wanted that too I ordered two different sets one from blinglights and one from a random site. Both DID NOT FIT like advertized, both of them fell into the hole and looked way too small, the bulbs looked cheap and tiny IMO, the wiring harness DID NOT match any wire colors and it DID NOT come with a diagram or installation procedures. The random site refunded me the money for the kit, however blinglights stoped the customer service once they recieved payment and still to this day did not give me any help on what was needed to be done to return these, and the kit is still sitting in my garage. My sugestion DO NOT order from bling lights. As to the halo ring, the guy I bought the HID kit from has LED strips that are perfect length to fit inside of the fog lamp. So I decided to bake one of my old fogs and test it out and it fit fine and also worked fine, and IMO the ring looked better, brighter, and a better shade of blue. I haven't had the time to bake my new fogs to do this but when I do get the time I will. As to the HID kit I paid 150 for the fogs and 175 for the headlights. The kit I got for the head light is a byxenon because I wanted the high beam to be the same color as the low and the fogs thats why it was 25 extra. The kits come with a lifetime warranty on everything, even if your bulbs ever burn out they replace them free of charge. Here is the link to their website: http://euroefx.com/ . I didn't order from the site because one of the dealers is located close to me. Sorry for the long reply, hope it helped.

19. Aug 26, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    bhawkeye700

bhawkeye700 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Stockbridge
    Vehicle:
    06 toyota x-runner
    custom halo fogs?? niccee, you have any pics or a write up?? i just order some hids and im excited to put them in. i got so much modding i want to do.

20. Aug 26, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    BIGLuke

BIGLuke I'm a TW addict!

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Chicago suburbs IL
    Vehicle:
    HAHA Yes custom halo fogs that actually fit right. I'm super excited to do this soon. Unfortunatelly I don't have any pics or a write up yet... As soon as I get them done I will deff post pics, and maybe a writeup. The best part is the LED strips come in different lengths and colors, he has white, yellow, amber, green, pink, blue, purple and I think a couple others not too sure. I'm also going to do the BHLM for my lights and customize them to have "running" lights like the new Audi running lights except in blue. Can't wait to do that too. That will all come as soon as I stop working 80 hours a week lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top